Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Encouragement getting back on the wagon

I am stuck at 50lbs, and its not bad at all. However I have not been a saint per my instructions, but I do try. What did you do when you hit a plateau or felt yourself straying, need a re-kick or something. I have a male coworker who is 2 months ahead post surgery and he is rocking out and he is older! I gave him kudos yesterday and I probably will message him as well, but I am passed mushiness and Soups, and living in a I can get normal things down role, advice please some new habits you can share that I could try? What have you all that have been really successful past 5 months done, not just food...

I don't know if I would say I have been "really successful" -- but my weight loss has stayed steady since surgery in June and I have stayed on my doctor's plan 100%. For me the key has been weighing or measuring (weighing is better) everything I eat and then journaling it on myfitnesspal. When I see my goals for the day and how everything has been fitting in, it really helps me focus and see that my target should be "how well can I stay on track today?" not "how much weight can I lose this week?" or "I wonder if my sleeve likes pizza?" My program has very strict rules, so I just plug them in to myfitnesspal and tell myself I am succeeding every single day that I meet those rules, as well as the ones that don't fit into a "macro" category (no grains or refined sugar until goal, no snacking, etc.).

For dealing with the mental part of weight loss and staying on track, I really recommend The Beck Diet Solution:

http://www.amazon.com/Beck-Diet-Solution-Train-Person/dp/B002PJ4I2U/

Also, I just want to throw out there -- don't compare yourself to other people in terms of how much/how fast you lose weight! Some people are lucky, others not so much. You can only control what you put in your mouth, not how fast you lose. I notice you comparing yourself to a man, and that's especially dangerous. They tend to lose about twice as fast as us women, per my surgeon and dietician. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by weight loss rate/amount comparisons IMO. Just challenge yourself to follow your plan as best you can. If your surgeon didn't give you one, find one that you think is tough but fair and follow that. Good luck to you!

I have to second the notion on not comparing yourself to others, you are you and know what you need and want. I had my surgery done in June and needed to loose 250lbs at that time. So far today I've lost half that with 125 gone, which makes me feel great. I'm concentrating on the weight, others do inches, whatever works for you. I've stalled out a couple of times, usually because I changed something or another or I cheat and fall off the wagon. The sleeve works to help, but as said around here all the time, it is a tool you just have to learn how to use it. I'm a guy, and guys and gals are oh so different, when I stall out I hit back, walk more, lift more weights, hit the liquids harder and cut back on starches, not that I eat a lot of them to begin with. Part of this journey is learning how your body reacts to things, being aware of the consequences of your eating habits. You will know what you need to do, the will power to do it is sometimes the only issue, we all tend to fall off the wagon, you just got to climb back on. As said before, good luck to you and Go Sleeve!

Edited by Allan Cameron

Stock your house with healthy foods you enjoy. Track your Fluid and Protein intake. Limit treats to one or two days per week and measure them out before eating. Participate in the weight loss challenges. Current one is valentines day. Make a list of things you enjoy other than food and refer to it when head hunger hits. Buy yourself something fun that you couldn't wear before. Doesn't have to be expensive.

Lynds

I agree with the statements above...do NOT compare yourself to others. When you do, someone is going to walk away from that conversation unhappy.

With that said, to get back on track... Get back to basics.

Get your Protein in.

Get your fluids in.

Log your foods so you can confirm you're getting your Protein and liquids in.

Exercise - it's not only good for your body, it's good for your mind.

No snacking.

I have to second the notion on not comparing yourself to others, you are you and know what you need and want. I had my surgery done in June and needed to loose 250lbs at that time. So far today I've lost half that with 125 gone, which makes me feel great. I'm concentrating on the weight, others do inches, whatever works for you. I've stalled out a couple of times, usually because I changed something or another or I cheat and fall off the wagon. The sleeve works to help, but as said around here all the time, it is a tool you just have to learn how to use it. I'm a guy, and guys and gals are oh so different, when I stall out I hit back, walk more, lift more weights, hit the liquids harder and cut back on starches, not that I eat a lot of them to begin with. Part of this journey is learning how your body reacts to things, being aware of the consequences of your eating habits. You will know what you need to do, the will power to do it is sometimes the only issue, we all tend to fall off the wagon, you just got to climb back on. As said before, good luck to you and Go Sleeve!

What he said...very well, i might add...^^

Shel