Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pharrell Williams' "Happy"

This is such an amazing song. I don't know how anyone could listen to it and not want to break out into their wildest dance...even if others are looking. This song is special to me because I know how much my sister would have loved it, she died two years ago yesterday and I played it for her at the cemetery as I placed spring flowers for her and my father. It's strange that I'm writing about such a happy song, but as I type I'm a bit sad because I still miss her terribly and even though my heart tells me she heard me playing that song (the diet coke my brother in law left for her kept falling over, for no reason...I think she was telling me it was flat and time for a new one) the fact that I couldn't see her smiling face, doing her dance and bobbling her head in such a way that only she could while snapping her fingers. My sister was happy.

She was the picture of health; vibrant, thin, she ate well, exercised daily, visited her doctor and treated every living being as though she had given life to it herself. How does this person die at the age of 57? She was one of a kind, it just so happens that the type of cancer she had was basically one of a kind, too. Leave it to her to be original, I tell you! My big sister became my hero through that fight though. She NEVER gave up, even in her final few hours and life support had been removed, she lifted her frail fist in the air as if to say "I'm not done yet!" For that reason, I bought a pair of boxing gloves and had our family sign them before the funeral and I placed them in her casket. This is NOT where I was going with this post, but my spirit seemed to move in this direction. I miss my sister so much. I spent ages 2-5 sleeping with her every night because I loved her so much, she put up with me, too...how many 17 - 20 year olds allow their baby sister to sleep with them? Especially when that little sister is a wreckasaurus who breaks all of your things and fills the bed with all of her baby dolls before you get home from your after-school job? She still didn't put me out and I had my own room! As I look back on it, she was a saint and very responsible for the woman that I grew up to be.

I miss you Marian Jeanette Ganaway-Magee, Lord, please let these tears stop before I pick up my baby.

The attached photo of our hands was taken on our last day together and in her final hours - February 16, 2011 at around 7:30pm, just before I threw the party of the century in her hospital room, all of her favorite music, laughter and me acting a plum fool for her because I knew I wouldn't have the chance to do it again...TRY TO PUT ME OUT IF YOU WANT TO, IT'S ON!

The second photo is of her and her very devoted husband. It's kind of sad, I didn't realize how much he loved her until I witnessed (and continue to witness) him grieve for her. That's love and I pray for a bond as strong as theirs some day.

post-146151-0-93458900-1392763542_thumb.jpg

post-146151-0-68758300-1392763668_thumb.jpg

Wow this brought tears to my eyes....always nice when people are close

What a very sweet post and tribute to your brave sister! I'm sure you gave her so much joy and for you to throw her that party and just have fun with her as she was in her last days - was just so special! It's always so sad those last days and you made it memorable for her! I think you are Christian by reading your posts - and you know Jesus was there waiting for her - I know she looks from heaven on you and your brother-in-law!

Sending you hugs. Hold tight to your happy memories. Thank you for sharing such sweetness with all of us.

what a wonderful caring person you are. your post was beautiful. your sister would be so proud of you. God Bless you during this time as you remember.

You have a beautiful spirit and I'm sure your sister is so proud of the woman you have become. Thank you for sharing that sweet story!

Thank you for noticing the Christian in me Jamilyne...so many people profess their love and belief in the savior, but it's hard to believe it's genuine when you witness their behavior and the words they speak. This was theraputic for me and I appreciate your reply.

What a very sweet post and tribute to your brave sister! I'm sure you gave her so much joy and for you to throw her that party and just have fun with her as she was in her last days - was just so special! It's always so sad those last days and you made it memorable for her! I think you are Christian by reading your posts - and you know Jesus was there waiting for her - I know she looks from heaven on you and your brother-in-law!

You guys are awesome, reading your replies is so uplifiting for me. I am so grateful that this forum exists and that it is full of so many kind people. May you all have a SPLENDID day...you've gotten mine off to a beautiful start.

Girl, I'm crying with you. Praying with you. Laughing with you. She knew she was loved by you and you her. Reflect on that today. And as Pharrell says. Be happy you have those memories of her.

Tell your stories of her all day today if you need to. We are here.