Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2014 post op losers

Wow Erin, it sounds like this has been hell for you. I hope you are able to figure out what is causing your daily dumping. I tried to make an appointment with my pcp today and found out I can't get in until May 30th. Not good. I hope I don't have any issues before then. Have you tried talking to anyone yet Erin? I hope you aren't trying to figure this out on your own. I am starting to feel a tiny bit better swallowing. I managed to complete a whole 20 oz gatorade in 24 hours instead of 36 like the last one. Yes, now since 1 pm on Sunday I have had 41 oz of gatorade. I did also lick the spoon of my husband's baked Beans, ate 1 piece of his popcorn, had literally a crumb from his twinkies and had a fingertip of Peanut Butter tonight. Maybe a total of 20 calories. I guess I need to start logging my food intake again. Lol. My blood sugar this morning when I woke up was 183. The biggest reason I did this surgery was to get rid of my diabetes and the need for insulin. If after only having gatorade and onky two sips in four hours it is still 183 I am going to be so unhappy. Just now it was 146. On a great note, I received in my email today a bunch of high Protein salad recipes including one I am going to make on Friday afternoon. Cilantro edamame hummus. If anyone would like the recipes send me your email address and I will forward you the email I got. I can't wait to try them all. Lots of beans.

I would talk to your doc. My mom's diabetes is always out of control after a surgery. I bet it will calm down soon.

Hi

ReaRae I am glad that you are swallowing a little better and I hope that your blood sugar levels improve, they should do so fingers crossed.

Erin, thanks as always for your tremendous honesty. I think highlighted the way that you feel about everything, as well as how things affect you physically is so important. I know what you mean about not wanting to eat, sleep and breathe your bypass, we are all more than that. We do not want to be defined by an operation, but we do need to live with it and it does rather take over. I am hoping that improves in time but at the moment I feel the same way. It is more important in my life than I want it to be. I want it to be effective and make a difference, but I don't want to worry about what I eat and drink, and how it might make me feel, all the time.

As you say focusing on Protein is what we all need to do and not all protein goes down well. I am finding that carpacchio and other raw meat and fish go down better than cooked fish or meat. That might not work for you though, or you might not like that sort of thing. Also focusing on what you find most enjoyable in life is also important and if having a drink in the evening makes a difference to you, and you can cope with it, then as you say prioritising this but also doing other things the rest of the time is important. I have had some sips of diet cola at times because iced Water is not always an option when I go out. I also had gelato when I was in Italy and that was a real treat. I won't have it except when I am there but it was a real treat... an we do need those.

I am sorry that you are throwing up most days. I am really lucky that I have not been sick at all, because I absolutely HATE being sick. I would do anything to avoid this. I am not sure that I have dumped as such either although I have had times when I can feel my heart beating faster, feel a bit mucousy and feel a bit nauseaous. It is not related to particular foods, but it is much more common in the mornings, and I am not good in the mornings at all. So I think it is a time of day issue. I have iffy days a couple of times a week when I feel really tired and have diarrhoea which is very difficult to cope with when I am nowhere near a loo. My consultant suggested Immodium on days like this and that would make life more manageable. I also had constant epigastric pain all day last Friday and restarted by Omeprazole for a while, because this had been happening at times over the past few weeks. I have stopped this again no and am hoping it has resolved itself.

I feel that I have done something to myself that will always leave me at risk of things that I would rather not have. However, dealing with how the emotional side of it all is really important to me. Keeping up the treats that I can have, and the social things that I enjoy, and keeping my protein high have been definite strategies for me too. Keep up your posts Erin because they help us all.

