Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve weight loss times?

Hello everyone,

I have maybe what I would think might be a simple question. My fiancé and I are having our sleeves done on 03/25/14. We are wanting to look good for our upcoming wedding. We have not set a date yet because we want to lose a majority of our weight before going in front of a camera.

My question is to all sleevers. Please post approximate times in months as to how much weight lost vs. Time in months it took you to get there. I realize we are all different and we will all have different things to say. I am only asking to get a general idea of my expected weight loss or at least most of my expected weight loss before I get married. Do you lose most of your weight on the first 3 months? 6months, 9 months, etc.....

Thanks to all those that respond.

I think this is a really bad idea to timebox yourself...sorry but partial stomach removal is a lifetime committment.

If you have a small amount to lose you will get to goal faster. Men lose WAY faster than women. Individual results vary enormously.

I lost 150# over 14 months.

CGJ is right. Everyone is different and sleeved life is forever. I lost the majority of my weight in 11 months. I am now 5 lbs from goal. Ten pounds from my maintenance weight goal. My signature shows my progress, it is forever stuck however, a casualty of the Bariatric Pal change over.

I think this is a really bad idea to timebox yourself...sorry but partial stomach removal is a lifetime committment. If you have a small amount to lose you will get to goal faster. Men lose WAY faster than women. Individual results vary enormously. I lost 150# over 14 months.

I don't think you guys really understood the intent of the question. I am not thinking of this as a one time thing here in losing weight and voila here is a wedding where we lost 100lbs. .... You have no idea the amount of time in years(over 5) it has taken me to get to this point. My question was simply a general question to where hopefully not a lot of thought was needed for a response.

Actually I thought it was a great idea that way we can plan our journey together (as this is a lifetime decision) and have a general consensus that most of the weight is usually dropped in the 1st year or 1st 6months or whatever it is. We were simply using this information as a guide and not as a lifetime decision tool.

Well as you may know men lose quicker then women. I am four months post op from the sleeve and have lost just over 95 pounds since date of surgery. My biggest weight lost was within the first three month, but still losing consistently. I can only go by my personal experience. It def varies from person to person, and how active you are and committed with sticking to everything your supposed to. Stick to what your told, as by your eagerness I'm sure you will and I'm sure within three months you will be totally amazed! Please keep up updated! :-)

We are all answering your question but just consider that maybe we have experience with the process and are trying to share that. I have a friend on this forum that is a couple of years post op and is still quite a ways from goal but still working on it. I have other friends who were very slow losers and took them quite a bit longer to reach goal. It would be sad for you to set a date and be disappointed that even though you'd lost alot you were not yet at your ideal, (but maybe he is???). I followed instructions,I worked out and yet my losses still weren't as fast as some yet faster than many. I am sorry but I have read these forums long enough to know that not everyone is amazed in 3 months.

I am not sure if you can see my signature but I have been at goal for a year and am over 2 years post op.

What does your surgeon or NUT say to expect? Mine had a formula with sort of a range of where most of their patients fell after 3,6,9,12 months in terms of excess weight loss percentages.

approximate times in months as to how much weight lost vs. Time in months it took you to get there

Llunker

since you are asking a general time period..concerning your possible weight loss.......

i will say give the initial losing process of 6 months you will probably lose a substantial weight loss

that is considered the "honeymoon" period where most people lose alot of weight immediately after the surgery

everyone through these first 6 months, and the many months to follow lose weight at their own pace

remember....the one thing we all have in common is that we're all different" ;)

this should be achieved as long as you follow all the eating and drinking et al rules

i lost 94 lbs within the first 9 months - then at one year i was down 105 lbs and GOAL

as everyone else correctly pointed out

you must work very hard for the rest of your life living with the sleeve - doing things correctly

"you work with the sleeve, and the sleeve will work with you" :)

you might have a bumpy road, ups and downs, but mainly good wonderful things will happen :)

hmmmmm, am i talking about your new life with the wonderful "sleeve" ???

or am i talking about your wonderful new life with your soon to be DH?? ;)

i think they are one in the same :)

I see B) a great future for you :)

enjoy the ride to a healthier, happier, longer life

good luck :)

kathy

congrats

Edited by proudgrammy

I understand what you are asking, you might get different replies if you post your heights and weights and you could compare them with others to get the general idea. Even though everyone is different, my surgeon says you lose a majority of your weight within the first 8 months and usually all of the weight within an 18 month period. But everyone is different every surgeon will give you a different answer. I'm 5'9" I lost 80 pounds in the first 5 months. I started at 280, I have 25 more to go and I'm exactly 5 months out ! Good luck to you on your journeys. PS I would plan the wedding 1 year after your surgeries !

I think this is a great question and I think with your marriage coming up it will help to push yourself a little more with following the proper diet after surgery. It will give you that push. As you may know, age, mobility and gender are a factor to the weight loss. I am approx 5'9 and was sleeved October 7th, 2013. My major weight loss was within the first three months, just about 85 pounds. Men lose quicker then women (damn us men! Lol) I am now losing about 3 pounds a week. I am a 28 year old male. I wish you both nothing but success!

Have your wedding on your 1 year sleeveversary!!!! That way you can Celebrate that day for multiple reasons! Trust me, you both will look and feel amazing when you walk down that isle! Oh, and congratulations on both your decision the sleeve and your engagement!

I once read something? Somewhere? that you could shoot for losing 10% of your body weight the first month and 5% each month after that. So, if you started at 240, you could shoot for losing 24 lb the first month, putting you at 216, then about 11 lb (5%) and so on. This seems to hold more true at higher BMI levels, though.

Very frequently I see that people AVERAGED 10 lb per month, with the results more front-loaded, for example, 60 lb in 6 months or 80 in 8 months, but slowing down as time goes on.

I haven't seen many women lose more than 10 lb or less than 5 lb a month once the first month is done. I'm no expert; I just read tons of tickers. There is just a tremendous amount of variability. I'd say give it a year because that also gives skin some time to rebound if it's going to.

Needed to lose 80 pds.

Lost 30pds in mth 1

Lost 12 more by mth 2

8 pds mth 3

averaged about 6pds mth for next 4mths

Thanks to all of y'all!!!

This is exactly what I was looking for. It's general in terms of an average time of weight loss and I love the term "honeymoon" period. Yes we are in love and yes we are excited about our journey into our new sleeved life. Looking at 6 mths to a year for the big day sounds great!!!

Again I appreciate all of you guys and the time you have taken to help someone out.

I am so used to being the one helping someone out( as we are both ICU Nurses) and I really appreciate all that have given of their own free time to answer our question!!!

????????????

To make it simple I was sleeved on May 1 2013. I was 310 pre op as of jan 4 2014 I reached my goal weight of 180 that 130 in 8 months and I am not a super exerciser. So you can take this to the bank!

I was sleeved 6/6/13 230 lbs 5' 3.5". I lost almost 20 lbs the first month. I lost approx 10 lbs the 2nd, 3rd & 4th month. I struggled during the holidays because I wasn't really working out and I was having sweet treats. I'm currently at 165. Since I've been back in the gym as of January and eating better I'm averaging approx 5lbs a month. A normal BMI for my height is 130. I needed to lose 100 lbs. I'm 8.5 months out and have lost 65% of the weight I wanted to.