Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You should have asked if she'd had a c-section, some insurance companies cover tummy tucks. BCBS Texas does. Other surgeries are covered if you've lost a signficant amount of weight and the extra skin is causing irritation or infections.

I had a "friend" on Facebook say "how did you get insurance to cover cosmetic surgery?" I tried to keep my cool and explain how obesity is a disease and its certainly not a cosmetic surgery as it once was categorized as. She basically laughed at me and told me "I wonder if I can get insurance to give me a tummy tuck". This was all on facebook so a few true friends jumped in and said "sounds like someone is jealous" Damn right they are!! She ended up unfriending me which kind of upset me but better off in the long run. I dont need that kind of negativity.

The biggest loser is a joke. Anybody would be at their ideal weight if they had the right foods and fitness forced on them and besed around their lifestyle...do they even work when they are on that show? Yeah, that's totally attainable. NOT!

this is one of the reason's I hate the biggest loser. ppl that are not overweight think everyone can diet and exercise and lose the lbs. geez I did it for years. I wasn't even overweight until I had my child at the age of 21. gained 70 lbs with her. but I was able to yo yo diet with the best of them. but for some reason the last 3 years I couldn't diet if my life depended on it and it did. and yet I still couldn't lose wt. No one chooses wls lightly. it isn't the easy way out. ppl just don't understand that we have done all we can short of lifting that semi-tractor tire to lose the wt. we didn't want surgery we needed surgery. and lapband is not the easy road. but at least it is a road in which one can lose wt. safely. good luck and don't let ppl get you down. its' not their life. and I would be hard pressed to share anymore with your work crew.

so.. I've told a few people in my department at work, including my manager, that I will be getting the lap-band surgery (4 days left of the 12 month program required by insurance!!!!). I notice that my manager, who I've talked about struggling with weight, because she too is overweight, ALWAYS has some little jab to throw into the conversation. It's usually "i'd rather be fat", but the other day, we were all chatting and someone asked if I had my surgery scheduled yet, since I have been talking about it for awhile, I replied "no", and they asked a few more questions.. could I eat bread, could I drink coffee/soda, etc.

when I replied that I would probably keep to a lower-carb diet, my manager says "couldn't you just do a low-carb diet without the surgery?"

the more I thought about this comment, the more it pissed me off. for someone who has struggled with their weight as well, I thought she would be happy for me. shes done ww and other diets, but they never worked, at least for an extended period.

i'm 26 years old, I remember starting my first 'diet' with my mom at age 6.. my weight has been a constant battle and I've never been completely happy with myself.

THIS is why I was so reluctant to tell people in the first place. I waited 9 months before I told anyone, and still wasn't sure I should. I try not to let comments like that get to me, but the fact is, I DONT HAVE THICK SKIN, ive been teased my whole life and its taken a huge toll on my self-confidence.

just needed to vent. not sure if anyone else has dealt with this kind of situation, but I was just so pissed off, I had to get it out.

Sorry she's acting that way. It sounds like a little bit of jealousy on her part to me. It's hard to be happy when one is so overweight, and maybe she feels like you're starting to embark on a bold and successful thing while she's been left behind. It takes courage to go ahead and get this surgery. My husband has seen me struggle and cry for years on end, and he expressed doubt when I told him I was going to get it, stating he wouldn't get surgery unless it was absolutely mandatory. Well, that's his choice, I guess, but this surgery has arguably saved people's lives as well (it will keep the diabetes and heart disease from creeping up on them and causing bigger problems later on). Because of inherent prejudices like this, I've chosen not to tell very many people--not my husband's family, and not my family. If they ask, I'll just tell them I'm doing really well on Weight Watchers. :P

Best of luck with the supervisor. Maybe there's a way to avoid her?

