Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2014 post op losers

Hmjdreamingbig

I went through something just like what you are experiencing..for me I needed to drink more water.. I read on one of the bariatric sites that hunger pains could also be a sign of needing more Water (not sure if that's true) but I increased my water and it helped. Protein, protein and more protein helps you stay full longer.. but the head hunger is horrible!!

I hope it gets easier for you soon.

So I made a kick ass dinner of grilled chicken, salad and garlic bread.

I prepared my tiny plate with an oz of chicken, two cucumbers, a slice of Tomato and and a slice of avocado. Yum yum yum!

Then I got some honey mustard dressing out for my chicken. Mmmm yummy!

It made me dump!! That was the last thing I expected. Honey mustard is no bueno.

• ryn2bthin. you look amazing!!! I think you should definitely tell you doc about your current exercise routine and see if they are still ok with 50-60g of Protein. My doc is more on the 60-80 side, but all docs are a little different. Have you tried doing a Protein Shake for Breakfast? That is what I do and works well for me! I do the costco Premier Protein (30g) or pure protein (35g) and it fills me up till lunch time.

Dreaming, can you get in any protein at this point in the day? That would really help with the hunger.

Erin that dinner sounded delish, so weird you dumped! How much honey mustard did you have? What happened with your dump exactly? I'm still trying to figure out if I've dumped or not. I don't think so.

Tonight we went out to dinner and I ordered a thai chicken satay appetizer. I was able to eat 2 of the chicken skewers (they were about 2 inches long) with the PB sauce, yummy! I don't do great with my veggies and rarely eat fruit.< /span>

Thank you very much Kimr! !.. I started out on the Premier Protein shakes. .they are very sweet but I might try them again to get more Protein in.

You will definitely know if you dump or not. For me I had palpitations, harsh stomach cramps and nausea beyond belief, It lasted for two hours. All because I accidently ate regular Jello vs so jello. I will never make that mistake again. :)

Edited by ryn2bthin

Hi Everyone.. I had my surgery Feb 6th.. The weight loss was pretty rapid the first month where I was losing over 5 lbs a week. Now I'm averaging about 11 lbs a month. I'm not able to get all of the Protein in and was wondering if that can be the reason I have stalls on my weight loss?.. I exercise daily riding my bike at over an hour each ride. Do I need to be taking in more protein? <br> I'm so happy to find a group that is at the same stage as I am..starting weight 243..weight at surgery date 226.. As of today 175.

I had surgery Feb 4th....starting weight 234...day of surgery 225....as of today I'm 187. I'm at a stall and have only been losing 1 pound a week.

The picture of me in the hospital is right after I got out of surgery.. The second picture is a week ago.

Omg!! Awesome!!

Hi to you all,

Carol, Hawaii is great and i managed the long flights from the food and tiredness point of view quite well really. It is so great here. Different scales I know but I even managed to lose 4 pounds in 4 days over the flights and couple of days here. Very strange because I have not lost that much since just after surgery. It won't last but it was a bit of a surprise.

Ryn, you look so great, a completely different person. You must be so pleased. Wow!!! It is good to see you and Esthor on here.

Eating is a constant challenge but I manage a really good variety of foods. It is just not knowing how I am going to feel for some time afterwards which is the challenge. I don't think I dump at all but sometimes after eating I can feel a small amount of palpitation type feeling and a little on the sicky side. However, the palpitation type thing goes away really quickly and the sicky feeling is not to the point where it is a real problem, I would just rather it wasn't there. And I hate feeling sick so it really is very mild! It also is not associated with particular foods, it just seems as if my body would be happier if I didn't eat at all. Strange about the honey mustard Erin, did you check the sugar content afterwards, did it make any sense at all? Kim the chicken satay sounded great. I had something similar here the other night.

My Protein is around 40-50gms per day which my dietician says is fine, but as you say they all vary. I am not able to exercise because of my back and Ryn if you are doing so much as Kim says maybe you should be doing more if you can. I agree that protein seems to help with feeling full, though for me it definitely is the thing that keeps the sicky feeling going for longer. I don't ever feel hungry though, so I am not the best person to say. I prioritise it whenever I can though. Dreaming just keep going, you are doing so well. I think the amount of fluids is also important as others say.

