Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone -- AF vet here

Hi,

Thought I'd get a head start on this forum. I am an AF vet -- military police (security forces) -- and always thought that my weight loss success was in my own hands. I've just recently come to the conclusion that this is one battle I can't overcome by myself, no matter how hard I try. Thus the appointment I just made to have lap band surgery.

I am also a member on other veteran's forums, and have worked around the VA (and gotten healthcare there) for several years now. I look forward to meeting you and hearing your stories. I checked with the VA, but at least in Colorado, they have no benefits/schedule for weight loss surgery, so I'm funding this one myself. I have been through the VA MOVE (Motivating Obese Veterans Everywhere) twice, with no success. Fun fact: my supervisor at the VA had the Lap Band procedure several years ago with great success, and referred me to my current physician, who is also a veteran and a graduate of the Air Force Academy.

I'm hoping I get my life back, so to speak, and hoping that this is a new start for me. I am married to another AF veteran -- who has just tipped the scales at 270 lbs -- but since he is on blood thinners for life, he is weary of any surgical procedure. I will see how it goes with me, and perhaps he will be open to something similar in the future.

I look forward to meeting you all and sharing this journey together.

Congratulations....if everyone had the ability to manage their own weight, then there would not be a need for this surgery, and none of us would be here....

There are many things I am strong enough to do....but controlling my eating, (I love food) and the ability to diet and loose it myself, is not one of them.....I needed surgery....

And the surgery did for me what I was incapable of doing...and it did work, I have lost all my excess weight/body fat.....

I'm 62 years old and as active and fit as if I am 30 years younger....whereas a few years ago I had one foot in the grave...

(it's 4:30am, and I'm off to the gym at 5 as soon as I finish my coffee...something I do everyday now)

Edited by B-52

Hi,

Thought I'd get a head start on this forum. I am an AF vet -- military police (security forces) -- and always thought that my weight loss success was in my own hands. I've just recently come to the conclusion that this is one battle I can't overcome by myself, no matter how hard I try. Thus the appointment I just made to have lap band surgery.

I am also a member on other veteran's forums, and have worked around the VA (and gotten healthcare there) for several years now. I look forward to meeting you and hearing your stories. I checked with the VA, but at least in Colorado, they have no benefits/schedule for weight loss surgery, so I'm funding this one myself. I have been through the VA MOVE (Motivating Obese Veterans Everywhere) twice, with no success. Fun fact: my supervisor at the VA had the Lap Band procedure several years ago with great success, and referred me to my current physician, who is also a veteran and a graduate of the Air Force Academy.

I'm hoping I get my life back, so to speak, and hoping that this is a new start for me. I am married to another AF veteran -- who has just tipped the scales at 270 lbs -- but since he is on blood thinners for life, he is weary of any surgical procedure. I will see how it goes with me, and perhaps he will be open to something similar in the future.

I look forward to meeting you all and sharing this journey together.

my hub is retired AF after 25 years

and now my son is currently serving overseas with the AF

nice to meet you also.

Good to meet you skywalker. Hubby is an AF vet retired now after 25 years of service.

He and I are both banded and having great success with our bands.

Welcome to the forum, wish you the best on your journey!

Congrats on making the decision! It's certainly helped me get my life back. I couldn't/wouldn't do it on my own either. Welcome and best wishes! :)

Nice to meet you all.

Come to think of it, my husband was discharged from the Air Force (honorably, though), for being on the Weight Management Program too long. He still struggles with weight to this day. I wonder if this condition could be service connected/compensable. Hmmm.

Well....you've joined a great group of supportive people!!!

Wishing you much success! :)

Not to get off topic, but I had my Heart Attack and subsequent angioplasty and stents prior to this surgery, so I am also taking blood thinners for life (?)

All I needed to do was stop the meds a few weeks prior to this, and any other surgical procedures including dental work, then resume a few weeks after...no big deal....

My Daughter is a PA in Cardiology, and she tells me new studies have shown that blood thinners are not needed for life for people with my condition.......not to mention that my overall health has reversed 180 degree since loosing weight, I'm going to talk to my Cardiologist about this in a few weeks when I have my annual stress test....

Not to get off topic, but I had my Heart Attack and subsequent angioplasty and stents prior to this surgery, so I am also taking blood thinners for life (?)

All I needed to do was stop the meds a few weeks prior to this, and any other surgical procedures including dental work, then resume a few weeks after...no big deal....

My Daughter is a PA in Cardiology, and she tells me new studies have shown that blood thinners are not needed for life for people with my condition.......not to mention that my overall health has reversed 180 degree since loosing weight, I'm going to talk to my Cardiologist about this in a few weeks when I have my annual stress test....

My husband was resistant at first to taking blood thinners for life, until his doctor sat him down and told him if he didn't it would kill him. He had his first DVT several years ago, and it never fully went away. There is a solid blood clot at his knee right now that is stable there. A couple years ago he had a pulmonary embolism. That was when they put him on lifelong coumadin.

He recently had to have hernia surgery/belly button area, and they gave him Warfarin bridge therapy prior to this. Everything went fine, no complications.

He still doesn't like the idea of surgery, though. He'd rather tough it out as he is, I guess.

I don't think it's off topic as skywalker mentioned her husband was on blood thinners. However I don't think it's wise to encourage anyone to stop their medications without the consent and advice of their treating physician.

What worked for you may not work for someone else and could cause serious complications and issues in their lives. Sharing your experience is one thing, but I don't think it is wise to tell anyone that its no big deal to stop medications like blood thinners with out the supervision, consent and guidance of their physicians.

