Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doctor wants us to do 2 week pre-op diet, which I understand, but afterwards wants us to strive for 4 weeks of liquid dieting if we can handle it.. We were told to make it 2 weeks at least, and then, if we couldn't handle it, to slowly start introducing mushy foods.

My nutritionist has us follow this plan:

Preop: 10 day liquid (16 oz total Protein shake throughout the day, broth, sugar free Jello and popsicles)

1st 24 hours postop: Clear Liquids only

1st 2 weeks postop: 3 meals a day (no more than 4oz) that can fit through a straw (without using a straw) with 2 Snacks (protein shake). Soups mostly, but oatmeal and soggy Cereal are ok.

Weeks 3-4 postop: Soft diet...basically anything pureed. Adding meats 3 meals a day. 2.5 oz solid and 1 oz nonstarchy veggie or fruit. Canned tuna and chicken, deli meat, eggs, Beans, etc. snack 2 Protein shakes (4 oz each)

1 month postop: normal diet

From a nutrition standpoint, a full 6 weeks of liquids does not seem healthy to me and it's nearly impossible to get enough calories in without becoming malnourished. It does not take the body that long to heal from this procedure. Did you see a nutritionist or just your doctor for the diet info?

My doctor wants us to do 2 week pre-op diet, which I understand, but afterwards wants us to strive for 4 weeks of liquid dieting if we can handle it.. We were told to make it 2 weeks at least, and then, if we couldn't handle it, to slowly start introducing mushy foods.

My nutritionist has us follow this plan:

Preop: 10 day liquid (16 oz total Protein shake throughout the day, broth, sugar free Jello and popsicles)

1st 24 hours postop: Clear Liquids only

1st 2 weeks postop: 3 meals a day (no more than 4oz) that can fit through a straw (without using a straw) with 2 Snacks (protein shake). Soups mostly, but oatmeal and soggy Cereal are ok.

Weeks 3-4 postop: Soft diet...basically anything pureed. Adding meats 3 meals a day. 2.5 oz solid and 1 oz nonstarchy veggie or fruit. Canned tuna and chicken, deli meat, eggs, Beans, etc. snack 2 Protein shakes (4 oz each)

1 month postop: normal diet

From a nutrition standpoint, a full 6 weeks of liquids does not seem healthy to me and it's nearly impossible to get enough calories in without becoming malnourished. It does not take the body that long to heal from this procedure. Did you see a nutritionist or just your doctor for the diet info?

Please note! This is an opinion! People need to follow their own doctor or nutritionist plans!We don't know you or your needs! Most surgeon's do not have such a liberal diet plan./ thanks, Karen

I'm back after a long absence and a bunch of weight gain. I decided that the best thing (for me) was to treat myself as if I'd just had surgery and go on all liquids for two weeks...well, I've done so well with it that I'm now in my fourth week.

Protein is the key. It will help you not only stay healthy, but also help you with hunger issues. Right after my surgery, back in 2008, I wasn't hungry for at least ten days.

You can do this. Just be sure to find a Protein shake that you enjoy. It took me foreverrrrr to find one.

xoxox

Please note! This is an opinion! People need to follow their own doctor or nutritionist plans!We don't know you or your needs! Most surgeon's do not have such a liberal diet plan./ thanks, Karen

No offense Karen, but you don't need to be rude. I didn't say that my diet plan was perfect and the only correct one for everyone. I said I got my plan from the dietician (who gives the same plan to all lap banders) and asked if the surgeon made the diet plan for the OP. I don't know what your freaking problem is.

I don't think karen was being rude. I think she was making an observation. What works for one person may not work for another. Each doctor has different rules and plans. It's important that we all follow the plan provided by our own doctor. Sharing your plan is fine. But someone might misunderstand your sharing as permission to go against their own doctors orders. That's all. It's hard to interpret tone in texts. I have read many different plans and they all seem to work fine for that individual. Some people had no Pre op diet at all. It's always best to follow your own doctors orders.

I have been reading posts by KAREN for a long time on this forum. She has always been nothing but supportive. She is not rude and that was not her intention!

I have been reading posts by KAREN for a long time on this forum. She has always been nothing but supportive. She is not rude and that was not her intention!

Well then she can publicly speak for herself. I have enjoyed her contribution to the boards as well. Her response to me (with the many exclamation marks) was uncalled for.

Well then she can publicly speak for herself. I have enjoyed her contribution to the boards as well. Her response to me (with the many exclamation marks) was uncalled for.

I was respectful and sent you a pm. If you want me to speak publicly, then fine. It is important that you don't give medical advice. That is something we don't do here on this site. You are new and I forgive the fact that you see yourself as an expert. so there, is that the apology you wanted. Karen, now report me if you like!

Edited by kll724

No offense Karen, but you don't need to be rude. I didn't say that my diet plan was perfect and the only correct one for everyone. I said I got my plan from the dietician (who gives the same plan to all lap banders) and asked if the surgeon made the diet plan for the OP. I don't know what your freaking problem is.

I agree with the previous posters that Karen was not being rude. I read her post as a simple reminder that what you posted was your plan and that others should follow their own doctors plan.

I do, however, feel that your comments to Karen and the other posters was rude.

I was respectful and sent you a pm. If you want me to speak publicly, then fine. It is important that you don't give medical advice. That is something we don't do here on this site. You are new and I forgive the fact that you see yourself as an expert. so there, is that the apology you wanted. Karen, now report me if you like!

Not really. In no way did I claim to be an expert at anything. I don't really know where you got that. People before me did the exact same thing and posted their nutrition plans so I thought I would contribute by posting mine so the OP could see the difference between how different doctors prefer different nutritional paths. The way you handled this Karen is very immature. If you had an issue with what I posted in the beginning you should have started with a PM instead of your rude comment. I could have edited my comment to take out whatever you misconstrued as "expert advice" (or at least clarified). But whatever, it doesn't matter. I don't care to discuss this anymore. I am not here to bicker, I am here to learn and give advice when I can help. Good day.