Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10days post surgery- Tips on soft foods needed!

Hi Ya'll,

I just had surgery last Wed Jan 29th. Today was a rough day for me. I broke down and cried to my husband feeling a sense of regret and hunger. I was off schedule and went back to bed 2x today exhausted from still recovering and juggling 2 small kids. I tried getting my Protein Shakes in and only got one in, instead of 3. Im fighting back the urge to nibble on the little Snacks like cheezits, Cookies, toast, etc. It's tempting but it's only stronger urge because I'm not doing what I'm supposed to. I need to be on top of my meals and Vitamins and I wouldn't feel so tempted.

At this point I'm able to have soft foods. I pureed some cauliflower with garlic, pinch of cheese and a lil dollop of sour cream. Wasn't hungry and put it away for later and read that it could be to gassy.

I microwaved a yam tonight for dinner. Not going to lie I put a couple pinches of brown sugar.

I need help on sof food ideas! :( Next week I can introduce soft lean meats...looking forward to chewing some more items of food.

I had surgery January 22nd. The third day I was tired and cried about what did I do, I can't eat pizza again. I think when I didn't feel good is when I would eat comfort food. So of course I didn't feel good after surgery and couldn't eat to feel better. So my sleeve likes nonfat yogurt, refried Beans with a bit of low fat mozzarella, Soups, mashed potatoes and shakes. I tried salmon that was soft it didn't like it. If it's mushy it seems ok. Everything on the nutritionists list for week 2 and 3 works but if I jump ahead it definitely doesn't work. So nonfat Greek yogurt may be my new comfort food. :)

Meatballs w/sauce, meatloaf w/gravy, refried Beans w/cheese and salsa, scrambled eggs, egg salad, tuna salad, chicken salad, chili, split pea Soup, flaky fish filets, zucchini baked or sauteed. I'll try to think of more after I have my coffee. :)

Thank you both so very much!! That helps me so much!! Yesterday and today I find myself being so emotional! You are totally right about eating to feel better! I'm a little all over the place. I'm having a hard time sleeping, I'm tired of sleeping on my back. :( I can finally lay on my right side for a few min but laying on my left is out of the question.

Refried beans!! That's a great suggestion! I love chili I wonder if I could do that non fat version and a little while. I know this week is soft foods but next week I can start to introduce soft cooked lean meats.

I love all the suggestions thank you so much!!!

Yes home made chili works great. I am 4 weeks out. I have been making it with ground turkey.

Yesterday I made a low-fat meat pie using ground turkey for the family - they all had seconds - I had it too except for the crust.

What else: "Laughing Cow" cheese wedges, Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, fish, shrimp, Tomato Soup are all really good in my sleeve - but not eggs for me. My sleeve does not like them but maybe yours will. Also frozen packs of veggies in cheese sauce especially cauliflower. Just bought some powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury protein-enriched cheese sauce mix to try out on veggies. Make sure the veggies are not very fibrous.

I had my surgery on 1/29, too. I've started on small things like cottage cheese, tuna, puréed cauliflower. I'm not sure I'm ready for meatballs and/or meatloaf! There's an adjustment as you transition to new foods so just take it easy. Savor your bites. My husband laughs at me because every new food (like real food, not Protein shake) I say "this is the best thing I've EVER eaten". Lol! After being on a liquid diet, it's all delicious to me now!!! :)

I'm still on liquids but can relate regarding wanting to nibble on the kids snacks! I've been finishing my kids leftovers and sharing their Snacks for a long time (my kids range from 17 to 3.5yrs old) it's so tempting to just have a bite here and there! They have been really considerate of me which makes me proud and sad at once. Hang in there, some of these soft food items sound great, hopefully they will help!

These all have been GREAT SUGGESTIONS!! I am happy to report that I saw my Dr today for a post op visit and feel so much better. I am one of those statistic patients that had a horrible recovery. I was so scared to eat and I dropped 24lb in 12 days. Ive had exruciating pain since hospital stay...perhaps a nerve or muslcle was snagged when suturing or it's just my body's reaction to the surgery. Nonethless, my Dr made me normal again. Refilled my pain meds, also prescribed muscle relaxer and it's helping!

In regards to the food. I ate a few bites of stuffed spinach and cheese chicken and garlic mashed potatoes and did great! I am only takin 3-4 bites chewing very very thoroughly and so far so good! I'm going to try and egg in the morning. Guacamole sounds amazing but how do you eat that with out tortilla chips??

Can you have a few chips?

My big question is. We are allowed to have coffee, but why can't we have any cream or sugar? I get that we shouldn't have the sugar and added calories. But is it ok just to have a small portion??

Thank you all so much for all the support! This website is GREAT!!

It's interesting. What works for some does not work for others. It was a long time before I could eat beef (like a meatball or meatloaf) without a lot of discomfort. And for whatever reason, eggs never did and still don't work for me. Also at the beginning chili gave me terrible heartburn. So I guess my point is that I can tell you what worked for me at that stage, but it's trial and error. :-)

At the soft foods stage I ate a lot of greek yogurt, low-fat cheese stick, broccoli cheddar Soup (a treat!!), homemade applesauce, fish worked well as a soft food because it basically fell apart in your mouth (not tough seafood like shrimp though), etc.

These all have been GREAT SUGGESTIONS!! I am happy to report that I saw my Dr today for a post op visit and feel so much better. I am one of those statistic patients that had a horrible recovery. I was so scared to eat and I dropped 24lb in 12 days. Ive had exruciating pain since hospital stay...perhaps a nerve or muslcle was snagged when suturing or it's just my body's reaction to the surgery. Nonethless, my Dr made me normal again. Refilled my pain meds, also prescribed muscle relaxer and it's helping!

In regards to the food. I ate a few bites of stuffed spinach and cheese chicken and garlic mashed potatoes and did great! I am only takin 3-4 bites chewing very very thoroughly and so far so good! I'm going to try and egg in the morning. Guacamole sounds amazing but how do you eat that with out tortilla chips??

Can you have a few chips?

My big question is. We are allowed to have coffee, but why can't we have any cream or sugar? I get that we shouldn't have the sugar and added calories. But is it ok just to have a small portion??

Thank you all so much for all the support! This website is GREAT!!

I am wondering about the tortilla chips too. To have some chips and salsa (just 1 or 2) would be worth killing for about now. OK truthfully, that list is very long...