Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restriction......?

Lately I have been seeing many posts people stating they need more restriction....

I'm being general here, and wonder if people know what they are asking for? Or at least, exactly what it is they're hoping for?

What is restriction supposed to feel like? How do you know you have enough,the right amount or too much?

I'm just rambling...I see many posts, and it makes me wonder some times.

Yes, kimk1999, that is what you are looking for, but I am not sure that others realize the same thing. I think some folks are looking for a hand to come out and say STOP! My son-in-law has finlly gotten restriction enough that 3 bites of sandwich is all he can take. Well, guess what, s-i-l, I haven't had a full sAndwich in 4 years. I have shared a "Subway" sandwich with my hubby, by cutting a 6inch in 4's and eating one. He is really losing now, with his "restriction". Best wishes, anD watch out for head hunger, too! Karen..aka.kll724

Lately I have been seeing many posts people stating they need more restriction....

I'm being general here, and wonder if people know what they are asking for? Or at least, exactly what it is they're hoping for?

What is restriction supposed to feel like? How do you know you have enough,the right amount or too much?

I'm just rambling...I see many posts, and it makes me wonder some times.

I NEEDED my band to provide the restriction to PREVENT me from eating so much....and it does, now.

I see people saying their band does different things to help them, be it diminishing hunger, eliminating hunger, providing satiety, whatever you may call it. I ate too much... and exercised too little. For me....It is about restriction, proof being in my doctors notes from when my band had come unsnapped....

post-56581-0-57658700-1390944957_thumb.png

I could never do this long term without proper restriction. And for me, that means limiting how much I eat at a given time.

I think people think of restriction as the band physically stopping them from eating. It just doesn't work that way. As said above, it's about feeling satisfied on a smaller amount of food. It's not going to (and shouldn't) stop you from eating Cookies, and ice cream...but just because you can eat them all day long, doesn't mean you should!

I NEEDED my band to provide the restriction to PREVENT me from eating so much....and it does, now.

I see people saying their band does different things to help them, be it diminishing hunger, eliminating hunger, providing satiety, whatever you may call it. I ate too much... and exercised too little. For me....It is about restriction, proof being in my doctors notes from when my band had come unsnapped....

I could never do this long term without proper restriction. And for me, that means limiting how much I eat at a given time.

Wow!

I think people think of restriction as the band physically stopping them from eating. It just doesn't work that way. As said above, it's about feeling satisfied on a smaller amount of food. It's not going to (and shouldn't) stop you from eating Cookies, and ice cream...but just because you can eat them all day long, doesn't mean you should!

Well, see the band is different to different people...because it does stop me from eating...at least it stops me from overeating I should say......it is physically impossible...and I've tried...

Like Catfish said...my problem has always been that I ate too much...could not stop...and I loved it..

I could eat an entire large pizza, with toppings all by myself, along with a few beers...NOW I cannot get through a single slice..so I gave it up entirely....

It does limit the amount of food I eat....

But is it restriction doing it? Or is the band, properly restricted, telling my brain I cannot eat...I know I walk around all day, with my brain telling me I'm full, I don't need to eat, therefore I have no desire or interest in eating...even though I have hardly eaten anything at all....

Example...today I had to go to work early, so no gym....all I had to eat all day was my Breakfast smoothie...at 5pm I went to the gym, ran 5 miles...STILL had nothing to eat all day...came home and FORCED myself to eat 5-6 chicken wings, and some veggies...but I was not hungry....and I still am not...it can go 24/7 for me...

Now that is Mental, brought around by restriction....not a physical restriction....I had to overcome my brain telling me I did not have to, or want to eat....because I am full, without actually feeling full....

Sounds like physco-babble I know, but there is no way to explain it...

Edited by B-52

I had a fill last week and I can tell that the amount of food I can eat is smaller but I need more than that from my band. Right now I can take big normal bites and eat any type of food...I need that feeling of restriction that makes me have to take small bites and my brain knows that bread and such will simply not go down. Is it weird that I want a bit of a struggle to get the food down? I'm not talking about being too tight but I need more than just being full when I eat. I've been at that point before and I didn't have to worry about tracking and measuring...my band did it for me. Anybody else understand what I'm talking about?

@ B-52 I could only wish to be where you are right now. The feeling you have with the band is what I am looking for. I know everyone is different but can you tell me how many ccs are in your band?

For me I can go 5 to 6 hours if needed on a cup - cup and half of food. I don't recommend going that long between meals but it tends to happen from time to time. I do not snack in between meals and head hunger is something of the past. I've heard others like myself no longer had the head hunger once properly adjusted and then I heard others state they've never been able to shake the head hunger. I don't know which is more responsible my band or my will power. I really like to think it is the band because it has been pretty easy to this point since finding the green zone. I had my last fill 1 year ago yesterday and I feel great.

I highly recommend this article to anyone wanting to learn more about the band. It is all laid out in layman's terms.

http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

I highly recommend this article to anyone wanting to learn more about the band. It is all laid out in layman's terms.

http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

Very helpful..... Thanks!