Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a relunctant PCP, how can I convince her?

I need some advice on how to approach this with my pcp. I was hoping to avoid getting her involved, as I think it will be hard to get her to "sign off' on this surgery for me.

I have an appointment with her at the end of the week, anyone have some suggestions as to what I could say to her sway her decision?

She's seen my attempts, and all the failures, I am just mentally tired of fighting this battle...I am not looking forward to talking with her about it again...I hope it goes well.

I need some advice on how to approach this with my pcp. I was hoping to avoid getting her involved, as I think it will be hard to get her to "sign off' on this surgery for me.

I have an appointment with her at the end of the week, anyone have some suggestions as to what I could say to her sway her decision?

She's seen my attempts, and all the failures, I am just mentally tired of fighting this battle...I am not looking forward to talking with her about it again...I hope it goes well.

Doctors are our employees, not our guardians. Get another doctor. If you have a weight situation where you would qualify for a lap band, any doctor who stands in the way is a serious risk to your health.

Hi, Annie, you say that your PCP is reluctant, but it sounds like you haven't even discussed Lapband with her, only your other weight loss attempts. Have you discussed it with her? And if you have, what are her arguments against it? As soon as I mentioned it to my PCP, he was right on board with it, and was very encouraging. However, I didn't need his blessings to have the surgery. Does your insurance require it?

I too, was reluctant to involve my PCP, but had to due to insurance requirements. We've talked about my weight for years, and had a conversation about 18 months ago regarding surgery (just a general conversation, not specific about me) and she really came off as against it. Well, in January when I'd decided enough was enough, I went and saw her (expecting to really have to debate the issue) and she was 110% supportive of me, after seeing me struggle for years. So you never know!

Hi, Annie, you say that your PCP is reluctant, but it sounds like you haven't even discussed Lapband with her, only your other weight loss attempts. Have you discussed it with her? And if you have, what are her arguments against it? As soon as I mentioned it to my PCP, he was right on board with it, and was very encouraging. However, I didn't need his blessings to have the surgery. Does your insurance require it?

I have talked with her in the past, nothing too specific, just briefly touched on it, and judging from her reaction she seemed against it.

I am hoping to have enough info for her, if she has questions, and hopefully she will sign off without much of an argument. Who knows, I could be wrong, perhaps she'll be ok with it. I just would like some good advice on how to get my point across to her if she seems unwilling.

I would say something like this: You've thought about it a lot, and you would like to appoint her as Godparent for your children, since you are certain now to pass to your reward much sooner, now that she has rejected your request to support the lap band surgery.

My previous doctor told me that if I was banded she would no longer care for me. Notice I said previous doctor. I went to a support group for weight loss surgery and ask for reccomendations for supportive doctors, I left with the name of at least 10 docs that would take care of me and also had some experience with WLS. My doctor is always happy to make sure any pills he prescribes are small enough, crushable or he writes for liquids. He also has my weight, BMI and measurments in my chart. He called the weight loss surgeon and asked for copies of my labs to be forwarded to him so they can work together and not have to repeat any blood work. My previous doctor had nothing noted in my chart for weight, blood pressure, weight related issues or my past diet attempts. She never mentioned my cholestrol levels, except when labs were drawn. She denied giving me a low fat low cholestrol diet to follow, until I faxed her a copy of the diet on her letter head. Make sure you have a good PCP in your corner, they can make the journey so much easier. ~Mandy

ANNIE, Also tell your pcp that this is just a tool to help you, not the total answer!!! It really makes me question your relationship, they are people too, and if they seem otherwise, well you deserve BETTER !!! You Go Girl.

Thanks everyone for your input! You all have good points, and I appreciate the fact you took time to answer! It's nice to have everyone here to bounce things off of...

My appointment is Thursday, I'll keep you posted!

I'd do what I did w/mine, she knows what I've went thru w/weight loss, and I told her the truth, I've run out of options, period. My Dr. weighs about 20 pounds, so she'd never fully understand, but that may be used a point too.

Well, I DID IT! I had my appointment with my doc today and she approved of it! I was all worried for nothing.

I was so nervous when I got there, I had a speech all planned, and I didn't have to sell it! LOL!

She walked in the room after reading my chart, and said "so you're really going to do this?!" We had a really great talk about it, and I got my labs and EKG done....as I left, she said, just let me know what all you need from me, and I'll be happy to help.

WOW! I'm so excited! Next step...insurance approval. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

WHOOHOO!!! I can't wait!

Great news! I'm glad to hear it.

But frankly, I'd go in there and give the speech anyway. You've got it ready to go, may as well let 'er rip! :welldoneclap:

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!! I'm glad your doc was so supportive. I think a lot of times, we get a pre-conceived notion in our minds, and then blow it way out of proportion, and end up expecting the worst case scenario, and really, it was all for nothing....

You're right Travel girl...I tend to always think the worst!

I'll try to think positively about the ins approval!

Thanks everyone for your posts!

My PCP wasn't supportive either. So, I called the Bariatric Center on my own and just let them send the paperwork to my PCP who signed off no problem. Maybe they realized I was serious when I took the initiative to get the ball rolling on my own?

At any rate, I'm glad the same worked out for you too! Good luck on your journey!