Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doctor is willing! Still nervous, though.

Hi! This is my first post.

I am new to my health plan (Kaiser) and met my GP for the first time today. It was initially for a physical, but it became a discussion of weight loss surgery instead. To my surprise, she is all for it. I thought that I would have to go through a million and one hoops, but I guess just being newly diagnosed with diabetes, having PCOS, and being in the "extreme obesity" range sold it for me. All I have to do is get blood work done to see where my over-all health is, take some online class and that's it - I get a referral. Cool. Just sad that my husband is having a harder time of it with the VA. He needs this, too.

So, while I am excited, I am still nervous, and even waffling about it. I have lost weight on low carb many times, and I don't even mind the diet, but for some reason I always fall off the wagon. Or I stay on long enough to lose 50+ lbs and then have to focus my entire life on keeping those pounds off like it's my damn full time job. (A job that I inevitably fail at, time after time.) And even with the Herculean weight loss effort, it only ever takes me from "extreme obesity" to "obesity". There's gotta be more to life than that!

So maybe this is the answer. It would be really nice to be able to tie my shoes and not feel like I'm gonna die. But I am still nervous.

So, "Hi!". Glad I found this forum. I'll be doing some research and learning what I can to make sure this is the right choice for me.

Tracy

your gp makes the referral but your bariatric surgeon will have you jump through a few more hoops. they all do. they want to make sure you are healthy enough to under go surgery, they want you to meet a dietician or nutritionalist and at the very least have a psych evaluation. most of us also had to do a sleep apnea study. i also have diabetits, hypertensive,cardiac arrythmias, just to list a few. so don't get your hopes up or be bummed out when you are thrown all of this. it is normal. just take a deep breath and do the check lists. good luck and i hope your husband will be able to join you on this journey. that would be really cool.

Hi Tracy!

I think only superficial and silly people are completely sure they are making the right decision.

Enthusiasm and motivation are elements that lead to success, together with self reliance and self esteem.

But having doubts is human, healthy and wise.

You are weighing the pros and cons. Your well balanced approach to WLS will help you to achieve those results which you haven't achieved so far.

Hugs!!!

( my English/American might sound odd..I'm Italian. )

Woohoo! Best wishes, and welcome to our site! Here is hoping that everything goes well for you and you hubby!

Hi Tracy and welcome! This is a great place to find information. I started my process last June, had to attend a mandatory info session and that didn't happen until August -- great you can do that on-line. Then I met with the LapBand program coordinator, psych eval and nutritionist (this was same day) and finally the surgeon. That's when I got my date and that's the weight that was submitted to the insurance company (mine required a BMI of 40 no matter what). I was banded in November and at three months out I am very happy I did this. It takes a while to get the right fills, etc. To have the band working for you, so be prepared for that. There are a lot of follow-up appointments to insure you are on the right track, so that relationship is really important. I like the after-care piece as it keeps me accountable -- I don't feel like I'm just out there on my own post-surgically. Same with this forum -- I feel very supported here, can ask anything and get clear, compassionate input. We are all sympathetic with the zillion failed weight loss attempts. The difference with the band is that when the hunger is dimmed I am no longer fighting that appetite. I feel like I am finally out of the cycle of deprivation and then the eventual swing the other way (with regain, of course, a bit more each time). I'm happy with the weight loss but I'm also just so happy to be out of food jail. Best wishes to you!

Hi! This is my first post.

I am new to my health plan (Kaiser) and met my GP for the first time today. It was initially for a physical, but it became a discussion of weight loss surgery instead. To my surprise, she is all for it. I thought that I would have to go through a million and one hoops, but I guess just being newly diagnosed with diabetes, having PCOS, and being in the "extreme obesity" range sold it for me. All I have to do is get blood work done to see where my over-all health is, take some online class and that's it - I get a referral. Cool. Just sad that my husband is having a harder time of it with the VA. He needs this, too.

So, while I am excited, I am still nervous, and even waffling about it. I have lost weight on low carb many times, and I don't even mind the diet, but for some reason I always fall off the wagon. Or I stay on long enough to lose 50+ lbs and then have to focus my entire life on keeping those pounds off like it's my damn full time job. (A job that I inevitably fail at, time after time.) And even with the Herculean weight loss effort, it only ever takes me from "extreme obesity" to "obesity". There's gotta be more to life than that!

So maybe this is the answer. It would be really nice to be able to tie my shoes and not feel like I'm gonna die. But I am still nervous.

So, "Hi!". Glad I found this forum. I'll be doing some research and learning what I can to make sure this is the right choice for me.

Tracy

Hi Tracy,

Your doing the right thing by doing your research and finding out all you can. You have a can do attitude I can tell from your post and I think that no matter what you decide when you do, that you will own it and be successful!

My advice is to read and read and then read some more. Learn about the different surgical options out there. Interview a few surgeons and bariatric groups to find one that is the right fit for you and your hubby as well.

I can't say enough about how important it is to be happy and comfortable with the surgeon and his staff for your after care.

Give your insurance company and your hubbys company a call and ask them what they require for your to have this surgery. This way you are prepared when you do make your decision to go in with a clear understanding of the requirements for each of you. They may be different.

My husband and I had the lap band surgery at the same time a few days apart, and we both hold medical insurance policies and are dependents on each others policy. However since my company is my primary their requirements for me to have surgery were different from my husbands primary. (I had to jump through a few more hoops then he did.) I was prepared for that though because I had called and checked out all the information prior to setting up the testing protocols.

Best of luck to you!! You will find very valuable information on this site as well as helpful insightful and supportive people!!

:lol: "Come on in the water's fine." I've never been sorry I got banded. Actually it has saved my life. I am no longer diabetic, my blood pressure is better and my feet & legs are no longer swollen. . . . . . . . Don't wait, call your insurance company & visit with them. Better health costs them less in claims. My PCP likes it too. In the very long run you get to buy regular clothes (Cheaper than extra sizes) and the grocery bill goes down somewhat. . (No junkfood & fewer sweets) And as far as the "water" goes (referred to above, first line. . )you will look much better in the bathing suit! Ha! ;)

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the warm welcome! Again, I am really glad I found this forum - am I going to need support and I can tell you guys are supportive! :)

I don't think I have much, if any, choice in who I get my surgery from. I have Kaiser, so my PCP will give me a referal to a surgeon within the Kaiser system (Anyone else have Kaiser? Please correct me if I'm wrong!) So far I have been very happy with Kaiser.

My husband is a disabled Vet, so he's trying to get the VA to do his surgery. They are not making it easy for him. He has a BMI of around 43, and would really benefit from this. :(

I took the online class last night and left three vials of blood for the required blood work. That was all my doctor wanted before she would put in a referral. So, now I just research while I wait.

Tracy

Congratulations Tracy, be sure to tell your husband to insist. You will do better if youi have a pal or spouse to cheer each other on! Was your class interesting? Hope to see you both on the other side. ;)