As I was typing this skywalker commented and her husband has a solid blood clot in his leg...nothing to do with his heart....so your advice on that point was a bit misleading.

Skywalker please no matter what you or your husband decide to do, the very BEST advice is always to work with your doctors and let them advise you.

What you read on this site is our opinions and experiences only and it is subjective to each individual. Your doctors and surgeon know best! We are here for support and friendship and to share our experience and journey's not to give medical advice.

I don't think it's off topic as skywalker mentioned her husband was on blood thinners. However I don't think it's wise to encourage anyone to stop their medications without the consent and advice of their treating physician.

What worked for you may not work for someone else and could cause serious complications and issues in their lives. Sharing your experience is one thing, but I don't think it is wise to tell anyone that its no big deal to stop medications like blood thinners with out the supervision, consent and guidance of their physicians.

As I was typing this skywalker commented and her husband has a solid blood clot in his leg...nothing to do with his heart....so your advice on that point was a bit misleading.

Skywalker please no matter what you or your husband decide to do, the very BEST advice is always to work with your doctors and let them advise you.

What you read on this site is our opinions and experiences only and it is subjective to each individual. Your doctors and surgeon know best! We are here for support and friendship and to share our experience and journey's not to give medical advice.

Do you REALLY THINK I'm giving other people medical advice? And worse yet, telling others what to do?

There's enough of that going on around here and I'm not one of them...lot's of self proclaimed EXPERTS who can talk the talk, but have never walked the walk.....telling others HOW to do this, yet have not actually done it themselves.....I'm simply sharing MY experiences...that's all anyone can and should ever do.....

PLUS anyone who actually listens to other peoples advice on this forum (the world wide web filled with strangers) should have their head examined....

I take issue with your offensive comments....but then maybe you're one of those EXPERTS?

Do you REALLY THINK I'm giving other people medical advice? And worse yet, telling others what to do?

There's enough of that going on around here and I'm not one of them...lot's of self proclaimed EXPERTS who can talk the talk, but have never walked the walk.....telling others HOW to do this, yet have not actually done it themselves.....I'm simply sharing MY experiences...that's all anyone can and should ever do.....

PLUS anyone who actually listens to other peoples advice on this forum (the world wide web filled with strangers) should have their head examined....

I take issue with your offensive comments....but then maybe you're one of those EXPERTS?

Do you REALLY THINK I'm giving other people medical advice? And worse yet, telling others what to do? Yes I do. I think your comments through out this forum indicate such.

There's enough of that going on around here and I'm not one of them...lot's of self proclaimed EXPERTS who can talk the talk, but have never walked the walk.....telling others HOW to do this, yet have not actually done it themselves.....I'm simply sharing MY experiences...that's all anyone can and should ever do..... I agree with that statement 100% though often your comments are not written in such a manner, and come off rather like you are an expert and have walked the walk of a thousand men who could never measure up to your perfection.

PLUS anyone who actually listens to other peoples advice on this forum (the world wide web filled with strangers) should have their head examined.... If anything should be taken as an offensive statement it is this.

Often there are those who are not as perfect and might take a misleading comments as fact especially when quoted by a "Host" and a "Veteran" bander such as yourself.

My comments were not offensive or written to demean or demoralize anyone. I wrote what I did as a matter of opinion after reading what you wrote in reply to someone who has a life threatening condition.

I am not an expert I am me and never claim to be anything more or less. I know how to walk my talk, and I have been there, most everyone on this site has been there and is walking their talk the best way they know how.

For you to demean them and look down your nose at anyone else is what is offensive.

Having had a longer time of being banded, having lost more or less or kept your weight off for longer or what ever it is that you think makes you better then others, is your problem don't make it mine or anyone elses.

Ok men and women , Remember are here to support each other and you know the saying every one has a opinion and opinion are like well you know every one has one , we try o talk about just our personal experiences , not every one else's , because what's working for you may not work for some one else so pleas just share , and for the people that they might want to get banded , please do your research and if you decide to get banded listen and always ask your Doc, any questions or concerns you may have , Skywalker decide what you want to do , and what you decide good luck and welcome to the forum, specially if you decide banded.

Ok men and women , Remember are here to support each other and you know the saying every one has a opinion and opinion are like well you know every one has one , we try o talk about just our personal experiences , not every one else's , because what's working for you may not work for some one else so pleas just share , and for the people that they might want to get banded , please do your research and if you decide to get banded listen and always ask your Doc, any questions or concerns you may have , Skywalker decide what you want to do , and what you decide good luck and welcome to the forum, specially if you decide banded.

I agree. We are all usually a very good natured bunch of supportive people. Once in a while we do come across the wrong way, and get under each others skin as we all do have our opinions. :) Sometimes the BS that comes from them can create an awful stink :huh:

(sorry just had to go there and lighten the mood a bit!)

Whoa there everyone. We're just here to support each other.

My husband's blood thinners are actually a null point; I have decided to get the Lap Band surgery and I have no such conditions.

I was mentioning him in passing because I thought in the future Lap Band might be a good option for him, if he was open to it. Its just the thought of surgery, on blood thinners, kind of scares him or something. But really, that's something him and his doctor should hammer out. I'm sure they wouldn't recommend the surgery if they couldn't control the clotting and the costs outweighed the benefits.

My Lap Band surgeon highly encouraged me to do it and said I was a perfect candidate. I hope he's not just upselling the procedure/strictly trying to make money, because he seemed to think it would do me a lot of good and was highly optimistic.