Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Complete loss of appetite

I've had blessed moments of 'being uninterested' in food or eating.

Without trying to establish whether that is or isn't "a rule", I prefer to think that in our overall experience at trying to approximate what "Normos" do in their eating habits.....most of the ones I know have periodic moments of a few days without interest or hunger.

I view my own episodes, as being a sort of reset between what 'wanting to eat everything all the time' and actually learning what 'hunger' and 'appetite' really are.

My own notions are still being revised in this area, as the decades of abnormal eating behavior leave me wary of making generalizations.

I like to think that beyond the green zone, there is a GOLDEN zone, where we grasp a view of a new food-eating-lifestyle in just enough different a pattern, we don't recognize it or know what to do.

Regardless of those precious episodes where I didn't have hunger/appetite/motivation/interest in eating.....I didn't eat as it wasn't 'a problem'. Yes if it had continued days or weeks, THEN 'a problem'.....but my own periods were 3 or 4 days running, THEN appetite kicked in and overcame the intellectual aspects of 'what do I WANT' etc etc.

There have been times where I was tired of whatever my food was at the time....but after years on various food log programs, there are patterns which I stray from seasonally perhaps.

I consider 'not being hungry' or 'no appetite' sans symptoms of approaching illness, is *my* new normal.....but YMMV.

We just don't have to eat every day all the time, IMHO.

Ok I thought I had explained it well enough but I obviously haven't. I am a lap band veteran, I've had my band for a long time. and for me green zone means no appetite. I can eat fine, in fact yesterday I ate 2 cups of chicken and veggie stir fry for dinner, DESPITE not feeling like it. I'd like to know who out there that is 'too tight' can do that. I know what tight feels like, I'm not too tight. What I am, is uninterested in food. The band dims YOUR appetite, well it takes my appetite right away. Funny that it can be different for different people, huh?

I know I need to eat to fuel my body, in fact I have no interest in losing any more weight, I'd like to maintain actually. My doctor gave me a tiny fill because I was able to eat quite a lot, had hunger pretty consistently and had gained a little bit, but even that little fill pushed me into the zone of 'no appetite'.

I understand it's not what people typically feel, which is why I was looking for others like me. I want to hear about how people manage the 'flip side' of the band, the one that sometimes removes any desire for food, pretty instantly. And to be honest, it's quite a nice side effect, after struggling with hunger all my life (and the better part of the last 2 years with the leak). Yes I often forget to eat, especially in the last week since it's pretty 'new' to me again, but that's why I posted, to talk to others who experience the same side effect, to find out what strategies THEY use. How do THEY ensure they don't lose too much? How do THEY ensure that they eat well and remain healthy? How do I make sure I get enough in my system so that I can continue to lift weights and exercise to maintain the HEALTHY life I've adopted.

I know it doesn't make a lot of sense to many of you, after years of trying to lose but it's a legitimate question and I'm hoping people understand the context now. I am not anorexic, I don't want to be a size 0 again. I just want to live with my band, just like every else is trying to, so I was seeking support from others who are experiencing the same effects as me.

Edited by lellow

Whenever this comes up...I know that there are many people here that will just not get it....and never will....and perhaps refuse to....C'est la vie

In any event...It's 5 am...time to head to the gym....

I am not a veteran since I was only banded in September. However, the appetite issue fascinates me. I lost my physical hunger almost immediately. In no way am I too tight since I have yet to receive a fill. I constantly have to remind myself to eat. But, I do eat every day. I get in my Protein the doc and the nut want me to get. My doctor and my nut both are amazed and pleased with this part of my journey. We have strategies for me to continue to lose weight and eat enough each day. I don't worry myself too much if I skip a "meal" here and there over the course of a week. I've learned to down a Protein Shake here and there to up my protein for the day. When my doc or my nut become concerned, then I will. Until then, I just keep on keeping on. Each journey is unique and should be based on the relationship between the doc and the patient. But, I will admit it's nice to know others have similar experiences.

This is definitely an interesting topic for me. I had lap band with plication back in september and i have yet to have had a fill....guessing because of the added plication. I get hungry, not enough to have a fill, but also dont have the same desire to eat or cravings I once did. And since I havent had a fill yet, am I or will I ever be in the desired green zone....i wonder about this often. The weight is coming off and my doctor is pleased so I guess all is okay for now!

Thanks for sharing your experiences veterans and not-yet veterans! :D

This is definitely an interesting topic for me. I had lap band with plication back in september and i have yet to have had a fill....guessing because of the added plication. I get hungry, not enough to have a fill, but also dont have the same desire to eat or cravings I once did. And since I havent had a fill yet, am I or will I ever be in the desired green zone....i wonder about this often. The weight is coming off and my doctor is pleased so I guess all is okay for now! Thanks for sharing your experiences veterans and not-yet veterans! :D

i had band and plication too. I know what you're talking about. I lost steady for 3 months before I finally got my first fill. I believe I could have done without the fills, but it would have been slower. I never experienced bandster hell as some talk about here.