Take care

Claire

Wow Erin, it sounds like this has been hell for you. I hope you are able to figure out what is causing your daily dumping. I tried to make an appointment with my pcp today and found out I can't get in until May 30th. Not good. I hope I don't have any issues before then. Have you tried talking to anyone yet Erin? I hope you aren't trying to figure this out on your own. I am starting to feel a tiny bit better swallowing. I managed to complete a whole 20 oz gatorade in 24 hours instead of 36 like the last one. Yes, now since 1 pm on Sunday I have had 41 oz of gatorade. I did also lick the spoon of my husband's baked Beans, ate 1 piece of his popcorn, had literally a crumb from his twinkies and had a fingertip of Peanut Butter tonight. Maybe a total of 20 calories. I guess I need to start logging my food intake again. Lol. My blood sugar this morning when I woke up was 183. The biggest reason I did this surgery was to get rid of my diabetes and the need for insulin. If after only having gatorade and onky two sips in four hours it is still 183 I am going to be so unhappy. Just now it was 146. On a great note, I received in my email today a bunch of high Protein salad recipes including one I am going to make on Friday afternoon. Cilantro edamame hummus. If anyone would like the recipes send me your email address and I will forward you the email I got. I can't wait to try them all. Lots of beans.

I would talk to your doc. My mom's diabetes is always out of control after a surgery. I bet it will calm down soon.

I'm still on full liquids and don't just have any desire to drink anything but Water. I'm averaging about 300-400 calories. Should I be concerned at this point?

OH man guys. I think first of all, when they removed part of my stomach they removed the part that regulates temperature. I am always FREEZING!!!!!

Also, I only occasionally feel hungry. I eat out of habit more than hunger.

There are times that I do really feel hungry. REALLY hungry, but usually not so much.

ANyone else?

Hi Erin,

Me too I am always very cold, but we haven't hit the Summer over here yet.I have not been hungry at all since surgery, not at all. Sometimes its a real ordeal having to try to force myself. Others it is fine, but again no hunger at all.

Look after yourself

Claire

Gixxergirl,

How far out are you?

Gixxergirl,

How far out are you?

I had Rny 4/21 so a week this past Monday.

I had RNY February 5th, '14, I experienced the same issues. It will work it's self out as time goes on. About the 3rd week I had serious head hunger but even then I still ate the same calories. I don't usually count calories but I use MFP and it keeps track. I'm 12 weeks out and only get in around 500 cals a day so what your getting at this stage seems normal to me.

Thank you!

Hi to you all,

Well I seem to be losing again and have now lost slightly over 50 pounds in just under 12 weeks. More to the point my body shape has changed quite a bit and even I can see that I have lost. I have still got a really long way to go but I am really pleased that it is starting to happen. I also got my 7 stone award ( that is 98 pounds so I have now lost over 100 pounds in total) at my Slimming World group on Wednesday. I had lost some weight already before the surgery and the reason I decided to go forward with the surgery was because I was told that I wasn't burning calories like other people do and I would put it all on again.. plus more.

I do still have a couple of dodgy days a week and the greatest problem is that I can't predict when they will be, or even know that they are here until I eat something. I can't really cope with eating on those days (but I do not throw up) and I often have diarrhoea and feel really tired. However, that is not bad in comparison with some of you I know so I feel really lucky. I do not seem to dump, again in comparison with what I have read, although things have got stuck and I have felt unwell after eating. I can seem to eat a wide range of foods, but not all of them will work on an every day basis. So really things are as good as they can be and the weight is coming off so I am pleased.

How do you get the body weight ticker on to your profile?

I hope that everyone else is feeling ok at the moment and that RR you are feeling stronger every day.

Take care

Claire

Hey Claire,

It's under that wheel looking thingy next to your name. Then, go to my tickers and you can make yours. Hope that helps!!

I'm so proud of you Claire!

Great job Claire, that is so awesome!

I was told 1 cup sf yogurt at this stage of the diet. I can eat a whole cup and feel like I could eat more. I'm 1 week out and have lost 16 lbs but I fight hunger feelings all day. I'm just doing what's ordered by my doctor but I still feel hungry. I'm wondering if this feeling changes down the road some place.

Had my surgery Feb 6/14 in Toronto. Doing well with weight loss but having a lot of hunger feelings too. first time this has happened. Any suggestions for overcoming this?