Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stalls and Not moving Bowels

I am getting a little worried. I am currently stalled almost 2 weeks now where the scale hasn't moved. I also haven't had a solid bowel movement in over 3 weeks. I contacted my doctor's office and the bariatric coordinator advised me as long as I was passing gas, I was ok and shouldn't be co concerned. He told me to take Milk of Magnesia and that would help, but it hasn't!!! It just gives me the stomach gurglies (sp). I am so scared something is wrong with my bowels. Now I told him if I drink a juice with sugar. I will go right away and it would be a loose runny like stool. He told me that was "Dumping". I am 6 weeks out and now on regular foods and still cannot understand why I haven't been able to move my bowels. I don't feel bloated, constipated, feel any pain, but passing gas like crazy. I also don't have my gallbladder....but very worried. Has this happened to anyone or any suggestions? My next move is prune juice as this was a remedy for me pre surgery as I wasn't regular. I would go at least 2 days a week. Help please!

I started having some pretty serious Constipation issues myself. It felt like I didn't have the "push" I used to have, if that makes any sense. After doing some reading and research I started taking Probiotics, one a day. While I do still have a day or so without on occasion, for the most part I am now back to pretty regular. I had considered laxatives or stool softeners, but Probiotics seemed like a more natural remedy. So far they have worked for me. Between your constipation issue and taking sugar as a remedy ( probably not a good idea) this may help explain your stall. Talk to your doctor about probiotics and get his take. I know I am glad I found them...( PS- I used to have HORRIBLE gas too, which has now calmed down greatly with the probiotics)

It is highly likely that all will get regular with time. Remember that your food intake is much less. If farting then the GI tract is ON so give it time. Use the drugs suggested and give yourself time.

As long as you are passing gas, aren't severely bloated with a tight abdominal wall, and not vomiting your food, you need not worry that there's a bowel obstruction or something like that. (People can have a 'partial obstruction,' but again, it seems you would have more discomfort, and some vomiting by now.)

I occasionally take Perdiem tablets (2) at night to help with bowel movements. Ask your doctor if that's okay with them.

An enema might help with the stool low in your system; it might be hard and not lubricated enough to pass. With that gone, the other may come down..

You said you weren't regular "before" so, with even less food, it's not surprising that you aren't regular now. But talk to your doc about Perdiem, also unripe pears, well chewed. Good luck and keep farting--it's a good thing!

Edited by Dr-Patient