Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Terrified of becoming dehydrated

Well, the date is finally here--I get sleeved next Tuesday. I feel 99% prepared for anything that may come my way. But the last 1% is a big one: I'm terrified that I'll become dehydrated. I was on another forum earlier today and read a post from someone who had to go to the ER for dehydration. She was very emphatic about how easy it was for it to happen and how life-threatening it is. Now I'm really scared. I just can't fathom only drinking 3 or 4 ounces per hour but from what I've read that's what I can expect to experience. I don't know how my body will take that WITHOUT having to return to the hospital at some point.

Can I get some feedback from the post-surgery folks about how they managed to stay hydrated after the procedure? What were your experiences like? Good? Bad? Did you end up getting sick or were you able to drink enough? I'd really like to hear from you.

You just make it your mission in the early days to get as much Fluid down your neck as possible. Simples.

You'll know when you're getting the dehydration warning. You mouth becomes dry, your lips get dry. And as we all know, if your mouth feels dry, you've already left it too long.

In the early days, you have no other mission that to hit your Water and Protein targets. When you go back to work and start getting distracted, is when you can go and go and go and then BOOM.. You're down with dehydration.

If you always have it in your mind, it won't happen to you, because you'll constantly be sipping your Water. Simples! :)

Edited by Madam Reverie

From what I have read people drink Gatorade not sure about Powerade, ,,but search on here for more info

I got dehydrated on Day 3 - I really struggled in the beginning with plain Water. It was like drinking liquid sandpaper. (Pre-surgery, I loved plain Water - drank it all day with no issues.)

I talked to the surgeon on Day 3 and he suggested drinking Vitamin Water Zero, Propel Zero or Powerade Zero - all zero calorie alternatives to plain water.

I did Vitamin Water Zero and Propel Zero (couldn't stand the taste of the Powerade) and it helped greatly. I'm 3 months post-op and still can't do plain water, so I drink Propel Zero or water with Just Lemon or Just Orange mixed in.

As far as drinking, I set the alarm on my phone to chime every 5 minutes in the beginning as a reminder to sip.

In the beginning I didn't get anywhere near 64 ounces of water...I just did what I could.

You'll do fine - you got this!!!!

Sip, sip, sip all day long. You drink as much as you can, when you can, even when you do not want to. An alternative to sipping is sugar free popsicles. They were on my approved Clear liquids list and they were so much easier to get down than liquid; they helped me out so much! In fact, the first couple of weeks post-op, popsicles were my life line (that and my heating pad to alleviate the pain from the left over air in my body). I could never get in the required 64 oz, as requested by my doctor, but I usually ranged from 40-55 ounces. It was work, but when you are determined enough, it is feasible. You will be fine. Do what you need to do. Don’t fight it. Congrats on your upcoming surgery and good luck!

Oh... and the density of Water is lessened when you add those sugar free additives, like crystal light or those MIO squirt bottles. It makes Water so much easier to drink! Eventually, you will be able to drink water without a problem! I can (almost) chug water now, at 8 months out. You will adjust! Any hardships are weill worth it in the end. That is how it ahs been for me anyway!

Edited by Curvy

I'm just 2 days post op. Got discharged today. Have only been able to get about 8 oz of Protein Water down today. I feel every sip and my stomach spasms and I belch. Hope this is very temporary!

Drinking is a full time job, for sure. I can't ever stop drinking. It was actually easier in the beginning before I started eating solid food. Now I get so full with even a couple tbls of solid food I can't drink for 1-2 hours. Because of that, I make sure I get at least 30oz before I eat anything solid for the day. I stick with yogurt, Soups, soft cheese, and Protein shakes until late afternoon. I'm fine unless something "tips the scales" even a little bit. I've had 2 bouts of diarrhea from a Clostridial infection and I needed IV fluids both times. I got severely dehydrated (low BP, high HR, dizzy) within a day.

A friend of mine had gastric bypass years ago and I've seen her in the ER several times for dehydration. I always wondered "why don't you just drink more?" Now I know how hard it is. I am only 2 months out and from what I've read, I'll be able to drink/eat more later on. Sure hope so!

I drink G2 Gatorade every day. it helps keep me hydrated every single day. I drink it 1/2 and 1/2 with Water. That is what it is made for to keep your electrolytes up. 15 months out and every day I still drink a 1/2 bottle every single day. i can feel it if I don't.

This is strange to me though as I always was a Water drinker and still am. But I need it and so I drink it!

I was just sleeved on 2/6 and this was one of my fears as well. I know that everyone's experience is different so it's hard to say, but my own experience has been that I have had no trouble at all drinking. I have been able drink with no problems from the first sip following surgery. I did sip for the first several days, now can take almost regular drinks. I do have a drink in my hand almost all the time so I'll remember to keep drinking. Best of luck to you!!!

Be afraid...... be very afraid ......everything everyone is telling you is 100% correct .....dehydration is a serious problem ......I was afraid and worried about it as well..... I got severely dehydrated and spent three days in the hospital and a trip to the ER and I knew I needed to sip.... I didn't have enough room in my tiny little tummy .....I didn't understand how quickly it could happen..... I didn't realize in the beginning that I had to literally live with Water or a straw in my mouth at all times..... I was so sick it was one of the most horrible experiences..... sip....sip.....sip.......then sip some more...

Shel

I am 5 weeks out and still dehydrated. I just can't get my liquids in. I just drink enough to keep me out of the hospital. It's getting a bit easier but I can only do a bottle of Water everyday.