Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MEEEE Time! What is your "Me Time" ?

So prior to surgery my exercise of choice was breathing (read: I didn't exercise). Now that I have been cleared to exercise beyond just walking I am taking advantage of it. Seriously, I use to hate to exercise and I would avoid it like bubonic plaque.

Now I look forward to exercising. When my husband leaves for work and my daughter goes down for a nap I call that my "me time" and I take advantage of that time to exercise. I know everyone needs to find something to do that they really enjoy and I think I finally found it. I had to think back to when I was a child and what I really enjoyed doing and for me that was stretching. I LOVED stretching when I was younger, so much so that I can remember in gym class the teacher brought out this box that you put your legs up against that measured how far forward you could stretch without bending your legs (I beat everyone in class ;) ) so when I went home that day I made my own box and practiced stretching on that and trying to beat my previous measurements.

I am currently stretching for 25 minutes, 5x a week plus I add in 3 sets of 10 crunches and 3 sets of 10 leg lifts. So in total about 35 to 40 minutes a day of working out. I put on my ear phones on my tablet and listen to Pandora and workout! :)

What is your 'Me time'? how much exercising are you getting in each week and what do you really enjoy and look forward to doing in regards to exercising?

I believe in order to be successful you need to get into a routine and really enjoy what it is you are doing.

just started my exercise program... Have been introduced to the bridge and plank and 2 lb and 3 lb weights. I now have a mat and a exercise ball. Friday I get a medicine ball and some bean bags....

This is all new to me. I hired a trainer and he is working on building me up from the core as I was in a coma and lost all muscle mass....

Not liking it at all..i sweat and I am sore...But I guess it is me tome in exercise...sure hopw I learn to adjust and like it even a bit! :blink:

Mmmm.....good question. I try to have a lot of "me" time, lol. I made 2013 the year of me, and I liked it so much, I've rolled it over into 2014! I really like it. I shop. I rest. I read. I work. My youngest is a high school senior, so for the first time in 25 years, I'm starting to feel like I have some time for myself. Tonight I think I'll take a zumba class - it will be my first one. It's pretty liberating to have so much freedom :) I'm also joining the gym at work. Not sure how that's going to go - not so much me time there, lol. I'm hoping to go on my lunch hour and fit in something, since I've been lazy lately.

Trail riding on my mountain bike is my favorite me time thing to do! I had not owned a bike in over 10 years but after losing the weight I decided I needed something for me to do with this energy!

Pre-surgery, my "Me Time" would be when my husband and son would leave the house for a baseball practice or something and I would be all by myself...that's when I would eat. I would eat food and sit in front of the TV. Horribly destructive behavior that I really didn't identify until after I had surgery.

Now, my "Me Time" is at the gym or, if the weather cooperates, a nice long walk with the hubs and the dog. When at the gym, I put the earbuds in a rock out. On walks with the hubs, we talk - really talk to each other.

My me time used to be food, food, and more food. I enjoyed eating without my 6 and 8 yr. olds trying to get some of my favorite treats. Now I still enjoy vegging out in front of bad TV, or sleeping, or getting my nails done during my me time. (I am a mom of little ones, what can I say?) I used to be a gym rat, so I am attempting to build up my stamina once again by doing 20-30 minutes on my elliptical every day. Soon I will start swinging my kettlebell around again, and add my strength exercises. I will have to book my trainer for a couple of sessions too. That will feel good! :)