Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling defeated.

It's true, I am. The past three years I have been learning about WLS. The past three months I have been trying to get approved for WLS. I can feel the windows of opportunity close as I exhaust every plan if action. I'm feeling defeated.

Private pay may be the last resort, but it is always an option. It was my only choice, so I didn't have to wonder or jump through hoops.

I know it can take it out of you - but don't feel defeated yet - keep strong! It did take me 6 years from the start of enquiring, to actually getting my surgery - but it was worth it - so don't ever say never

Sorry you are having a hard time....what about self pay? I knew within 5 minutes of reading the WLS exclusion in my insurance policy that I was on my own. So I put my energy into researching my options, finding a great surgeon, saving my money and preparing myself mentally for postop success. All that was much more productive than worrying about meeting insurance requirements and jumping through hoops. It meant not getting the new truck I was saving for, missing out on 2 years worth of vacations, and cutting back on a lot of other expenses, but well worth it to be in control of my own destiny, rather than at the mercy of some insurance auditor's pen stroke.

I know how you feel!! When I started looking into the surgery, I thought I had read I was covered under my husbands insurance. I had researched, watched the seminar online, seem a billion pictures about the surgery, I even filled out tons of forms for the doctors office, and had discussed at length with my Primary Care doctor about me having the surgery.

I was devastated when I got the call that my husbands employer had an exclusion for ANY WLS. I spent a few weeks thinking that I would have to wait on the surgery. But, after discussing it with my husband, we decided it was worth the price of a new car. My body needed a "new car". We started getting loans. We ended up with a couple smaller loans, and a couple of family loans that are letting me wait on paying them until I get the smaller loans payed off.

This was an expensive way to do it, but I would do it again for myself or my husband (if he ever needed it..It's doubtful though, he works a physically hard job and eats relatively healthy).

Now, I have read more about Mexico since my surgery. They are WAAAY cheaper. But, DO YOUR RESEARCH and MEET online before selecting a doctor. Go to a very well known place! There are definitely reputable places down there. My husband and mother were very upset about it when I first brought up the possibility of plastic surgery down there. But, I think I have my husband convinced (only one Im worried about caring). So, I'll be researching in a year or 2 :)

I hope you find a way if this was truly what you wanted.

Thanks. I know that I'm a good advocate for myself, and if there is even the slightest chance Of me getting it I will.. But it still fucking sucks!

Not to mention that when I told my grandfather about my choices his first sentence was "yeah or you could just get healthy, may I pray for you?" Sure.. Grandpa whatever you say. Let me inform those of you who don't know, my grand mother died because she was overweight and severely diabetic. His daughter is on the fast track to the same grave. And now his granddaughter is using every resource she can think of in order to live past 59 years old. (Yes that is how old my gran mother was when she died)

I really appreciate the kind words. Keep them coming.. I still have a bunch of time until I can feel healthy. And if anyone else wants to grumble with me, please join me. I appreciate it! :)

Dylan