Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1) What do you do if you feel like something you ate got stuck? I have not eaten real food yet, but I would like to know so that I don't panic if by chance it happens.

2) when will I be able to go out to a restaurant and just feel free to pick at apps with friends as opposed to sitting down to a meal? Like tapas or other?

3) how do spicy foods sit with the sleeve? When is it ok to eat? I am not there yet, just curious.

:)

1. During the 5 weeks , if I ate something that did not go well with my stomach, or did not chew enough..I actually threw up..It is not your typical throw up. Much less painful than real vomiting.

2. I would wait to eat appetizers since they r usually high in fat and carbs. If u find lean tapas or appetizer that is mostly Protein then that should be ok. I did not eat at a restaurant till 5 weeks out. I don't eat out often..I feel more comfortable knowing how much Protein , calories , etc if I eat at home.

3. I love Indian food ..I have not had that yet. However..I do add red , black pepper to my cooking .. At 7.5 weeks out it does not bother me. I would be cautious the first month though with too much pepper.

My surgeon's plan progresses his patients very slowly -- I think maybe that's the reason I've never had anything get "stuck." That and I take very small bites and eat slowly.

I wouldn't worry so much about appetizers vs. meals. Just pick out something that looks tasty and is sleeve-friendly. If there is too much of it, get a to-go box and make several meals out of it. I started going out to restaurants occasionally when I was cleared for soft foods, which for me was 8 weeks out. I would order things like halibut, scallops, or chicken salad.< /p>

My dietician cleared me for as spicy as I could tolerate as soon as I moved on to purees. One of the first things I made was chicken pureed with Sriracha sauce. I kept using various hot sauces probably 4-5 times per week and still do. I haven't had any problems with it. I would say that with any new food, test it out in small amounts and at home - if you do have a disastrous reaction, you don't want it to be at a restaurant, or a dinner party at your boss's house, etc. Good luck!

First of all, I am over 4 months out and I have never had food get stuck. Chew your food well ( don't rush it) and you should be fine. I have never thrown up but I have experienced one episode of over-eating. That was not fun and it was something i just had to wait out.

Second question: My first restaurant trip with my husband was at 4.5 weeks out. We chose a tapas restaurant and it was great. Basically we chose several dishes and I sampled a little. I didn't have a more than a few bites total because my appetite still hadn't returned. The following week I went to a burger restaurant with some friends and I ate 1/2 a mini "slider" burger ( minus the bun). That broke the seal with eating in front of others. I am not sure why, but I was nervous about that.

Third: after any abdominal surgery , it is reccommended that foods are not overly spicy for the first 4-6 weeks while healing.That being said, they don't have to be bland foods either. Guacamole and salsa were 2 of my early staples. Your body will tell you what is right or wrong, believe me.

Make a plan to eat properly, drink properly and enjoy the ride!

1. During the 5 weeks , if I ate something that did not go well with my stomach, or did not chew enough..I actually threw up..It is not your typical throw up. Much less painful than real vomiting. 2. I would wait to eat appetizers since they r usually high in fat and carbs. If u find lean tapas or appetizer that is mostly Protein then that should be ok. I did not eat at a restaurant till 5 weeks out. I don't eat out often..I feel more comfortable knowing how much protein , calories , etc if I eat at home. 3. I love Indian food ..I have not had that yet. However..I do add red , black pepper to my cooking .. At 7.5 weeks out it does not bother me. I would be cautious the first month though with too much pepper.

Thank you so much!!!! Great advice and info.

First of all, I am over 4 months out and I have never had food get stuck. Chew your food well ( don't rush it) and you should be fine. I have never thrown up but I have experienced one episode of over-eating. That was not fun and it was something i just had to wait out. Second question: My first restaurant trip with my husband was at 4.5 weeks out. We chose a tapas restaurant and it was great. Basically we chose several dishes and I sampled a little. I didn't have a more than a few bites total because my appetite still hadn't returned. The following week I went to a burger restaurant with some friends and I ate 1/2 a mini "slider" burger ( minus the bun). That broke the seal with eating in front of others. I am not sure why, but I was nervous about that. Third: after any abdominal surgery , it is reccommended that foods are not overly spicy for the first 4-6 weeks while healing.That being said, they don't have to be bland foods either. Guacamole and salsa were 2 of my early staples. Your body will tell you what is right or wrong, believe me. Make a plan to eat properly, drink properly and enjoy the ride!

Yummm guacamole and salsa! Great! I just wanted an idea if I have to go to some sort of get together or dinner outing. Great ideas and thanks for the info.

Do sauces make a difference when you are cooking? Like Tomato sauce? Soy,

Etc acidity etc ..... Love fish all types of ways and I want to get creative. My NUT actually scared me with the burger meat so iam glad to hear some can tolerate it. :)

1) What do you do if you feel like something you ate got stuck? I have not eaten real food yet, but I would like to know so that I don't panic if by chance it happens. 2) when will I be able to go out to a restaurant and just feel free to pick at apps with friends as opposed to sitting down to a meal? Like tapas or other? 3) how do spicy foods sit with the sleeve? When is it ok to eat? I am not there yet, just curious. :)

I'm only 9 days out, today I went to Panera bread and had a French onion Soup, I didn't eat the Bread or the onions in it, I took my time and it went down pretty well. I haven't had anything stuck or spicy foods but I'm really early in my process. Good luck to you! N go out have some soup! Haha

I'm just coming up on 4 months post op and here's what I know.

If something truely gets stuck, most will throw it up. Its instant. .trust me, you'll know. It comes fast n bam! (Today..was my first time NOT throwing up chicken breast.)

