Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Flipped port?

I had previously posted this question, but on the wrong forum. I think I may have a flipped port because I was able to feel it round and flat on my left side, but now it just feels like a slight bulge. I am concerned and was wondering if there are any major complications from a flipped port. Will I need surgery to have it repaired? I'm already upset with my slow loss and now this. Any words of encouragement are welcome. Thanks.

Hi Gracie,

The stitch from my port is lose on one side and you can actually turn it back and forth. I went to the doctor because everytime I exercised I could really feel it. The doctor was able to flip it back and forth and he was not at all concerned about it.

Since I am at my goal weight, he said I can have it replaced whenever I want. Also, I will be getting a low profile one and yes this does require an in/out procedure but from what I have heard, it's nothing major at all. Also, he can stilll access my port for a fills if I ever need one

I was self paid and I will definately have to pay for it myself so I am in no rush to get it done. It's going to cost me about $3500 so for now I'll just deal with the discomfort it causes sometime.

Thank you for responding, I will be self pay also, so if there is no harm in it being flipped, I guess I can wait a while to have it fixed.

Gracie,

I guess it all depends on if your fill doctor can still access your port for fills. Sometimes that is not possible so you may have to wait and see what happens. Congratulations on your weight loss and keep up the good work.

You should probably call your doctor and let him know what happened to your port.

I never had any problem with my port but I guess that as long as your doctor can still access to it easily and if you don't feel any particular pain in the port region, it should be fine.

niki

My question is how does the port come undone.

I was banded yesterday. and last night when I turned over I felt like a stretch or somthing. I seen one guy on the net that he was taking a shower. And he bent over to pick somthing up. And his port came undone.

my question, is it realy that easy to fall off.

Hi there! You should definately call your doctor w/ your concerns.

My port was flipped upside down. When my dr attempted to give me a fill, we just heard the sound of metal. She said it sounded like it was upside down, which was confirmed w/ a cat scan. I also have a port infection. They scheduled an appt for me to have surgery at the hospital. She was going to go in, turn the port over, and attempt cleaning out the infected area.

However, I lost my job (due to my complications), and my insurance! The hospital canceled my appt because I was in the self pay boat, and unable to pay the whole amount for the surgery.

My dr went ahead and did the procedure in her office. She went in and flipped it over and sewed me back up - only charging me for the fill itself which was $100!

So.... it all depends on your dr. Obviously I would be in a rough spot if my dr weren't so understanding and caring.

Keep us updated!

As long as he can flip it back over to access it, it should be fine. My concern with leaving one flipped and not accessible is if, God forbid, there should be an emergency and I would need an unfill and no one would be able to get to it.

Mine is stuck face down and I'll have to have it flipped and resutured as an outpatient surgery. We tried flip it under flouro today, but no luck. It is firmly stuck. I need a fill, but honestly, there's a family reunion this weekend, and I really don't want to be doing liquids.

Hey this sounds familiar to me. I recently started feeling a bruised feeling in my left side. I never could feel my port before and now I feel like a hard ball feeling at that area on my side. Is that what you are talking about, a bump feeling? Could it be my port has flipped? How would I know? I am going to call the doctor. It still feels tender on my side. Any ideas?

My port has turned, as we found out when I went to get a fill and she could not access the port easily. She said this is normal because of the way I am losing weight and exercising and she did not seem concerned. It is not bothering me, except maybe in certain situations. Anyway apparently this happens quiet often.

Congrats on the weight loss....this gives me hope.....my sw was 322 i am currently going from 270 to 275 my surgery was in Jan so not too bad. Just found out my port is fliped and I'm going in tomorrow for out/patient surgery to repair it from the post I have been reading it doesn't sound major at all so I'm happy about that. Hopefully once I get this behind me I can get back on my weight loss journey. I cheat from time to time but I know if I get serious and watch what I eat I would loose much faster. Any good weight loss secreats????

I was banded on 4-16-08 So far so good ( I lost 29 lbs. ) My first fill was .5cc My surgeon said I was losing weight and it is a "WORK IN PROGRESS" I went back for a 2nd fill and he could not get it , I had an x-ray and my port is flipped. I am going to the OR today to have it fixed. My surgeon said it will be under general anesthesia. Anyone have a port fixed and what am I in for . The port pain was the worst part. I took off

work in April to have it done and I just came back from Vac. So I will have 2 days to recoup. Anyone been through this?

Thanks Tina:closedeyes:

I got my lap band on June 15, 2008. I had my first fill a month after my surgery. I went in Friday for my second fill and found out that my port is no longer attached to my abdominal wall. My doctor told me that I would have to go into the hospital over my winter break and get it fixed. He said what he will do is attach it to mesh and then attach the mesh to my muscle or something so that it won't move again. It was really uncomfortable during my fill under floro because I could feel it moving against my ribs and sometimes I feel it when I lay on my stomach. I was really nervous to get another fill because a week after my first one i started being nauseated all the time and struggling with anxiety, but I think that was because of going back to school and not the fill, but I associated it with the lapband so it's been a struggle to deal with that.

I went in this last Tuesday for a fill to find out the port had flipped, I was really shocked when he said he wanted to operate to fix in the next day. It was a short operation and was sore for 2 days but all is well now. When he was in the process of fixing the port he also did a fill