It is so good to hear about how well you are all doing.

Take care

Claire

Claire

How did you manage the food on the plane ride over? We are going to Europe in July and was wondering if I should bring my own food for the flight or if there are small options on the planes.

It's a real struggle to get more Protein in daily, I'm having the same issue after I eat the protein. It's like my body is not accepting it with out a noticable feeling afterwards.

What island are you on?

Best wishes

Deanna

Hi Deanna,

It is good to know your real name. I know exactly what you mean about your body not wanting to accept food. Mine really would be happier if i didn't eat at all i think. Protein foods tend not to be popular and the sucky feelings afterwards are a sign of that. I think that you don't do well at eating in the mornings, and i don't do well at that either. I am not a morning person and breakfasts have never been my strong point and now my body really doesn't like it. I feel over full, can have dufficulty swallowing and sometimes have diarrhoea as a result. Interesting isn't it!

We are on Maui and wonderful it is too! Idyllic! Where are you going to in July? Where are you flying from and too? Can you fly direct? These are all important things i think. I did eat some of the plane food but i took things with me so that i didn't need to. I took some grapes, melba toasts and Philly light and some nuts. I had a few grapes from my stash but i also had some crackers with cream cheese and a cookie which was provided. I drank iced Water too ascmuch as i could. We had an 11hour flight to LA then stayed overnight and had a 6 hour flight the next day and it seemed to work out. Going back we have two overnight flights so that will be different again and give different challenges.

What have you got planned for your trip? What country will you be going to? We had a quick trip to Italy 8 weeks after surgery and that seemed generally ok. We are doing a 4 week road trip around the Southern States later in the summer and that will need careful planning too because we are staying in B and Bs rather than in a condo.

Take care

Claire

Claire

Maui sounds wonderful!.. We went to Oahu a couple of years ago but it was March and we experienced bad weather.better luck next time right?

We are flying direct flight from San Francisco to England. We get to stay the night in Harwich England before we get on the cruise ship. We are visiting Paris, St Peters port, cork Ireland, Liverpool England, Glasgow Scotland and Holy head Wales.. then back to Harwich for a over night stay before we fly back. Not sure how I feel with being in the air for ten hours.. The flight to Hawaii was only five hours and I thought that was way too long.

I think I will follow your plan and bring a few back ups with me.

Best wishes

Deanna

Hi Deanna,

An interesting trip and cruise. It is nice that you are going to the Channel Islands too. You are going in July so the weather could be good, well the best we manage in the UK anyway. We do have some lovely weather at times, it is just not predictable. I think that the trick with long flights is not to over think them. If you think about them in advance the thought is terrible but with some good movies, some music on the iPod and meals and hopefully a nap the time does pass. I would take Snacks fir the flight that might help in your hotel in Harwich too if necessary and hopefully the ship will be fine.

We do love the San Francisco area and really northern California in total.

I hope you have a great trip and take care.

Claire

My surgery was February 5th and I'm only loosing about 1lb a week. Just a bit frustrating but still it's a loss.

My surgery was February 5th and I'm only loosing about 1lb a week. Just a bit frustrating but still it's a loss.

Tkauhi

That's how we need to look at it.. any loss no matter big or small is a step in the right direction!

Keep the positive attitude

Best wishes

Deanna

Kimr - thanks for the great idea! We're having a few friends over for Memorial Day and wondered what to serve - it's going to be chicken Satay with peanut sauce : )

Claire - so glad the flights went well and that you're having a wonderful time!

Deanna - say "hi" to Glasgow for me. That's where I'm originally from although I live in Upstate New York now. I'll keep my fingers crossed for good weather - as Claire says it can be so unpredictable.

I'm 3 months post-op today and it happened! I've stalled - reached a plateau. Thanks to all of you, I know it's common and will pass soon. Just got to keep positive. MyFitnessPal keeps sending me messages that I'm not eating enough - so my body has probably gone into "starvation mode". Hope it gives up soon : )

JanetteH

What do you have your calories set to on my fitness pal?

Thanks for the weather tips!

Deanna