Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First post -- am I making the right decision?

I used to think surgery was a lazy person's alternative, but I no longer feel that way. After many ups and downs--the most recent struggle being Weight Watchers--I have carefully weighed the options and scheduled a date for Lap Band surgery.

I have explored the pros and cons, talked to people in person who have had the procedure done, and decided at this point in my life that I'm going to take the chance and have this done. No amount of hard core dieting and exercise on Weight Watchers would get my weight to budge permanently. I started Weight Watchers in early 2012 and after about 1.75 years, I had lost 30 lbs. Not bad, but not spectacular. I had one difficult semester recently where I ate a moderate amount of food (still turning down a lot of things), and didn't log my points as closely, and I gained it all back. I have been struggling with my weight, in some form or another, since I was 14, and I'm just tired now.

I have sleep apnea, I'm fatigued a lot, my cholesterol has been elevated for a while (high LDL's and triclycerides and low HDL's), and I have been hypothyroid (treated with medication) for several years. My BMI is about 38.8. Not to mention the fact that this extra weight just makes me feel horrible in my own skin--I have a suspicion that it's keeping me from getting a job, and I don't have that many more employable years to start a career, as I'm in my late 30's.

Insurance won't be paying for this, so I've secured an out of pocket loan for the procedure. I've booked it for April, because if it works like it's supposed to, at about 10 lbs per month, I should actually be able to wear some decent T shirts by summer and not still be hiding behind sweaters.

I've weighed the risks and the benefits. So can anyone give me advice or share their story? I hope I'm making the right decision.

Hi Skywalker,

I was banded in 2006 and the first 6 years were perfect for me. I didn't have any problems with the band until the past 2 years. It's been downhill ever since so February 27th I'm having the revision surgery and getting the sleeve. I hope I'm doing the right thing. I can't seem to have any other fills, if I do then I'm going to be throwing up for weeks...my band is a 4 cc but I've not been able to get a fill past .5 cc...

Just do your research and know that the band isn't the newest wls out there and for me and also several of my family members it just hasn't worked for us...

My mother in law had to have hers taken out, my sisters band never worked, she lost 20 lbs and that's it, my mother lost 100 lbs but has since gained some back...

Not meaning to scare you just be sure the band is what you want. Since your paying talk to both patients lap and and sleeve patients and find out the pros and cons... I too had to pay for the band and will have to pay again out of my pocket, insurance won't cover either.

I will never refer the band. I know it's not all the bands fault, I'm at fault too, but I feel like I was a good patient and tried to follow the rules and I failed...

Good luck!

The 4 CC bands have a much higher fail rate than the newer bands. The only advice I can give you skywalker is not to overestimate your weight loss as it might set you up for feeling like a failure even though you aren't. I never lost more than 12 lbs. in one month. It was more like 6-8 lbs. a month and yet...take a look at my ticker. 113 lbs. in total and in just over a year...though that does include the 17 lbs. lost during the pre-op diet.

If you don't set expectations too high, you'll be fine. Even if you lose it at just a pound a week, it's still like 50 lbs. in a year and for most folks, that's significant.

Good luck!!

Jim:

What happened recently to make your good results change? Was your stomach increasing in size? Did the band slip?

gowalking:

My expectations are basically this--if I lose 65 lbs within 1.5 years or so, I'll be a happy camper. Even with a conservative estimate of weight loss of 5 lbs per month, that would still put me at a weight loss of 15 lbs by summer, and 35 lbs by winter, etc. I got so discouraged on weight watchers because I would struggle for two whole years to lose just 30 lbs, then gain it all back so easily. Emotionally, it finally just broke me and I gave up.

I don't really know what 4 CC band means, but my surgeon told me he will be fitting me with the newest technology (which I understand has a better success rate).

Thank you both for sharing.

you have heard it all before I am sure. there is failures in all wls. I just watched entertainment tonight where they were talking about carly Phillips who had bypass and the band and is failing at both. the band is adjustable. you can fill and unfill to fit you. some ppl can eat around anything so will have a hard time. you will find on this site a whole lot of ppl who have 7plus years with the band. and are very successful. wls any of them require time, thought, and diet. exercise and a generally healthy lifestyle. losing 5-8 lbs a month is the norm. but the inches. I swear the inches come off where the wt. doesn't represent it. I lost 10 inches last month. so good luck with surgery. have the surgery when you are ready. and we will be here with support. best wishes

is there ppl who are ex band ppl and are getting a sleeve just sit by and wait for someone they can preach sleeve to. I know I shouldn't be saying this but I just wish naysayers would stay on their own site. okay i'm done.

I think 99% of the people on all the forums would agree that WLS is worth it. Its the type of surgery that is always the issue. I know of no one on these forums who would say dieting works.

The band is less forgiving than the sleeve Imo. Study them all before you decide.

There are a lot of differences among the different weight loss surgeries, but generally you can talk about the stomach stapling versions versus the LapBand. Here are some things to consider when deciding about a LapBand: It's adjustable to fit your individual needs, it can be removed/reversed if necessary, it has a lower success rate/lower weight loss rate, it requires more post-op care (there will be fill appointments and such, and I'm not sure how much those cost for self-pay). Why did I choose it? Because the though of having my guts rearranged and taken out freaked me out, for one. But I also like the idea of it restricting my food intake. That's what I need, personally. Obviously all weight loss surgery patients have restricted food intake, but if you have something like a sleeve and you overeat too often, your new stomach is going to stretch right back out and you'll gradually just be able to eat more and more unless you have the willpower to get back under control. At least with a LapBand, if I notice I'm starting to be able to eat too much, I can go get a fill before it becomes an issue. It helps you check yourself before you wreck yourself, haha :) All the more power to the people who are successful with weight loss surgeries like the sleeve, but I just know it's not for me.

