Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What I would give for a Sandwich!

I had a sandwich for lunch..Well a 1/2 of a sandwich....Once you are post op for a while you will be able to eat a sandwich again......

Pre- op is hard but one of the great things about it is that you detox from all the junk in your system..Tell yourself that you are doing this to make it much easier for yourself after surgery....And you know what it is true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

You will continue to grieve the loss of some foods while on the pre-op diet, but that will be replaced with new friends: a feeling of lightness and pride, a craving for healthy foods, a disgust for unhealthy foods you used to eat, a desire to change your life! Hang in there, you will look back at this time and be amazed at how strong you really were. !! Keep up the good work !!

Edited by PuraVida37

Hang in there, Emily! The pre-op diet sucks! Mine lasted three weeks and, while mine was pretty liberal, as pre op diets go, (two Protein shakes, with frozen fruit if I wanted, all the diet Jello I could slam, one lean and green meal including 6 to 8 oz. of lean Protein and plenty of green veggies and salad a day so I was hardly suffering), I was about to go out of my mind! I was so happy to have my surgery, just to end that d*mned pre-op diet! LOL

When you start dreaming of sandwiches and feeling as if you will go nuts, remember that the h*ll of your pre-op diet is only temporary and it is for the best of reasons. It is to prepare your body for your Lap Band surgery, to shrink your liver so that your surgeon can get in there and safely and effectively place your band around your stomach. If your liver is too large, trying to place your band would be too risky to your life and your surgeon will simply stop your procedure and close you up without giving you your Lap Band. So, keep that in mind and power through. That is what I told myself, every time I was tempted to cheat on my pre-op diet. I would look at some tasty morsel and ask myself if it was worth getting sewn up without my band and every time, the answer was an emphatic, "NO!!!" :D

Edited by The Icy One

Not so glum chum...just wait, it's only temporary. You're paying your dues now...suck it up!

It will be So worth it. You won't miss stuff for long. I don't miss drive thrus or chocolate. You will lose a chunk of weight with the pre-op and detox your system. You are on the right track and it will pay off. Be strong!!! Good luck!!

Try to project a year from now...when you weigh less, when you have had dozen's of NSVs...buying smaller sized clothes, off your meds, feeling and looking better....

I was miserable on the preop diet....and I am so so much better now. I know it's easier said than done but one short year ago, I was where you were and the difference between then and now is unbelievable.

Just this afternoon, I was sitting with my coworkers in the kitchen, finishing my 1/2 sandwich and clementine. Heck I even had a couple of thin pretzels. So...just know that sandwiches are still in your future. Oh...and while we were chatting, I leaned back in my chair a bit and crossed my legs. Such a little thing...unless like me, you haven't been able to do that in years. I feel so normal now that it still takes my breath away.

Hang in there....it will get better...I promise.

I have not eaten bread, or Pizza Crust, do-nuts, rolls, certain cakes, pastas, etc. in almost 3 years now...and probably never will for the rest of my life, or as long as I have my band.

But I do not miss it either....

Hang it there!!!

Take it one day at a time... you will be able eat a sandwich again :)

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss; 160 lbs

Some days I think , wow I wish I could eat more of that it tastes so good , then I think so glad I cant and remember the number on the scale and smile and thank my band, you will get there liquid is the hardest but its the first step to many changes you will make and eventually you will be glad you saw it through .Good Luck

Thanks everyone! I made it the whole day without eating a sandwich. I was real good and stuck to my liquid diet averaging 350 calories all day. It's so nice to hear all your stories I'm so glad I found this website. Whenever I feel like I might crack I read some of your post and my hunger/ cravings pass. Thank you for taking the time to reply it means a lot. ;)

Yay!! Victory!!!!!!!!!!!

I am on Day 6 of my pre-op diet and feel the same way. Yesterday I felt strong and able to do this, but today I want to cry and eat more. I am keeping myself busy because I am sure tomorrow I will be strong again and I cannot sabotage this like I did trying to diet. Good luck to you!!!

Like everyone else said...it is TOUGH...no lie! But as each day passes you are more and more and more successful and it only sets you up for future success. I always remembered why I chose this route when I was on the 2 week liquid pre-op AND the 2 week liquid post op...UGH....but 5 months later I can honestly say I barely remember it....I wouldnt want to ever do it again but I dont remember it.

Now I look forward to wearing smaller sizes and enjoying all the foods I loved before but in way smaller portions. I dont deny myself of anything but I definately make better food choices. I love that I am no longer ruled by food!

So hang in there and YOU WILL DO IT....your surgery date is almost here....so close...good luck and keep us posted!