Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am in the process of preparing to be sleeved. I had all of my hospital testing done last month. My surgeon's office just contacted me and told me I had an abnormal EKG. She said it is probably nothing, but I need to go see a cardiologist so that I can get cleared for the surgery. Has anyone else gone through this? I am only 30 and I haven't had any heart problems before. I am not sure how to fell about this.

There could be so many things that would produce an irregular EKG, some having nothing to do with your heart. Anxiety, stress, movement during the test... Exercising beforehand can produce an irregular result. Or there may be an issue you need to address. Better to know exactly what the issue is (if any) before going in for surgery. Stressful, yes. But it doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong. Be well and good luck !!

I had the same thing. I had to delay my surgery for two weeks to get the clearance. My routine EKG showed an abnormality. They sent me to the cardiologist and it showed the same abnormality. I had to do a full stress test. Ended up that its normal for me and nothing to be concerned about. I was really frustrated as I was prepared mentally and emotionally for the surgery and then the delay took the wind out of my sails.

I was sleeved two weeks later and have not looked back.

A lot of people present with an abnormality but its perfectly normal for them. This may very well be the case for you too. Best to have it checked out and know for sure.

Good luck to you! You will love your sleeve!

I had an abnormal EKG. I found out a week before my scheduled July surgery that I have Atrial Fibrillation. I had to go through a day long battery of tests, echocardiogram, stress test, etc. to look for structural problems within the heart. I was preparing myself mentally for a heart disease diagnosis. But as it turns out, my AFib is from diabetes, obesity, sleep apnea, and metabolic syndrome. (joy) No heart damage. The pain in the ass part of this story is I had a cardioversion (which lasted 4 months, it turns out) and I had to delay surgery from July to December. I am scheduled for anther cardioversion next week. Breathe deeply. It will all be OK!

Thank you all so much! It is a little stressful. I have my appointment with the cardiologist on Friday. I will try to relax. I just had my gallbladder removed about 4 weeks ago due to stones. I know this is all for my end goal, to be healthy! I am so excited about being sleeved and starting a new and healthier life. Just gotta get through this.

Brinana,

I have to go in to have my gallbladder removed on the 20th of this month. How was your surgery. I had sleeve surgery in July and down 100 pounds so this is sometimes the issue with fast weight loss. I have large stones. Just curious if you stayed one night or more? How was the pain etc.

Where you having pain or did they just find the stones and have to get it removed prior to the sleeve surgery.

Also on your topic I too had to go to a cardiologist because I had abnormal EKG. I had the same and I was cleared after my test. I hope the same for you. Good luck.

awold0,

My gallbladder surgery went well! I didn't experience any pain prior to it. They found the stones during my ultrasound. As a precaution my surgeon wanted to go ahead and remove it. It was an outpatient procedure. It took about 40 minutes and then I was in recovery for about an hour. After that I went home. The pain wasn't too bad. Just make sure you move around. Be sure to walk as much as you can. That definitely helped with my recovery!

If I can be of any help please let me know! Thank you for your encouragement!

Brinana,

Thanks for the info. That makes me happy I hope the same for me. !! Keep us posted on the status of the cardiologist and good luck. :)

Many things can cause an "abnormal" EKG. If you have not had symptoms previously she is correct it is probably nothing. The cardio clearance is just to make sure they aren't missing something that could cause issues in surgery and postoperative. Good luck! Sleeve was the best decision I ever made. 11 months later and still loving it

Many things can cause an "abnormal" EKG. If you have not had symptoms previously she is correct it is probably nothing. The cardio clearance is just to make sure they aren't missing something that could cause issues in surgery and postoperative. Good luck! Sleeve was the best decision I ever made. 11 months later and still loving it

Thanks for posting! It's nice to see someone else who started with a low BMI being so successful 11 months later! I am 9 months behind you and hope to see the same success! :)

Thanks for posting! It's nice to see someone else who started with a low BMI being so successful 11 months later! I am 9 months behind you and hope to see the same success! :)

Yes, my BMI was on the lower side but happy to report most of my physical problems have resolved. I'm just below my goal so I'm trying to maintain and gain a couple pounds back. It is a struggle sometimes due to work and school schedules.. Congrats to you and hoping for the same success.

Great news! Stress came out normal! I received my cardiology clearance for surgery. So relieved! Now, I just need to finish up my weight management with my PCP. Once that is done it gets sent to insurance for approval. I am so excited!

Congrats!!