Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No drain tube after VSG?

So I have been looking into surgeons in Mexico and some here in the US. I have been researching for a while now and even had a full bariatric work-up (up to pre-surgery visit) before learning my insurance has an exclusion. My sis had the sleeve in the US and her surgeon had her drain tube left in for a full week (just to be extra safe, he said).

I consulted over the phone with a surgeon's staff in Texas (Dr. Stowers?) today and was told he doesn't keep a drain tube in AT ALL. I was perplexed and told the office rep that I have not heard of any surgeons not leaving it in AT THE VERY LEAST for the duration of the hospital stay. I was told that it is just a one night hospital stay...I was also told that if I have a hiatal hernia (which 90% of patients have) that, since I have insurance, the cost would be lower.

I seem to have some red flags in my head going off, so obviously I don't think he's the surgeon for me.

Has anyone here experienced this response regarding the drain tube?

I appreciate your responses.

I didn't have a drain tube and only a one night stay.

Having it done in New York. No drains at all post-op. Two night stay and they check for leak right in the OR during surgery so you can start having clears when you are fully recovered from anesthesia. :D

I didn't have a drain tube at all and I was in the hospital for 3 days.

I just had my surgery today and am in recovery. I have no drain tube either, some surgeons simply don't use them. I also had a hiatal hernia repaired this morning, which I was unaware of preop.

My wife also recently had a bypass from the same surgeon and no drain tube was used either. She has had no ill effects.

I had no drain tube and stayed one night in the hospital.

No drain tube here, thank goodness...and i was in for 4 days....

Sheldon

I had my surgery on an outpatient basis - in admitting at 6:00 home by noon the same day.

I didn't have a drain.

Doc fixed a hernia - he didn't charge me more, it was a "courtesy" for him to repair it while he was in there. He wouldn't have given me a discount if there hadn't been a hernia.

I was done in Texas. No drain and I went home the same day.

Oh wow. Thanks for the responses...and so quickly.

I really didn't realize it was so commonplace to NOT have a drain tube. Seems as if every bit of research I have done, there have been drain tubes involved. I guess it does depend on the surgeon. My sis had one for a week (and the doc said it was a precaution and 'better safe than sorry'). Her husband helped her for a week draining the tube and she said it was gross. Is it safer to have the drain? I mean, I understand the reasoning behind it but I would think that bacteria getting in it may be an issue (but I'm not a medical professional either).

Again, thanks!

Oh wow. Thanks for the responses...and so quickly. I really didn't realize it was so commonplace to NOT have a drain tube. Seems as if every bit of research I have done, there have been drain tubes involved. I guess it does depend on the surgeon. My sis had one for a week (and the doc said it was a precaution and 'better safe than sorry'). Her husband helped her for a week draining the tube and she said it was gross. Is it safer to have the drain? I mean, I understand the reasoning behind it but I would think that bacteria getting in it may be an issue (but I'm not a medical professional either). Again, thanks!

As a nurse, a drain is a source of infection so if you don't need it don't get it.

I didn´t have a drain either, stayed 2 nights in the hospital, the leak test was done during surgery (just like sassyrn said!). I´m a little over 4 months out and have had no complications whatsoever! Lost 37 lbs prior to surgery and have lost another 46 lbs since the surgery. Not that much left before I´m done! Good luck with your journey!

No drain, 1-night stay. I think it's odd that a surgeon would never (or always) use a drain. Seems to me more logical to have that be a case-by-case decision. But then I'm a nurse, not a surgeon.