There are a lot of differences among the different weight loss surgeries, but generally you can talk about the stomach stapling versions versus the LapBand. Here are some things to consider when deciding about a LapBand: It's adjustable to fit your individual needs, it can be removed/reversed if necessary, it has a lower success rate/lower weight loss rate, it requires more post-op care (there will be fill appointments and such, and I'm not sure how much those cost for self-pay). Why did I choose it? Because the though of having my guts rearranged and taken out freaked me out, for one. But I also like the idea of it restricting my food intake. That's what I need, personally. Obviously all weight loss surgery patients have restricted food intake, but if you have something like a sleeve and you overeat too often, your new stomach is going to stretch right back out and you'll gradually just be able to eat more and more unless you have the willpower to get back under control. At least with a LapBand, if I notice I'm starting to be able to eat too much, I can go get a fill before it becomes an issue. It helps you check yourself before you wreck yourself, haha :) All the more power to the people who are successful with weight loss surgeries like the sleeve, but I just know it's not for me.

You said it the best. I choose the band because I still have my insides. People fail with all WLS. You have a tool and have to use it properly. I know of about 6 people who had by pass. They are all huge again. One person said the surgery failed. I have seen her eat, drink wine and cocktails at dinner. Surgery didn't fail, she did.

Good luck from a very happy bandster!!

I wouldn't really count on losing 10 pounds a month because sometimes it does not work like that. Some months you may only lose 4lbs. You have to be realistic with the weight loss. Sometimes you don't lose every single week or month.

No one method, no one procedure is the cure all for everyone....all the weight loss procedures have their pros and cons....and you can "CHEAT" on all of them...so the first thing would be to look at your expectations...If you are expecting surgery to take care of your food issue without any effort on your part...then you will be disappointed in any procedure...Once you know that you will have do your part and are ready, then do your research on both procedures and doctors...Make sure your doctor offers a good follow up program...ask if they have support groups available, or if they know of any...Remember all WLS carries risks, and I am sure you will hear Horror Stories associated with every type of procedure...so after your research, you should go with whatever you are most comfortable with. Best of luck to you.!!

Hi skywalker,, your story sounds somewhat similar to mine. I tried Weight Watchers for 1 solid year and lost 12 lbs........................ yep, 12 whole lbs and I fought for every one of those lbs. Sometimes your body just doesnt cooperate. So, after my sis in law and her hubby had the lap band I started looking into it and after ALOT of research, had it done in Dec 2011. I started at size 18 clothes, 225 lbs, lost 5 by day of surgery, and as long as I followed the drs rule 95% of the time , the weight came off 1-1.5 lbs a week. By Aug 1 I was down to 175, (!!!!) Then it slowed down a bit but was still able to get10 more lbs off , and have now settled at a comfy 160. I would love to get to 140, that may or maynot happen, but the best thing is im happier and healthir than I have been in years! !! The sleep apnea and digestive problems are gone, I wear size 10, i swim and run, get almost daily compliments, and like what I see in the mirror. Most importantly, I feel good from the inside out, something that food cant and wont ever do for me. This was by far , lap band was the BEST decision ever. Hope this helps, good luck to you!!!

I was banded July 6 06... I was a month before my 40th birthday. I had a complete physical with my family doctor. He told me I was a "healthy" person for now... but it was just a matter of time. I have spinabifida and hydrocephalus... but besides that was healthy... but the day of my surgery I weighed 292 lbs.

I've had 9 spinal fusions and both my SI joints are fussed and I"m waiting for a hip replacement BUT having had Lapband surgery SAVED my life.

I started with a 54" waist and am now 30". I've lost 160 lbs. and have been able to maintain it without ANY issues.

I love the band because I don't feel like I missing out on anything... I can still go out with friends for dinner... I can eat anything in moderation except carbonation beverages... no rice or apple skins... everything else is fine. However, when I was losing I did have to follow the "diet" given to me by my doctor. I followed it to the letter and had great results. I reached my goal in just under 14 months.

My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

Yes... I will always have issues because of my "bones" but have less weight will make it much easier to get around... I walk with a cane... sometimes 2 but if I didn't have the Lapband I'm sure I'd be in a wheelchair or worse.

If you would like to ask questions I'd be happy to chat with you on the phone... I have free long distance and would be happy to call you.

Please feel free to email me: tomander@bell.net

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss; 160 lbs

I'm not trying to be simplistic with this question, but to all of you -- what is the advantage of having any WLS in the first place?

I hear of people saying, "Well, you have to diet and exercise, that is still on you. The band isn't going to do all the work."

No offense, but if that worked in the first place, why the surgery? This is a question I'm still struggling to understand.

For me I needed and still need the lapband for Portion Control.< /p>

I love now that I can still eat pizza BUT instead of eating entire medium pizza by myself I can now just eat 1 or 2 slices and feel satisfied.

Now when I eat I feel alway feel "satisfied"... previously to getting banded I would eat until I was stuffed.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 160 lbs