I've got a family with small kids, so I've gone out to eat a few times. I stick with what I know I can handle..Dennys I'll order a fried egg and turkey bacon, buffets I'll get baked chicken leg and cottage cheese. The waiter does look at me strange but I'm always happy and smiling so they don't question anything.

Spicy-i couldn't drinl coffee until a few weeks ago. Made me sick, too acidic for my sleeve. Spicy stuff..I tried it at clearence for normal foods, and I could feel each bite slowly slide down. Didn't feel too good. I've backed off for now, deciding that I want my sleeve to heal completely first before throwing it anymore spicy stuff.

Edited by gomekast

1. During the 5 weeks , if I ate something that did not go well with my stomach, or did not chew enough..I actually threw up..It is not your typical throw up. Much less painful than real vomiting..

This is soo true! Before surgery I used to just heave and heave..my whole body would heave with the stomach. Now, I can stand still and it comes in a tiny tiny amount. Still not fun but way easier to deal with post op.

I'm just coming up on 4 months post op and here's what I know. If something truely gets stuck, most will throw it up. Its instant. .trust me, you'll know. It comes fast n bam! (Today..was my first time NOT throwing up chicken breast.) I've got a family with small kids, so I've gone out to eat a few times. I stick with what I know I can handle..Dennys I'll order a fried egg and turkey bacon, buffets I'll get baked chicken leg and cottage cheese. The waiter does look at me strange but I'm always happy and smiling so they don't question anything. Spicy-i couldn't drinl coffee until a few weeks ago. Made me sick, too acidic for my sleeve. Spicy stuff..I tried it at clearence for normal foods, and I could feel each bite slowly slide down. Didn't feel too good. I've backed off for now, deciding that I want my sleeve to heal completely first before throwing it anymore spicy stuff.

How much weight have you lost in 4 mo just curious? :)

I am 4 mos with GSV. I have lost about 40 lbs. I just bought 2 pairs of size 16 pants today-was hitting a big 20 before. Spicy I still have trouble with, at times - my palette has totally changed as well right after surgery I did not crave spicy-I did crave fatty but knew I couldn't eat it. Restaurants I get really frustrated because I want a drink and an app and an enntree-like I used to eat. I order a drink but then cannot finish it ever in the hour we are there. I really miss an app and a cocktail together. For apps, I can do potstickers (2 chewed very slow) and I know its not good, but I can have 1 sm eggroll. I had a crab cocktail for dinner one night, shrimp cocktail one time. Soup works, and even a small quesadilla is ok if its not too cheesy. I usually take about half my food home in a box so I usually get something that reheats well. I just had a piece of pizza first time yesterday and it really freaked my tummy out for like an hour-I think its all the dough. I do not eat much bread, no soda, no red meat, no full sugar juice-I Water down all juices and have not had any OJ yet. Frozen yogurt has become my guilty pleasure but I can't eat more than an ounce or two at a time and I usually go for the no sugar version. Noodles like a

ramen (fresh) type is good and goes down easy so japanese restaurants and vietnamese are good options for the noodle Soups. I did a lot of Tomato Soup at first and I would do chicken meatballs in marinara without any Pasta. I now make the pasta and add ricotta and skim mozz for added Protein. Meat does not digest as easily and fills me a lot faster so I still have to be careful. We have better luck with Breakfast out since eggs are easy and lighter. Ijust hate the waste of $50 and still not really enjoying the experience of dining out. I do hope it returns as I do like to be able to enjoy the dining out experience.

I am 4 mos with GSV. I have lost about 40 lbs. I just bought 2 pairs of size 16 pants today-was hitting a big 20 before. Spicy I still have trouble with, at times - my palette has totally changed as well right after surgery I did not crave spicy-I did crave fatty but knew I couldn't eat it. Restaurants I get really frustrated because I want a drink and an app and an enntree-like I used to eat. I order a drink but then cannot finish it ever in the hour we are there. I really miss an app and a cocktail together. For apps, I can do potstickers (2 chewed very slow) and I know its not good, but I can have 1 sm eggroll. I had a crab cocktail for dinner one night, shrimp cocktail one time. Soup works, and even a small quesadilla is ok if its not too cheesy. I usually take about half my food home in a box so I usually get something that reheats well. I just had a piece of pizza first time yesterday and it really freaked my tummy out for like an hour-I think its all the dough. I do not eat much bread, no soda, no red meat, no full sugar juice-I Water down all juices and have not had any OJ yet. Frozen yogurt has become my guilty pleasure but I can't eat more than an ounce or two at a time and I usually go for the no sugar version. Noodles like a ramen (fresh) type is good and goes down easy so japanese restaurants and vietnamese are good options for the noodle Soups. I did a lot of Tomato Soup at first and I would do chicken meatballs in marinara without any Pasta. I now make the pasta and add ricotta and skim mozz for added Protein. Meat does not digest as easily and fills me a lot faster so I still have to be careful. We have better luck with breakfast out since eggs are easy and lighter. Ijust hate the waste of $50 and still not really enjoying the experience of dining out. I do hope it returns as I do like to be able to enjoy the dining out experience.

This was so great! Thank you so much! I am walking away with a lot of info!!!!! Yay!!! :). FYI I saw a great recipe the other day for faux pizza portobello mushroom with Tomato said and mozzarella on top also if you can take a thin fajita type wrap you can put tomato sauce on that and mozz it becomes really soft. :) thank you again!!!!

How much weight have you lost in 4 mo just curious? :)

I'm up to 75 pounds lost. :) or about 53% of my starting excess weight.

:)

I've never had anything get stuck. If you're following doctor's s plan, it shouldn't happen. The book I received from my doctor's office has instructions on what to do if it happens. I can post here if you'd like.

I've never had anything get stuck. If you're following doctor's s plan, it shouldn't happen.

Not true. It can happen if your following your doctors plan. It happens to many here.