Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 day post op- dry heaving? Help!

I'm one day post op for the sleeve. Was sleeved yesterday morning. Was fine last night and this morning until I took off my anti-nausea sticker and had my X-ray done with barium. Felt nauseous after drinking the barium. A couple times I felt like I needed to throw up: not really nauseous, just had the sudden intense feeling of my mouth watering and needing to find a bucket. This happened again after I went for a walk, and this time I actually dry heaved.

All my nurses say this is normal, as my body just went through a major change. I'm just hoping someone else has had a similar experience and can calm my nerves? I was converted from band to sleeve yesterday and all I keep thinking about is how with the band you DON'T throw up because of how dangerous it can be.

Erin

I did the same a few times on day 2/3. Three up blood, too, which would have scared the pants off me but the nurses said it was normal. Have not thrown up since; now week 3.5!

The first three days were very rough for me but then things started to get better. I am one week out, I had surgery on 1/29.

I had that for a day or so.. stomach spasms

Take a deep breath, take it real easy... With everything. Take tiny sips of Water and relax. Try not to push yourself to move too much if you're feeling nauseous and weak. The more you tense, the worse it'll get. Baby steps at this time with everything and within a very short space of time, it'll ease.

Wish you all the best.

Yes, i did too. Remember that you also still have some effects from anesthesia too!

I also had that the first 24 hrs- I don't typically do well with anesthesia.

I had the dry heaves for the first 3 days. I also don't react well to anesthesia. Never have. But once most of it was out of my system, a nurse coached me to drink my first ounce.

Its not fun...but you'll make it threw. One hour at a time.

I should also add this...I barfed my way threw the leak test. They had to do it fast cause I kept barfing and heaving over and over.

Edited by gomekast

Threw up on day three. It was a stomach spasm. I happened to have a sleeve full of Water when the spasm hit. I took a bentyl and was fine. Haven't had that happen again.

Constant dry heaves for 3-4 days. I would sip, I would gag. It was horrible. Then it magically (mercifully) went away. THey sent me home with a bunch of nausea meds, but after a day or 2, I didn't bother taking them. I was fine.

Thank you all for the responses. I've been loaded with everything today. Two shots of zofran, pepsid(sp?) and an anti nausea medicine that came in the form of a shot to my thigh.

However, we discovered the problem was the pain medicine they have me on. Not even two minutes after it was in my IV, I was throwing up.

I'm just ready for this to pass! I have no appetite to drink Water. I have to force myself. But, I know this is worth it.

Good news! Just got another dose of pain medicine, but this time no dry heaving! Had a lot of spit in my mouth but I'll take that! Finally, I can see the better days.

I'm sure it's all the IV fluids, but I noticed that during the night, I was passing gas a lot. Eventually, my gas turned into diarrhea. Did anyone else have this issue? Is it normal?

I'm sure it's all the IV fluids, but I noticed that during the night, I was passing gas a lot. Eventually, my gas turned into diarrhea. Did anyone else have this issue? Is it normal?

yep it was 3 weeks before I pooped solid then I went the other way and struggled with Constipation it has taken a while to get regulated LOL your body has been through a major change. Just sip your Water and broth follow the plan and it will be ok.

yep it was 3 weeks before I pooped solid then I went the other way and struggled with Constipation it has taken a while to get regulated LOL your body has been through a major change. Just sip your Water and broth follow the plan and it will be ok.

At least I know I'm not alone, haha. This is just such a change from the lapband. Glad to know I'm on the right track!