The biggest loser is a joke. Anybody would be at their ideal weight if they had the right foods and fitness forced on them and besed around their lifestyle...do they even work when they are on that show? Yeah, that's totally attainable. NOT!

this is one of the reason's I hate the biggest loser. ppl that are not overweight think everyone can diet and exercise and lose the lbs. geez I did it for years. I wasn't even overweight until I had my child at the age of 21. gained 70 lbs with her. but I was able to yo yo diet with the best of them. but for some reason the last 3 years I couldn't diet if my life depended on it and it did. and yet I still couldn't lose wt. No one chooses wls lightly. it isn't the easy way out. ppl just don't understand that we have done all we can short of lifting that semi-tractor tire to lose the wt. we didn't want surgery we needed surgery. and lapband is not the easy road. but at least it is a road in which one can lose wt. safely. good luck and don't let ppl get you down. its' not their life. and I would be hard pressed to share anymore with your work crew.

I know, right? I admire movie stars for being able to lose weight and show off their post baby figures or whatever, but they have a lot of resources at their disposal that the average person doesn't. If I could have (1) plenty of money to stay in a vacation resort (2) a personal chef making me salmon salads and sushi several times a day (3) daily massages and detox/mud baths (4) a personal trainer, I suspect my results and current outcome would be a little different. Living on $1200 a month for a family of four and stocking the cabinet with cereals and ramen noodles just to be able to afford groceries is no picnic.

First I got those remarks about just dieting & exercising and if i allow my past to be the lesson that weight never stays off by my birthday ive gained it all back again.

Then after the weight didnt come off right away i got "you wasted your money"

6months in & 16lbs down im dying to get more of the weight off just to rub it in all their faces!

You know - I read all these remarks that people have said to all of you (and me too) and whether you are struggling to lose weight and someone says something snide about that or - you do lose weight and someone has snide remarks about that too! ALL of us are just doing the best we can - if that meant wls - then so be it!

Nine years ago, I was actually on the surgical table for an open cut Rou-en-y, and as I lay there waiting everyone's nasty comments kept replaying in my mind. I had no one's support. Everyone thought the surgery was too risky, I wasn't done having kids, I could do it on my own, etc. I ended up telling the surgeon I couldn't do it. I wasn't ready. He was very understanding, wished me well, and I left the hospital with my stomach in tact, but an enormous weight on my shoulders. Nine years later, I am still over 300 pounds. I have truly tried everything. I am 39, and I am tired of trying to please everyone and listen to others when it comes to MY BODY. I've researched the lap-band, I confided in my husband (the only person I've told, who is now 100% supportive of me, I think the other surgery was too invasive and it scared him), and I am now set with a March 11 date. I AM NOT WALKING OUT ON THIS ONE! At least not without a lap-band.

I said all that to say, I have learned and grown as a person. I've learned that people are jealous when you have made a decision that is seriously going to help you. Your manager sounds just like that. Misery loves company. I would just smile and encourage her WHEN you lose the weight. But whatever you do, don't make my mistake and listen to the Negative Nelly's. You have to do what is RIGHT FOR YOU!

God bless... Here's to a healthy, happier us! :)

Jaybro

Jaybro - YOU GO!!!! So happy for ya - you are going to do great!!!!!

:) You got us all at your back. . . wishing you a great healthy banding success!

Jo

I understand what you are saying. I was in the military when I got pregnant with my daughter, and I kept in good shape during my pregnancy. Shortly after my pregnancy, I decided to get serious again with exercise and join Weight Watchers for the first time. I only had about 30 lbs total to lose, so with diligent logging this actually came off without too much difficulty in about 6 months. And then....no problem for several years.

Enter 2007. I got involved in a tough school program and the weight started to creep up and up. I was probably about 195 by 2008. In 2009 three really horrible things happened simultaneously in my life and my weight blew out of control by about 2010. At that point, I would say I was easily 250, and it started to get downright embarrassing--the bolt holding the bedframe together bent, the toilet I sat on cracked, I grabbed the handle in the bathtub that was built into the wall to life myself up and tore it out of the wall. All really humiliating, "I've hit rock bottom" crap.

The second time I had gained all this weight in 2010, up to about 100 lbs from my ideal weight, was a world different than the first time. Not only were circumstances different the first time, but I found this so hard to vault. It is as if I'd dug myself a hole so deep I couldn't crawl out of it. That's when I finally looked to LB surgery.

Edited by Skywalker