Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know I read this on here before but couldn't find it. I was at an event the other night just sitting and talking with people when suddenly one woman said " I'm tired of being fat". This was followed by another comment that said me too but I wouldn't have surgery. Guess we can be fat together. Everyone looked at me and this woman walked away. I wanted to bit@h slap her. I was at a loss and it got brushed over.

How do you handle these remarks from people?

Were you being chastised for getting WLS? If that's what her remark was about, oh hell, I'd have looked her dead in the eye and said, 'well then, you stay fat and this skinny bitch will dance on your grave.' I bet that would have shut her up.

well said gowalking :P

I'm from New York City Pinky..and we don't come any tougher when we need to be, that's for sure. Again...good luck with your surgery...you'll do great.

I would have said ya I used to think like that but now I am good at what I have accomplished and I will se if you have lost or styed the same in a few months if your still here, then again they are probally being jelous or maybe they think they can do it on their own , but try to ignore it and just stay away from the negatives , look at the postives you have done , I mean what are they doing , so who cares don't worry about it be around more people and positive things that are happening , I mean did you do the surgery for them and everybody around or for your health and benefits or theirs, think about it , so who really cares what they think, just saying , as I don't care if people like or don't like what I do I am me and I do things for my health and well being , it does help to have support and more positive people though .

Edited by Debbie3sons

Like I said before, women can be snarky. I choose my friends and conversations wisely and stay away from the rude idiots. Best of luck!

Like I said before, women can be snarky. I choose my friends and conversations wisely and stay away from the rude idiots. Best of luck!

I like this advice. I heard an old Southern joke years ago. instead of cursing, polite southern ladies just say, "My how nice"! So that is my New years Resolution. My how nice!!(you can read between the lines on that one)!!!Karen..aka.kll724

Edited by kll724

Us nice southern ladies may have also replied "well bless your heart" dripping with sweetness....and then walked off. What a jerk.

there are two types of people in this world.....

fat people who will whine/moan and make up every excuse NOT to get well (i was one of those for about 3 yrs)..and the other is the fat people who get up off their ass and do something about it.....

Edited by ☠carolinagirl☠

I have had mixed reactions from people who ask "how did you lose so much weight?".. they either are curious or disappointed. The lady at GNC the other day even just shut down when I told her I had lapband. it's just one of those things that sometimes people have preconceived notions about weight loss surgery. I guess unless you lose it like Biggest Loser you aren't legitimate. it doesn't matter what other people think, You and only you are responsble for your health..

Years ago I was complaining about my situation, but doing nothing to change it.

A friend of mine asked me :"What do you do if you put a hand on a fire?"

"I take it away!!!"

"Why?"

"Because it hurts"

"Well, if you do nothing, it means that it doesn't hurt enough"

Might it be the case of that( unpleasant )woman?

Any overweight person that really wants to lose weight has to find what works for them. Some people are very successful on Weight Watchers, for others it is Jenny Craig, some can do it own their own, etc. What works for one person won't necessarily work for another person. So for those of us that have had WLS, it's the program that works for us. It's a tool. And even with the lap band, we still have to exercise and eat healthy. One method of weight loss isn't better or worse than any other method if it results in success. So hold your head up high no matter what anyone says. You are accomplishing your goal- weight loss and a healthy lifestyle, which makes you a much happier person. And you don't need negative people in your life.

I would have said that I'd rather not dye young... that should shut them up!

But you can find inner peace and satisfaction by saying to yourself " I Love NOT being fat, but healthy and fit, thanks to this WLS"

When people are confronted with the truth (just by you standing there) they can get very defensive...they feel cornered....

You can point the way, show people the doors that are now unlocked...but you can't force them...everyone makes their own decisions...and some people are either too afraid to take that step, or too comfortable in their own mire....and we all live with the consequences....

It's not your problem.....

Edited by B-52

through out life people will come and go some will make an impact on your life some won't - don't let her impact you in a negative way.. you are doing what you need to do for you. without the lap-band i don't doubt that rather than being 40lbs down at this point in my life my scale most likely would be topping 300lbs at this point as that is they way i was headed..

Keep it up and let no one change you.

Edited by intelirish