Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blood Pressure Medicine after surgery

My surgery is tomorrow. I have been on blood pressure meds for several years now. Anyone had their blood pressure get better immediately after surgery? Does it take a couple weeks?

Hi Steve! I've been told by numerous Dr's that once u lose weight ur BP will get better and u won't have to take meds anymore. Of course that's not 100% guarantee but it will definetely get better.

Wish u the best on ur WLS!

I was on the lowest dose of Lisinopril (for BP) and Lipitor (for cholesterol) before surgery, due to diabetes-related hypertension and elevated cholesterol. My BP was not tremendously high (highest was 154/90) and the cholesterol wasn't horrible (175 total) but due to family history of both parents having two strokes a piece, it was better to be safe than sorry. I've since lost 50+ lbs and was taken off my Metformin (for diabetes) the DAY AFTER surgery, and my bp is better than ever, but the doc wants me to stay on the Lisinopril and 1/2 of the lowest pill dosage of Lipitor. My bp now hovers between 110/75 and 120/80 with the pills (and before surgery was higher, even with meds) and my cholesterol is 140 total. Exercise and losing weight is what will decrease your BP, not the surgery itself. And don't be offended if the doc wants to keep you on BP meds at lower doses as a prophylactic (a "just in case"). Doesn't mean you haven't made great improvements, but sometimes, if you have family history, it's better to stay on them...trust me, my goal was to be off ALL meds...but considering how many Vitamins I pop every day, two more TINY pills don't matter amongst the MONSTER Vitamins I take. lol

2 weeks after surgery I cut my lisonpril in half. (Or should I say--my doctor cut it in half!):)

I'm hoping to get off them altogether. I understand the dieting and exercise, and my wife has that all planned out, lol!

I had been on Lisonipril for 3 years. A month prior to my surgery date,1/23/14 they started me on the pre-op diet. I dropped 32 pounds right off the bat. One Sunday morning, I passed out. I immediately thought it was my diet. Wrong! I had low BP!! Just those 32 pounds made that big of a difference. They took me off my medicine BEFORE the surgery and I have felt great ever since. I have lost 45 pounds total and I am anxious for my next weigh in! I truly believe you will have success and your BP will get better. Best Wishes!

My blood pressure was super high -- almost uncontrolled even on 80 mg/day of lisinopril - prior to surgery. For about a week after surgery it was still high but controlled - my surgeon attributed the remaining hbp to the pain from surgery. After that it fell into the normal range and my dosage was cut in half, then by a quarter, then down to 10 mg per day and always in the low end of normal range. After several weeks I stopped the lisinopril entirely and my blood pressure now ranges from the low to mid normal range. My doctor says I probably could have stopped it immediately after that first week but she thought it was safer to taper me off just to make sure.

I was on a low dose of Valsartan (generic for hydrodiovan) prior to surgery. After surgery i was prescribed just Diovan, so no Water pill, because we are easily dehydrated. I go in to see my cardiologist in two weeks. I hope to be off this med entirely soon, but I think it will take a while, considering I have been on it for 7 years.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the feedback ! Will let you know how it goes after surgery!

I was on 20 mg of Lisiniprol and 10 mg Hydrochlorothiazide for the last two years. With the medication my average BP was 135/90. I lost 42 pounds before surgery. The Surgeon stopped both medications on the day of surgery. I have lost 48 pounds since then and BP averages 125/82 without any medication at all.

I was on an ACE inhibitor and a diuretic before surgery. When I was discharged the doc took me off the diuretic. Still taking the ACE inhibitor but probably off it in another 10-20 pounds.

Update: I am one week post op today, my blood pressure has been excellent since my preop appointment, but my Primary Care Doctor wants me to continue to stay on my blood pressure meds for one month following surgery. My next appointment with her will be the end of this month, I will let you know what happens with the blood pressure meds.

3 weeks post op now, my blood pressure had been running average, this past week, it is low. I go to the dr. next week and hopefully will get off the blood pressure meds, or at least start reducing them. Blood pressure was 99/68 yesterday. Don't have a lot of energy, don't know if that's from diet or the blood pressure or both!

More than likely it is the blood pressure medicine. When I went off mine, I couldn't believe the energy I had. I hope all goes well. You are doing great! :)