Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Surgeon does not require 2 week pre op liquid diet?

I have my sleeve surgery scheduled for Feb 24. I have noticed on this site that every Surgeon has a different set of rules, guidelines etc. I have noticed that a lot of Surgeons have their patients on a 2 week liquid pre op diet. My final 4 hour consultation is Wed, Feb 18 where I meet with NUT and get all do's and don'ts etc. This Surgeon does not require a 2 week liquid pre op diet. I am thinking that I may want to be proactive and do the 2 week "cleansing" diet on my own just to be safe. I am starting to wean myself off of coffee ( 1/2 Decaf down to all decaf) and have discontinued any alcohol consumption. I would appreciate any feedback or insight. I am very excited and ready to get this process going.

I hAd my sleeve done Jan 18 in NY i was told only to do a liquid intake 2 days before my surgery 5.3" @ 234 now 2.5 weeks I'm at 219. Feeling great back to normal surgery was easy 2 days in hosp with little pain just tuns of shoulder pain but walked walked it off it works. Good luck just take it slow the1st week or so drink slow

proactive and do the 2 week "cleansing" diet on my own

Vegas (baby ;) )

you are off to a great start :)

getting prepped up for WLS

weining yourself off coffee, drinking :)

if you want to continue with "DO's and Dont's" - practice important Water issues

do not drink Water for 15 - 30 minutes prior to eating

never ever, ever drink with your meals!! (people have been shot for less :D )

wait 45-60 miutes after you eat before you drink again

drink at least 64 oz of water a day

like you mentioned all docs have different rules

the one thing they all have in common, is that "they" are all different ;)

February 24th will be here before you know it

you'll probably have many different emotions before surgery

being happy, scared, excited, all that good stuff

don't worry, this is all normal

good luck on your journey to a healthier, happier, longer life

speedy recovery

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

My Dr didn't require the liquid diet either, in fact I was only told to do liquids 1 day before. Then kept reading about shrinking your liver and how it does help with the surgery. since I was doing a revision I wanted to do my best to make my surgery go off with out a hitch. I was very thankful that I had already done a pre-op diet before hand to get me used to liquids after surgery. It really helped me appreciate the food variety at every stage.

Good luck on surgery it sounds like you are being proactive about it!

I would recommend the pre-op liquid diet..I was so scared that my liver would be huge since I love bread! And I did not want any complications from that..My surgeon required it and actually said if the liver was large that he would not do the sleeve..It is really not that hard to do the liquid diet after the 3rd day..You will know what head hunger is for sure. Sounds like you are doing everything correct..Just keep it up!

My surgeon did a 10 day diet, 9 1/2 were full liquids with Clear Liquids from 2pm (until midnight) the day before. But my BFF, who used a different surgeon, was put on a two week diet that included two Lean Cuisine meals a day. Each surgeon is different, as each weight loss journey is different. To use a winter analogy ( because who hasn't had enough winter yet?) it is all as individual as a snowflake! I will tell you this, anything you do pre op to help you prepare will only pay off for you post op. I won't lie and say there might not be struggles, because there probably will be. But if you are making the effort mentally to prepare it is nothing but helpful. And the lower your BMI is going in the less risk of complications. So if you can drop that a few points it is just a bonus. ( not to mention less you have to lose post op) It is great to be proactive but also listen to your surgeon and NUT. I think this is a journey of knowledge and not any one plan is the perfect one. But the overall is what is perfect!

My surgeon had me do one week of liquids, even though the materials I was given said two weeks. He said it was because I had 100 pounds to lose instead of 200, and that I had done well on my 3 month supervised diet (23 pounds). He also had an ultrasound done of my liver to estimate the size and position. I agree with the others that a liquid diet of any duration will help prepare you for post-op living. Wishing you good luck and good health.

My pre-op diet was:

1 fruit

1 yogurt

2-3 Protein shakes

2 meals of 3 oz. meat and green veggies

1/2 c. starch (which I didn't eat)

unlimited vegetables (non-starch)

The last day before surgery was my only liquid day.

It was easy, and it kept me strong for surgery! :)

Every surgeon seems to have their own pre op prep. Mine was just five days pre on clear liquid diet. Was not a too bad. What ever your surgeon requires, you will get thru it too. Good luck!

I also only had one day pre-op...I think it may be related to starting weight... I am not sorry I didn't have to drink those awful shakes, I drank them afterwards and that was plenty. I did very well, and am losing weight fine....

I do second what one lady mentioned above, though...if I did it over I would practice, practice not drinking before and after meals for 30 minutes..it is damn difficult to do. I also would give up caffeine beforehand, will make your first days easier!

Good luck!!!

Wow, it's funny how so across the board different surgeons are.

I had to go through a 6 months waiting period before my surgery (and lose 10%). I started off with 1 shake a day for 3 months (with lunch/dinner), then 2 shakes a day (only dinner). My Dr. didn't require the 2 week liquid diet, I just had to fast the day before. The waiting period did help me prepare for the surgery.

Same with me my surgeon doesn't require a 2 week diet either... my surgery is Monday February 10th... I start soft foods on Saturday...but I am actually going to start Friday instead. And then my instructions are clear broths and liquids a little 7 up if I want a bit of soda on the night before. I also have to do a bowel prep using this stuff that is suppose to SUPER cleanse your entire digestive track. That has to be done Sunday night as well...and that's it. My mom used the bowel prep before a surgery she had and she says it is HORRIBLE...so I might have to use magnesium nitrate instead which he said could be used as an alternate if I couldn't stomach the bowel prep.

I was not required to do a two week diet at all. The day before I was allowed liquids, that was my only restriction. I am almost four months out and healthy as can be and my surgery obviously went fine. Down over 90 pounds since day of surgery. Different programs have different rules. Just follow your program and everything will be perfecto! Best of luck to you and hope for updates!! :-)

Same with me my surgeon doesn't require a 2 week diet either... my surgery is Monday February 10th... I start soft foods on Saturday...but I am actually going to start Friday instead. And then my instructions are clear broths and liquids a little 7 up if I want a bit of soda on the night before. I also have to do a bowel prep using this stuff that is suppose to SUPER cleanse your entire digestive track. That has to be done Sunday night as well...and that's it. My mom used the bowel prep before a surgery she had and she says it is HORRIBLE...so I might have to use magnesium nitrate instead which he said could be used as an alternate if I couldn't stomach the bowel prep.

I had to take magnesium citrate at 2p the day before my surgery. It was disgusting, and oh goodness stay close to the bathroom! Uhh! It definitely will cleanse!

My Dr. did not require any pre liquid dieting or soft foods, other then to tell me to fast after midnight before my surgery. For the most part all has gone well other the miserable time I have pushing bowels, which I can only do from a standing position since it hurts to much to push whiles sitting down. I have been taking Miralax but still having pain! Grateful for any suggestions!