Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coffee confusion...need some more experienced advice

I'm 11 days post op. My surgeon calls for no alcohol, or coffee forever. I have committed to a lot of changes and really, nothing bothers me, giving up the weight loss struggle is worth giving up a lot of pre surgery habits.

BUT.. I miss coffee! Decaf just doesn't give me the same satisfaction. I have scoured the internet to try to understand why it is so bad... that works well for me. But I can't find any convincing arguments against it. Only, IF a patient is suffering from GERD or acid reflux as it can result in more acid production, but from what I've read, so does decaf and he says that is ok.

When I pressed the question with the NUT she said it is an appetite stimulant. Ummm, I just don't see that being an issue for me. If anything, I had my coffee in the morning and more often than not went all day without eating (I just get busy at work and don't think about it). I just know, I measure and pack my meals and plan my days, a cup of coffee in the morning is very unlikely to change what I consume during the day.

Sooooo, my questions to others with more experience are:

1. What is your Dr.'s stance on coffee?

2. Do you have coffee and what if any effect does it have on you?

I will stick with my surgeon's requirements. But if a year from now (or after I reach goal and am fully healed) and I can't find any real tangible reason so support a no coffee lifestyle, and given I still want it, I may have to step out and be a rebel :)

Hi

I had my surgery 3 ½ years ago and at that time my doctor did not tell me not to drink coffee. So – I never stopped.

Hi, I'm McButterpants and I'm a coffeeholic. :rolleyes:

I was self-pay, so I have a surgeon and what I call my local doc that is a bariatric surgeon that is providing my aftercare. The two are polar opposites when it came to reintroduction to food - the local doc being much more conservative than the surgeon. My surgeon required me to be caffeine free when he operated. I struggled with caffeine withdrawal, but go thru it and 2 weeks before surgery I was caffeine free. My local doc said no caffeine for 2 months, then we would address it.

The reasons she gave me for no caffeine directly after surgery is the diuretic affect of the coffee, so you can get dehydrated quickly - a real issue right after surgery. Also the acid on caffeinated coffee can upset your new tummy.

I honestly had one cup of real coffee per week before my two months was up - coffee helped me with some mild Constipation and it always worked when other things didn't.

At my two month meeting with the local doc she approved ONE cup of real coffee per day and made me pinkie promise to not go back to my old habit of 3-4 cups per day. It was a good compromise. Most days I only have one cup of real coffee. :wacko:

Best of luck you to you my fellow coffee-lover! Bean on.

:P coffee addict here..lol..my life line to sanity..lool..keeps the people who love me SAFE..LOLOLOLOL..and keeps my job secure. :D

My surgeon and NUT said no CAFFEINE. I can have decaffeinated coffee or tea. I usually only have about one cup as my tastes have changed. The reason I was given was because caffeine can limit Vitamin absorption. We are already taking multiple supplements because we no longer obtain the bulk of our Vitamin needs from food, so we don't need to hinder the process further. I will admit at work I do not have decaffeinated coffee available but still yearn for that morning cup of coffee. What I started doing was using a Styrofoam cup ( bad for nature but much easier to regulate amount as my ceramic coffee mug is enormous!) and fill it about half way with coffee. Then I fill to the top with hot Water. This creates a full cup of coffee, but only half the caffeine. You would think it would be to weak or watery, but it really works for me. Might be because I have become used to caffeine free at home ( couldn't give up my Keurig, just had to switch) or because my stomach doesn't handle the full strength stuff anymore. IDK... My recommendation would be ( and this is only opinion, I am not your doctor) spend the time you have in the next year of weight loss and healing getting used to decaffeinated beverages. Once you drop your addiction to the caffeine you may not wish to return to it. It is just another one of those habits we obtain that really serve no good purpose for us. Good luck!

I was told no coffee for 8 weeks after surgery do to the diuretic effect it has and that it could be hard on a new healing tummy. I was never more than a cup a day person anyway. I now have one cup every morning and incorporate it into my Protein shake. SO I drink it cold, a taste that has changed for me post op, I now love cold coffee!! My dr was fine with that. long as its no more than one cup a day.

Caffeine is fine for most people and anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't have the scientific evidence to back up their opinions. coffee does not cause ulcers. If you could tolerate coffee pre-op, chances are good you'll tolerate it fine post-op. I started drinking coffee again about 1 week post op. Nowadays I drink 2 cups a day just fine with a little fat free half & half. I compensate by drinking more Water during the day, which everyone should be doing anyway.

As for the alcohol, it's about balance. It's empty calories - and the calories really can add up. Your surgical team may be concerned about transfer addiction if you are a food addict. It's a valid concern but as long as you don't overdo it, I don't see the harm. I have had the occasional drink since I've been sleeved and I tolerate it fine. Just don't expect to lose weight if you have a glass of wine every day. I'd stay away from beer and champagne. Carbonation = no bueno.

I get sleeved next Tuesday. My surgeon says no regular coffee for three months after surgery. Interestingly enough, I am allowed to have Decaf coffee, which leads me to believe that the reason why regular isn't allowed is not because of stomach irritation, but dehydration caused by caffeine consumption. Initially I was going to drink the coffee anyway, but now I'm so worried about becoming dehydrated that I don't want to take that risk. I think I can manage with decaf coffee for three months--who knows, maybe I won't even go back to the regular version.

Ballermom in the house.

I need a serious 13 steps program for coffee lol I'm a Coffeeholic too. Especially since getting my expresso machine. I mean. Lol. I also work off shift too. Every Surgeon is different. My program didn't have much of a delay for coffee. I couldn't tolerate it early on. Now Im am slowing down a little because, coffee can take the place of needed Protein Drinks an is a diuretic/ can add to dehydration.

But I love it. For now

:P coffee addict here..lol..my life line to sanity..lool..keeps the people who love me SAFE..LOLOLOLOL..and keeps my job secure. :D

Love it. Lol

Thanks to everyone for chiming in...confusion resolved. My suspicions are correct, it depends on who you talk to and what you believe.

I think I will go ahead and give it a go for 6 months, see if I still feel tortured by the lack of regular coffee and if so, I'll slip it back in and make sure I'm still getting my Water everyday.

I am only 11 days post op. In the beginning I had issues getting the Water in because it hurt to swallow (felt like terrible air bubbles in my chest and just felt aweful like there wasn't any room for one sip!). But that went away quickly, and I don't have any problem if I'm mindful to drink it.

It's crazy how little I care about food and drink now post surgery. I could see easily not drinking enough if I don't stay conscious about monitoring it.

Hot tea in the evening helps (caffeine free of course).

Thanks again, it was all good info!

I think it depends on ur surgeon. Mine said coffee was fine after 8 weeks but to try and limit it to 2 cups per day and to continue to drink plenty of Water.< /p>