Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm only four days out from surgery, so please allow me to rant this one time. I know the days will be much better, ahead.

First of all, NOTHING could have prepared me for the pain I felt post-op. It was like my body had gone into shock. I had no nerves or worries up until about a minute before they put me under, when I became teary-eyed and emotional, which is only natural. Immediately upon coming out of anesthesia, I had a major panic attack (or thought I was having one). I was fine, but was in such a state of shock I literally felt I couldn't breathe. It took a long time for me to calm down. I doubt most people are like that, but I really flipped out.

Seconds later I was in a huge amount of pain. It was a burning, stretching, stinging feeling spreading all over my abdomen followed by continuous, major gas pains. I really thought I'd not feel anything. Of course I didn't during the operation itself, but I assumed I would be medicated enough that I wouldn't feel physical pain. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Mostly, it was just air causing the pain. I still feel it, though it has subsided quite a lot since being home and getting around more. Today, the fourth day, is the first day that sitting up, getting out of bed, etc. has not hurt like hell. It felt like I would surely rip apart something inside my stomach, though my surgeon assured me this wouldn't happen. Today is much better.

Overall, I probably shouldn't complain, because in general things went great. Physically I am totally fine. But if you don't realize this is quite a shock to your system....you are in for a surprise. I'm sure everyone handles pain differently but I was just stunned at the intensity and acuteness as it came and went those first couple of days. Grateful now to only be mildly uncomfortable, but the amount of air inside my body was just horrible. Nothing has helped except movement, and I tried everything.

My belly looks like I got beaten with a bag of oranges, I'm all puffed up and swollen like a beached whale. The icing on the cake is being in the northeast where coming home from the hospital we were treated with two whole days of no power or heat. To top it all off, after ten days of absolutely no food and subjecting myself to major surgery, I've only lost one whole pound thus far. Nice!

Thanks for the vent. As I said - better days ahead!

Prayers to you that you will definitely have better days ahead!

Oh gosh...thats what my post op was similar too.

Once I was home I slept with a heating pad on my belly. It brought the swelling right down in a week or so.

It gets better. Hang in there and focus on healing and hydration!

I had a really rough time right after surgery also so I totally feel your pain. I wasn't prepared for it to be as painful as it was. I read so many stories of people feeling no pain, sprinting down the halls a few hours after surgery, I was expecting an easy recovery. Not so much. The pain when I woke up was terrible and the 2 days I spent in the hospital were really bad. I cried for several days, i couldn't even get up the first two days like i read mostly everyone does. It got better once I got home but I was still in pain. It's different for everyone. People have different experiences and will tolerate things differently. I hope you're feeling better soon. It DOES get easier-hard to believe but yes it does. Hang in there!

Edited by Fallenangel2904

I definitely agree that I did not feel like anyone could have prepared me for what those first 2 weeks were like. It was the hardest thing I have ever done. But I can honestly tell you that it DOES get better, and I have never once (after I got through those first 2-3 weeks) regretted my decision. But during that time, it is hard. Mine wasn't hard as much physically as it was emotionally.

I am 3 days post op and I too came to grips with the fact that this is really a major surgery. Just because a lot of people have done it and the risks are low doesn't make it less intense...so I hear you. Also, I had some thoughts that I might return to work in a week, but seeing as how near that is, I am starting to have doubts based on my pain levels. I do feel that I am getting better each day, but it feels a little slow.

Keep up the great work. We are strong enough for this and we are not alone.

I don't know how you managed without power. Ugghhh! Glad you're starting to see some light at the end of the proverbial tunnel, though.

lol i reacted the exact same way... it was a total shock but after 3 days it was only a memory! good luck on your journey it only gets better from here!

I agree, sleeved 1/29/14 can't imagine this outpatient as I have read previously on some forums. Definitely a reality check this is MAJOR surgery and your body reminds you of that!

Oh wow. I feel so bad for you guys. I did have my surgery outpatient (which is what I chose/wanted) and had very little discomfort. - no need for any pain medication actually. Hope your journey gets better/ easier! :)

Edited by Mrs.RRn