I am just getting returned hunger now 6 months out so I will be going for a fill but the first six months I had a complete absence of hunger and had to remember and sometimes force myself to eat as I had zero interest in food my family eating my favourite foods didnt have me so much as take a sniff , I think for some of us thats just what the band does

I don't as much get hungry as I get hypoglycemic

For me when I had my band placed and plication surgery it did nothing to stem my hunger. 4 days after surgery I was starving and had to have my husband stop watching TV with commercials as I thought I could smell the pizza and hot wings through the TV and we were on liquids only!

My husband on the other hand, had NO desire for food. Not to look at it or think about it. His appetite before surgery was enormous compared to mine and here we were post op and the opposite was true.

As we have progressed through our journey I have had a few more fills then he has needed and our weight loss has been pretty much the same rate of loss.

As of this last fill I believe I am "finally" in the green zone, though I am filled to nearly 7.5 in a 10CC band. I say that I believe I am in the green zone now finally because as of this fill I no longer have that feeling of "hunger".

There are times when I simply do not have the need or want to eat. I did not have that before I would always have a "need" to want to eat about 2 hours after having my last bite of something. Now when I eat I am satisfied on a small portion and I can walk away, again something that till now I did not have.

There are days when I am "very" hungry and my body tells me that it's hungry and needs fuel, not my brain. In this I mean that I will start to feel weak or have a headache and I know that I have not given my body what it needs to function as it should. The signs are very subtle, I'm not starving myself when I can I make sure to eat those 3 meals a day to get the nutrition and Protein in.

Today is a great example...I was not "hungry" for lunch. I didn't want to get up and go get it and eat it. As I sat here working my head started to pulse and a headache was brewing. So I got up and went to the cafe, got a cup of turkey and black bean chilli and now I feel great!

My body was needing something, and to sit and not feed it would be to suffer the consequences of what could become a very real Migraine in a matter of minutes. So I listen to all the signals my body puts out, and when it comes to eating I give it the best most nutritious choice I can make and keep the portion under control.

To me that's what living in the Green Zone feels like....

I've always gone in and out of phases of being hungry, even before I first got my band. Unfortunately, I believe a big part of that stems from the fact that before getting my surgery done I was a massive under-eater, so some days I tend to slip into that mind frame and end up having to force myself to eat something just to get all 3 meals in. My surgeons & doctors believe I'm at the perfect spot for me in terms of fills and what not, and also believe it's more so to do with my mind frame other than being over filled so I know I'm not just crazy thinking that when those days hit me.

I haven't had an appetite in well over a year. There were days at work where I would have to set a reminder to have my lunch to I make sure I got in my nutrition. For the longest time I was trying to figure out if my loss of appetite was really my band or just my mind accepting the new lifestyle change. I guess in the end they go hand and hand and instead of over analyzing it I will just sit back and enjoy the ride. After so many years of binge eating and now no interest in food at all it was somewhat confusing. I had to make sure that while it's OK not be hungry or be interested in food it is still very important to get in that nutrition and not skip meals. I have no desire to exchange one eating disorder for another.

Since my third fill I haven't felt hungry either. I just don't think about food. I don't feel like I'm being un-healthy. I eat appropriate meals. To me its just nice not to obsess about food. I also think this topic should fall under the "everyone's experience is different' category. Now, if someone is talking about having anorexic tendencies I could understand why people would be concerned; but otherwise, I feel like my band is working wonderfully for me and I'm happy with my results.

I actually went and got 0.1cc of the 0.2cc out yesterday. I talked to my doctor and she said maybe I only needed a smaller fill after all. So we took it out.

So right now I'm 0.1cc up from where I *WAS* feeling hunger, and nope, no difference. Still no appetite, still no interest in food. So I've decided to keep this itty bitty 0.1cc and just set alarms to eat. It's how it works for me. It's not a bad thing as long as I manage it. :)

lellow, good to see you again

hope you are well :)

take care my love

I actually went and got 0.1cc of the 0.2cc out yesterday. I talked to my doctor and she said maybe I only needed a smaller fill after all. So we took it out.

So right now I'm 0.1cc up from where I *WAS* feeling hunger, and nope, no difference. Still no appetite, still no interest in food. So I've decided to keep this itty bitty 0.1cc and just set alarms to eat. It's how it works for me. It's not a bad thing as long as I manage it. :)

CG my dearest! Thank you, good to see you too, lovely lady.

I'm slowly trying to get back up to speed again after a few (unrelated) health issues. I hope it means that I will be kicking butts and taking names again soon! xx