Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No drain tube after VSG?

Oh wow. Thanks for the responses...and so quickly.

I really didn't realize it was so commonplace to NOT have a drain tube. Seems as if every bit of research I have done, there have been drain tubes involved. I guess it does depend on the surgeon. My sis had one for a week (and the doc said it was a precaution and 'better safe than sorry'). Her husband helped her for a week draining the tube and she said it was gross. Is it safer to have the drain? I mean, I understand the reasoning behind it but I would think that bacteria getting in it may be an issue (but I'm not a medical professional either).

Again, thanks!

Hi,

I had a drain in the hospital, and a week after I was discharged from the hospital. I was miserable. When my insurance case manager called to check on me (a few days after I had the tube removed). I told him about the pain I was in when I had the drain, and how I felt 80% better with it out. His response was "when I saw you in the hospital I was not aware you even had a drain". Oooook. I asked him to check into why some surgeons decide to have the drain and others don't. He said he would follow up for me. Personally I sure would have preferred to not have that bulb hanging from my side for a week :blush: . Congratulations on your upcoming surgery.

If you can get it done without drain tube do it. The d r ain was the source of my pain for two nights and when they pulled it out I thought I was going to jump off the bed. Definitely the most painful part of the whole experience.

OMG! I had the same experience. I had mine in for a week, and while everyone was saying they had no pain when they had their drain in, I was in serious pain because of the drain. It actually filled up during the night! I was in so much pain that two percocet couldn't cure it. I waited until my doctors office opened and they removed it. Whoever says that thing doesn't hurt when it's removed must be on some serious sh#$! I almost jumped out of my skin when the doctor pulled it out. I know I screamed, good thing the waiting room was empty. I'm pretty sure people would have run off! :angry:

My VSG was done outpatient. I had the J-P drain for one week. [J-P is for Jackson-Pratt drain.] it does not hurt when removed.

Im glad yours didnt hurt but mine cause contant discomfort and hurt like hell when removed. So please be acurate, didn't hurt you.

Agreed! I thought I was having organs removed at the same time they pulled out my drain!!!

Sleeved by a VERY conservative surgeon. No Drain tube. 2 night stay was planned. I stayed 6 nights due to a cardiac issue.

NOT a surgical issue.

Drain tube generally used, but not everybody use a drain tube. It feels a little bit uncomfortable and strange, but no feeling of pain. You can clear your thoughts about it.

Drain tube generally used, but not everybody use a drain tube. It feels a little bit uncomfortable and strange, but no feeling of pain. You can clear your thoughts about it.

Even though she is not getting a drain it would probably best to state that YOU did not have pain. Some people are not that LUCKY. Everyone is different. I'm just saying.

I know several doctors that have a lower price for self-pay VSG if they are already going in to fix a hiatal hernia. As a matter of fact, a little over a yr ago, when I was thinking I was going to be self-pay, every single dr I talked to lowered the price Bc insurance was paying for hiatal hernia repair.

April

I too had no drains, I was his last surgery of the day(2pm) and by 11am the next day they said I was ready for discharge, but since I paid cashed I opted to stay the second night since I paid for it anyway!! I had a leak test in surgery and one the next day in radiology! I'm glad I stayed two nights, the difference in how I felt day 2 was amazing! Plus their halls are muuuuch longer than mine so my mucho walking was a but more exciting!

I didn't have a drain. Just a 2 night stay at hospital.

Two nights; no drain. Leak test at the end of surgery. I really don't think surgeons are "saying" you have a hiatal hernia when you don't. At least Aetna will not pay more for the hernia repair, but as someone else said, my surgeon corrected it anyhow. I knew I had it from pre op testing. If you want to go to Texas, BMI in San Antonio has great surgeons! Mine was Dr. Seger; Dr Duperier also is. "Top Doc". And, as a side benefit, both are very attractive and have super bedside manner. At least that was my experience.

Done in Maine. No drain tube for me. A 2 night hospital stay is required. I was in for 3 nights.

No drain. 1 night stay (though I could have stayed two) and I had a hiatal hernia repaired.

Re the hernia...insurance will cover hiatal hernia repair even when they won't cover wls, so a lot of the expense then can be covered by them because it is covered as hiatal hernia repair.

For me it was a moot point because my insurance paid for the wls

Same for me.

Done at Kaiser! No drains! 1 night stay! Perfect recovery!