Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Be careful. ..

What's that about? I've been hearing 'be careful' a lot lately. It seems some people are "concerned" that I'm getting too thin and I should be careful not to lose too much weight. I'm a size 12 for God's sake! I still need to lose another 45+ lbs to get to goal which will put me at about a size 7. Apparently I will be 'skin and bones' at a size 7. Really? I don't think so. I think the jealousy monster is starting to appear. I wish everyone would just worry about themselves and leave my pants size alone... yeah right! Lol

I totally understand what you are feeling. I am having the same issues with people I work with. It seems with the last 10-15 pounds I have lost, people are starting to freak out. I just got asked to hold out my arms and then the person told me my wrists are too small. WTF! I am still considered "overweight" with a BMI around 26 and people are worried that I am too skinny. I just wish people would worry more about themselves than how much I weigh! *sigh*

I have gotten that from a few folks too. I know I carry a lot of my weight in my lower body, but evidently it hides pretty well in clothes. LOL Though I'm thrilled with a size 12, I know I still have at least 30# to go. Seems like a lot to someone who thinks needing to lose 5# is a chore. I think clothing size isn't a true indicator of success. I will never get below a 10 (and that is pushing it) I'm just not proportioned for it. I usually avoid specific "pounds to go" answers for most people. Its no one's business, but people get nosey. I take it that they care about me, and their "careful" comments are meant to assure me I'm good where I'm at. I assure anyone that is overly concerned that my doctor and I are in sync. But thanks for the unsolicited input. :-)

Hmm whats a size 12 and size 7 in the us?
Size 12 here is skinny a “normal” person a size 7 is a child or a really really tiny and/or underweight grown up.
I know in plus sizes we are a size up so if you’re a 30uk you’re a 28us, I think a size 0us is a 6uk you have so many different sizes its confusing!

What's that about? I've been hearing 'be careful' a lot lately. It seems some people are "concerned" that I'm getting too thin and I should be careful not to lose too much weight. I'm a size 12 for God's sake! I still need to lose another 45+ lbs to get to goal which will put me at about a size 7. Apparently I will be 'skin and bones' at a size 7. Really? I don't think so. I think the jealousy monster is starting to appear. I wish everyone would just worry about themselves and leave my pants size alone... yeah right! Lol

Seela,

I just looked at your "stats". I'm wondering, how many of these "concerned folks" were concerned when you were 250 lbs?? Honestly, that's why I only told a few people I was even getting the surgery. I didn't want to mess with the whole "isn't that dangerous?" or "what happens if you change your mind?" (which I'm getting from my mother-in-law anyway). I didn't want to have to say "Isn't being MORBIDLY OBESE dangerous?" and "Why would I ever change my mind about being overweight and miserable??" If people think I'm losing weight "the old fashioned way" (which I am, I just have a smaller stomach so that I don't succumb to my cravings and those unhealthy voices in my head and down that entire double bacon cheeseburger with fries) then they are proud of me, what I am doing and what I am achieving. And since I can honestly say it's "doctor supervised", then they are kept at bay even more.

Your size is none of their business. Your health might be, if they have been concerned about your health all along. There has been some noise made around here about the Biggest Loser winner who got so incredibly small, down to a measly 105. Now, she LOOKS "too thin", but who knows if that's her (what I call) "safe" or "bumper" weight - a weight where you can bounce 5-10 lbs without catastrophic consequences. This rapid weight loss might be what people are focusing on.

Then again, like you said, it might just be jealousy. If that's the case, you flaunt it, girl! You earned it!!

~C

I’ve been thinking about this and going off of some comments I get this is my thinking…

I get told in that jokey manner hey skinny B don’t stand next to me your too small now!

(the B word isn’t a insult its just how we are lol)

your smaller than me now skinny ar.se!

blimey your gonna be smaller than everyone if you keep going!

Ok ok stop losing weight now skinny B!

This is my thinking its shocking to people, there is always someone bigger than them and I ALWAYS as the biggest person in the room now I am not.

I think it makes people think about their self and their body and hmm are they now the biggest or one of the biggest in the room now?!?!

So all this be careful stuff to me is more like “hey be careful you don’t get too small”…… (small print to comment) because then YOU will be smaller than ME and WHAT THE HELL!!!!!

I don’t think people realise they are even doing it that’s it just a thought they think is about you and for your own good but really there is a underlying its for them thought going on there.

Because in my life at least people who don’t have body issues no matter its size don’t make these comments to me its just the ones who always did always went on diets always talking about losing weight or the ones who recently actually gained weight.

I've lost 27 post op. I'm proud but it's a drop in the bucket. My high weight was 325 ( probably higher but that's the high documented weight). You can tell in my face and belly. Some are noticing. It makes me uncomfortable when they ask about goals or sizes. I'm not sure how I'm gonna handle the "you should stop now" comments. I do know that (in the US) there are EOC rules/laws that prevent harassment (unwanted comments) about race, gender, disabilities, etc. in my opinion, this can be stretched to include people talking about someone's weight (high or low). I'm in management and if someone came to me (and they have) stating that others were talking about race, I have a duty to tell them to stop. My employees are pretty comfortable with me. It'll be interesting to see if I have to go to HR to tell my employees to quit talking about me! Lol. I'm dreading being under the microscope. I think I'll say (about goal) - "I will know I'm at goal when I can do _____ (insert some item from my bucket list). That way, I don't have to answer about pounds. People are strangely jealous. It's such a weird journey. It makes me cherish the few who are cheerleaders for happiness and health - without any judgment.

I've lost 27 post op. I'm proud but it's a drop in the bucket. My high weight was 325 ( probably higher but that's the high documented weight). You can tell in my face and belly. Some are noticing. It makes me uncomfortable when they ask about goals or sizes. I'm not sure how I'm gonna handle the "you should stop now" comments. I do know that (in the US) there are EOC rules/laws that prevent harassment (unwanted comments) about race, gender, disabilities, etc. in my opinion, this can be stretched to include people talking about someone's weight (high or low). I'm in management and if someone came to me (and they have) stating that others were talking about race, I have a duty to tell them to stop. My employees are pretty comfortable with me. It'll be interesting to see if I have to go to HR to tell my employees to quit talking about me! Lol. I'm dreading being under the microscope. I think I'll say (about goal) - "I will know I'm at goal when I can do _____ (insert some item from my bucket list). That way, I don't have to answer about pounds. People are strangely jealous. It's such a weird journey. It makes me cherish the few who are cheerleaders for happiness and health - without any judgment.

Yes, we have those laws but unless it's a pretty extreme case the laws don't do us any good, plus they don't stop anyone that's not at work. Mostly when people get to personal I just smile, laugh a little and say "you're cute" that seems to get the message across. After losing over 62 lbs in 4 months it doesn't really matter if I told people about the wls or not. They ask out of the blue. Most of the time I don't mind but the ones that act "concerned" and the ones that tell me I'm getting too skinny (again 40+lbs to goal) are the ones that are getting on my nerves

Women who make comments like that, are usually afraid that you will end up smaller than them. Somehow, they just can't deal with that though, ha ha.

How about "my doctor suggests I lose x more pounds" if you really get cornered?