Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I be a slow loser?

Ok, so I've been on the pre-op diet for 12 days now (my surgery is on 2/25) and I've only lost 5 pounds. I kind of expected like 10 pounds at least. Does this mean that I'll be a slow loser?

Morning... I was thinking your surgery was on the 24th for some reason :-) I've been up looking at some youtube videos and saw you comment on one.. I was like wow she's all over the place too! lol... that's what it is all about research, research, research.

I don't really think you can compare your pre-op experience to your post-op. You have so many different factors going into play after the VSG. The "no" hunger issue, restriction... the possibility of your body going into ketosis..etc. etc. And you know as women our weight fluctuates so much due to nature. I lost 8 pounds prior to surgery and then 10 lbs the first week after...but haven't lost anything in a week... BUT I'm due this week (if you know what I mean) and I always get bloated and/or gain a about 2-3 pounds during that time.

It's just my two cents...but I don't think you should worry about it. Just focus on getting through the surgery and back home to recover. I am sure you will do just fine with your weight loss... just don't allow it to consume you. A watched pot never boils... I'm just focused on truly reaching deep within to resolve my love/hate relationship with food. Not using food for recreation but for sustenance and fuel.

And don't always look to the scale for your victories... focus on NSV (non-scale victories) as well. Case in point... my scale hasn't moved in a week....BUT my size 18's are very loose/baggy and my 16's are fitting me very comfortably. Not to mention my jawline is more pronounced.. so I know I am losing inches for sure.

Best wishes and a speedy recovery !

Edited by one_more_time

Everyone's prep diet is different so its hard to tell. I have seen preop diets with the patient eating 1200 calories a day and mine will be only 1 Protein shake a day and liquids so I may get around 500 calories with the yogurt we are allowed.

I dont think you can predict your future lose on that alone

Edited by BrandNewBrandy

That's not a bad loss for 12 days. I've lost slower than that in the past.

Your weight loss after the sleeve will be different than before. It could be fast, slow, or anything in between. The important thing is...it is coming off. You will lose and you will win. The stalls and gains mean nothing. They are just part of the process. In the end you will lose the fat.

Edited by gmanbat

Thanks guys, your words are very encouraging. I guess I'm getting the "I'm two days away from surgery" jitters!:) One More Time, hey beautiful lady! YES, I'm all over the place because you're right, I definitely did my research and I'm a Youtube-a-holic! lol I love watching the videos, but I don't have the nerve to start me own weight loss blog/channel.

Well I think your doing good just remember your weight is not as big as mine and I did medifast years ago and in 2 week I lost 12lbs in 2 weeks and I weighed little over 300lb..Good luck honey

Thanks guys, your words are very encouraging. I guess I'm getting the "I'm two days away from surgery" jitters! :) One More Time, hey beautiful lady! YES, I'm all over the place because you're right, I definitely did my research and I'm a Youtube-a-holic! lol I love watching the videos, but I don't have the nerve to start me own weight loss blog/channel.

I think once you start losing and getting closer to goal... you are going to be SO elated that will want the world to know about your success. I watched videos for like 3 hours straight (been up since 5) and I was seriously considering starting a WLS channel. I have been SO inspired this morning by people who were larger than me or around my same weight that have reached their goal and most did it in under 12 months.

This one lady was like 220 lbs.. a size 18 and she is now a size 2 ...and you would NEVER think she was ever larger than her current size. The changes are phenomenal... and if it can happen for them it can happen for you and me and any one else who is willing to commit and stay focused. One thing she did stress is her low carb way of eating. In all my years of dieting ( since I was 9 years old)..truly the only thing that has worked for me has been watching/counting carbs. I am going to be very mindful of the "kind" of carbs that I eat.... especially processed sugars. I think natural sugars (in moderation) are okay......

I digress.. again you will do fine! And if you do decide to do a channel... let me know so I can subscribe... :D

Edited by one_more_time

I will One More Time, you do the same!

Sandee, that's what I worry about too! I've seen posts on here where people were losing fast and those that lose slow. I don't want to be a slow loser.

I'm a slow loser. It is not so bad. You get used to it. Just don't compare yourself and you'll be fine. Being a slow loser is a mental thing.

Good things about losing slow:

People don't think you've had WLS, so fewer questions to answer.

Loose skin has more time to shrink back.

Less stress on the body.

You don't go through clothes as fast.

I'm sure there are others.

Sandee, incase I don't get on here before Tuesday, good luck! I will be praying for a safe surgery and can't wait to hear all about it!