Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Governor Chris Christie and the Lap-Band

Governor Chris Christie and the Lap-Band  

150 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the issue?

• He failed because his BMI of 45 keeps him in the morbidly obese category.
    • He is doing great because of his 100-pound weight loss in a year.
    • It’s too soon to tell. He’ll fail if he doesn’t lose any more weight or gains it back, but the surgery will be a success if he keeps losing weight.
    • I really can’t give an opinion – I do not know anything about him or his diet, and I would not want people to judge me if they didn’t know me.
    • Other – Read my answer in the discussion!

<p>If I would've started at 420 and only lost 100lbs (8 lbs/month) in a year, I would consider that a failure.</p> <p> </p> <p>I've already lost 69 pounds since surgery, and that has only been 2 months and started off about 40lbs lighter than him.</p>

Not very supportive Tikvah. As just about everyone else said, a 100 pound loss is not failure.

He had lost 100lbs in 1 year. Wow that is fantastic! But if he did for political reasons than he we have a big struggle with himself. His personality can also be detrimental to him also. He has the lap band which people say they can cheat on it and eat around it and gain the weight back. But honestly even with the sleeve and RnY we can do the same. I hope we all look at our head hunger and emotional eating because that can be our down fall. Christie is human and I don't know his eating habits and I will not judge him. He is human. :)

Wow, some of us can really get really get our high-horses, can't we? 100 pounds, a failure? Come on! And from a weight loss surgery support forum? I cannot even imagine the stress involved in being such a public figure with WLS; I give him (and others) kudos for that alone.

It took me over 2 years to lose 70, and believe me, if it had taken 3 or 4, I'd still be trying to lose -- with the help of my band. That's the great thing about the band ... It continues to work ... And it's one of the reasons I chose it after a lot of research. I wanted something that was not drastic, and that did have a short-term sweet spot in case I couldn't achieve such quick loss stats as other posters here. But that's just me.

In our own way, as long as we are getting healthier, we are all successes.

Oops, did NOT have a short term sweet spot

<p>If I would've started at 420 and only lost 100lbs (8 lbs/month) in a year, I would consider that a failure.</p> <p> </p> <p>I've already lost 69 pounds since surgery, and that has only been 2 months and started off about 40lbs lighter than him.</p>

Not very supportive Tikvah. As just about everyone else said, a 100 pound loss is not failure.

I am not trying to pretend to be supportive to someone who is not even on this forum.

They even talked about this on CNN at one point after the doctors report for the last primary said Christie was not a viable candidate in 2012 due to his morbid obesity.

I will guarantee any amount of money that Christie's political consultants said "Hey bubba, we need to get you slimmed down if you want to run and be a viable candidate in 2016". A MALE serious about losing weight with weight loss surgery should definitely do better than 100lbs in their first year when they are north of 350lbs.

Now, I understand why females are more outraged at my comments, as I know losing the weight with surgery is still a slower process than for men.

This is what I meant to post:

It's a tad presumptuous to say that Christie is not on this forum. Anonymity is a valuable and significant part of this forum. Did you really think that he would his real name? Very few of us here use our full names. Some don't even have a photo. Anonymity gives us the security to be honest. Even if Christie does not participate, I'm sure there are others here who have struggled and continue to struggle with their weight. You are only two months post- op - you have a long road ahead - hopefully one filled with continued success and good health. But it's unfair to label anyone of us a failure because of your idea of weight loss.

Edited by SIJoe

100 pounds in a year is awesome - I was surprised when I heard he got the band though...I would have thought by-pass or even sleeve based on the amount of weight he had to lose. Does he need to lose more to be healthy - yes, but he's healthier today and he was a year ago.

I personally believe he did it for political reasons - he wants to be president and he wasn't going to get there with his weight and health constantly in question. I wonder however, if his motivation was political and not pure with regard to his health, if he'll be successful after his life in politics is over.

Nonetheless - I'd take 100 pounds!!!!!!

Ok , let me start by saying, I don't like the guy politically, but no, my feelings are not party affiliated. That being said, I'm still glad he's doing well. To say that he only want to lose so he can be president is kind of an over assumption. All of us hAve our reasons, but in the end we all want to be thinner and healthier. Everyone acts amazed that people with bands lose so well. With any surgery it depends on what you are willing to put into it

Edited by SandyM

Funny that Christie's name came up. I had been researching wls for months, then saw his story in PEOPLE magazine and that motivated me to move ahead!

I'm very surprised he chose the lap band. My surgeon said he would not recommend that type of WLS for me.

One hundred pounds is NOT a failure. I wish him the best. Politically, I don't agree with him but as a fellow human being--I wish him the best of health.

I am glad I had the sleeve it was the best choice for me but everyone is different.

The type of weight loss is not necessarily determined merely by the amount of weight a person has to or chooses to lose. Those who have said they are shocked that he chose the lapband to lose his weight I would question why you would be so shocked?

Many of us that chose the lapband did so to avoid the re-routing of our guts, and the life long malabsorptive issues that come along with many of the alternative WLS.

The lapband can be and is a very effective tool for weight loss and in my opinion a greater tool for life long weight maintenance over the other surgeries.

There are many today who are being banded on top of their gastric bypass because they have gained weight a year or more after their surgery and need further assistance. The same can be said for those who have the sleeve, and have a regain of weight over time.

The lapband is the only adjustable WLS that while it is made for life long implantation it may also be removed, reversed or revised to another surgery.

While it is true that weight loss is faster with the other surgeries, it may not be what the doctor ordered for Mr. Christie or others.

He's done an amazing job with his weight loss as far as I am concerned, and everything else (about the man or his political position) is irrelevant in this forum.

The type of weight loss is not necessarily determined merely by the amount of weight a person has to or chooses to lose. Those who have said they are shocked that he chose the lapband to lose his weight I would question why you would be so shocked? Many of us that chose the lapband did so to avoid the re-routing of our guts, and the life long malabsorptive issues that come along with many of the alternative WLS. The lapband can be and is a very effective tool for weight loss and in my opinion a greater tool for life long weight maintenance over the other surgeries. There are many today who are being banded on top of their gastric bypass because they have gained weight a year or more after their surgery and need further assistance. The same can be said for those who have the sleeve, and have a regain of weight over time. The lapband is the only adjustable WLS that while it is made for life long implantation it may also be removed, reversed or revised to another surgery. While it is true that weight loss is faster with the other surgeries, it may not be what the doctor ordered for Mr. Christie or others. He's done an amazing job with his weight loss as far as I am concerned, and everything else (about the man or his political position) is irrelevant in this forum.

On the flip side of that, there are many, many people who are revising their band to sleeve or bypass because the band either fails or just doesn't produce results.

His decision opened the door for me to be brave enough to discuss weight loss surgery with my DH. I finally chose the sleeve not the band. Even though I am not a fan of Christie politically, I must credit him with getting me moving on what has become one of the best decisions of my life. Bravo Gov Christie.

I think a loss of 100 pounds is a real achievement .. gosh, I hope I can lose 100 pounds in a year. He has a band, not a by pass, not a sleeve, He is doing great

I think a lot of people don't understand that losing 100 pounds for someone like the people on My 600lb Life is not the same as someone who is 250lbs.

Thats why the doctor scolds his patients who are constantly under performing on their end.

I mean, anyone and everyone should be commended for losing weight, with or without surgery, but his results fall outside the wanted results for almost any surgeon.

Edited by Tikvah