Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I get motivated during this LOOOOONG wait?

I'm really frustrated with the long wait ahead of me, and the NP tells me to start working on weight loss now, even though my surgery isn't likely to get slated until June sometime if I'm lucky. (It was supposed to be May, but the psychologist is way overbooked.) Trouble is, it's like there's no end in sight here, and just to start working on it I know if i'm successful i'll hear how I don't "need" the surgery to lose weight, or afraid my BMI will drop below the standard needed and I'll have to reapply and this time get denied. I'm wanting to lose - but it's really hard to get motivated to think of this as my first step when the next ones aren't even on any trajectory. Help! I feel like i'm stuck in an endless holding pattern.

This site helped my immensely during my wait. Read and absorb all the information you can from the BTDT vets on here. Also, looking at before and after pictures on the web.

With my insurance, once you're approved for the Bariatric program they use the weight that qualified you. So if you lost weight during the course of the program it would not disqualify you.

Also looking at videos on YT.

Blondiee is right. I just started as well. I had my first nutrition class in January and my second one is coming up in February. I don't reply to much but the information in this forum is just great. It has helped me move on a little it further. After February I have one more nutrition class and I hope to have my gastric bypass sometime in April. I also had a concern about my weight and I was told by my insurance adjuster that they do stick with the weight I started with. Though I am not doing anything drastic to drop a whole lot of weight but I am getting my body ready fro the surgery! Good luck, this too will pass!

I started my process in June of 2012 and had surgery in December 2012. I had planned on a 6 month wait, and decided to joined weight watchers for the last time. I wound up losing almost 60 lbs. It kept me accountable and motivated me to lose as much as I could before surgery. Research and learn as much as you can, start your good habits now.

Potentially we can all lose the weight, it's keeping it off long term that has evaded me. Until now, I hope. Take this time for the opportunity it is. It will go fast. The only one you have to convince of anything is yourself. If you feel you can do it on your own. More power to you! Only you know if moving forward with surgery is best.

Don't let what others may or may not think stop you from starting to do your best now.

Good luck!!

My insurance required a six month managed plan. I had to show weight loss, but not a specific amount. At times the time seemed long, but I in looking back I am glad I did it.

I would tell you to use the time wisely. I experimented with Protein shakes and foods that would help me after the surgery. I also started tracking, developing an exercise program and some routines that would help post op. I was able to lose 40 pounds before the surgery and 37 since December 23. So I am very happy with the 77 pound weight loss. I think the preparation, listening to the forum and developing some routines have made it easier post surgery to do what I need to be successful.

My surgeon and the insurance company were very happy with my pre surgery weight loss. I was told it showed commitment to both the surgeon and insurance.

One piece of advice I would give is to develop a cardio exercise routine to help get your heart and lungs in the best shape possible before surgery. This was advice I received early from my surgeon and turned out to be prophetic.

I can't thank you all enough! Wow - I feel so much more hopeful and like I have a plan to develop now. I hadn't thought of it in the way you all are saying you heard from your docs and from your own experiences. I read these boards a lot but rarely comment, cine I'm not even yet scheduled for my sleeve, but I am approved by insurance.

I even ordered a handful of Protein shake mixes, but haven't tried any yet thinking it was too far ahead. I think i'll start crafting a plan now to lose some weight and use one shake a day, so i can try them and reorder what i want.

I'm especially appreciative of the advice everyone, and will also get rolling on the cardio again. I was doing regular hikes last summer in prep for a backpack trip (depressing how little ground I could cover!) but am ready to restart. Thank you, thank you!

Same as Blondiee, my program used the starting weight for submission. Now that I am out of the liquid diet and post-op, my Nutritionist advised me to hold the Protein shakes to one a day and try to get the rest of my Protein from real food. Once you consume your protein first at each meal, there is little, if no room left for anything else. Fair warning........When you consume Protein Shakes and are eating less Fiber from fruits and veggies, take preventative measures against Constipation.< /p>

Good luck with your program.

Same as Blondiee, my program used the starting weight for submission. Now that I am out of the liquid diet and post-op, my Nutritionist advised me to hold the Protein shakes to one a day and try to get the rest of my Protein from real food. Once you consume your protein first at each meal, there is little, if no room left for anything else. Fair warning........When you consume Protein Shakes and are eating less Fiber from fruits and veggies, take preventative measures against Constipation.< /p>

Good luck with your program.

Indeed!!! I have been using MoM and Colace for the constipation. I'm looking into trying a Pro-biotic as well.

Edited to add- I HATE MoM but when you need relief...you'll do what's necessary.

Edited by Blondiee