Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The sleeve has made me a snacker.

Before surgery, I was not a snacker at all. I ate very large, filling meals and didn't really get hungry again until it was the next meal time. Now, no matter WHAT I eat, I can guarantee I will be hungry again within an hour and a half to two hours. I've built Snacks in so that I'm not gaining because of them, but boy, it is really annoying being hungry so often. I literally feel like I eat all day long. And I guess I kind of do! The sad thing is, I could eat way more snacks than I currently allow. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, snack, dinner, snack. Omg! I'm maintaining at a minimum of 1600 calories a day, so I have room in my calories to have these little snacks, but I'm terrified one day I'm going to wake up and this is no longer going to work for me. That I will wake up and these snacks are suddenly way too much and I gain 50 lbs! This is completely irrational, but being hungry so soon/often after eating is pretty worrying. I hope in time I get more accustomed to it. Dense Protein does not seem to phase this. I can eat dense protein for a meal and get full, but I will certainly be hungry again in at least two hours. Anyone else dealing with this? Or can someone who is also like this reassure me that it's ok to have these snacks? I hear so often that snacking is where most people fail at after surgery. I thought how I was before surgery would fall over to how I am after surgery (not a snacker), but the opposite has occurred.

Is it possible you have acid tummy? It feels just like hunger and is abated by eating.

I lost weight and continue to maintain by eating all day every day. Like you, I am always hungry. I never lost hunger, even immediately after surgery. I am almost two years out, and frequent snacking is my way of life. I don't worry about it. It has worked for me so far.

I have never had an acid issue, as far as I know. In fact I wouldn't even know how to describe acid reflux. I just don't think I have ever had that feeling. Maybe I should try an acid blocker anyway? I did try one once before and noticed no difference at all. What is something others take?

It does make me feel a little better hearing someone else is also hungry all the time and snacking is such a big part of their day. I just hope this doesn't backfire on me...

You can have an acidy tummy without reflux. It is a very subtle thing if you have a mild case. You might consider taking proselec for say two weeks and see if it reduces that "constant hunger"

I had this problem when I was banded. I had actual reflux at times, but other times I just had this uncomfortable hunger feeling and often self medicated with eating throughout the day. I gravitated toward soothing foods too which later was a clue for me that it was related to the excess acid. Anyway, consider trying it to see if it makes a difference.

I read a 2012 Bariatric Times article that gave me some insight on this. The article said that "an increasing number of studies have shown that gastric emptying after LSG (laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy) is accelerated by as much as two-fold." I have to eat similarly frequently, and it's not acid - I take 30mg Prevacid twice daily. I would probably try an acid blocker in your situation since it is such a common sleeve issue, but you are not alone! I think for those who don't experience hunger, the rapid gastric emptying isn't noticeable - but for someone like me who never lost my hunger, it's a problem!

Edited by It's all new

It might also be worth a good look at your Protein sources in your meals. I found that I had to give up on things like cottage cheese and yogurt as my Proteins at meals because it wouldn't hold me for very long. Ditto with Protein Bars, even ones with better stats like Quest bars. I need something solid - a hard boiled egg, taco meat, grilled chicken, etc.

I often feel like I'm hungry between meals, and it certainly FEELS like real hunger, but if I'm extremely busy at work, or out running around on the weekend, I don't feel the need for a snack at all, which tells me the in-between-meals "hunger" for me is definitely in my head. But that's just me.

I eat a snack between each meal. I plan them into my day so I don't worry abut it. Gives me a chance to get a little extra Protein and veggies. Like EscapePod, if I am busy I skip them, but most days I do eat them.

So maybe for breakfast I have a slice or whole wheat toast and 2 oz. of ham. Then later I have greek yogurt with blueberries. For lunch, I have 1/2 cup sweet potato and 2 oz. of turkey breast and about 1/4 cup raw veggies. Later I have lowfat cheese and whole grain crackers. For dinner, I have 3 oz. steak, 1/2 c. brown rice, and 1/4 cup brocolli, stir fried with a little teriaki sauce. Before bed, I have 2 graham crackers with Peanut Butter and a glass of soy milk. Then a few days a week, I have extra treats, such as a couple of cocktails, cake or candy or a higher calorie meal with a fattier Protein and sauce.

Lynda

I eat 5 to 6 "meals" per day. I think it is a great way to eat. I never feel deprived because since I eat small amounts I know I will eat again in 2 to 3 hours so I will get to enjoy something then.

I have my coffee with Protein powder for breakfast

snack - usually a Quest bar or an 2 ounces cold cuts or beef Jerky

lunch - Protein leftovers from dinner the night before or cold cuts, low carb tortilla with cheese, Greek yogurt with 1/4 shredded wheat biscuit, cheese and turkey pepperoni

Snack - same as morning snack choices - if I make some type of low carb/high protein treat I may have that.

dinner - whatever protein the family is having and vegetable

Snack - usually a Greek yogurt, Quest bar or something sweet that is low carb/high protein (that fits my macros for the day)

I usually eat about 1,200 calories per day and hope to get up to about 1,500 per day - am either at maintenance or losing slowly (a couple pounds per month) I think eating small high protein meals is good and doable and as long as you aren't gaining, don't stress! If you start gaining then you need to re-evaluate your eating plan.

I eat all day long also. . But then I did before too. The difference is I dont snack on crap food. I try to have only good things around or at least low fructose fruit

I snack too, 3 meals, two Snacks and a desert/snack. I am in maintenance now. Gotta just find what works. I just make sure I write it all down and keep track.

I wonder about your fluids? Do you notice your hunger is impacted by how much Water you're drinking?

I thought I was the only one! I was honestly feeling so guilty about all my snacking. I eat several times a day. I can't seem to go without it. I will try taking an acid reducer and try some of the other suggestions. Thanks for this post.

To be sure the snacking doesn't become a problem be sure to weigh yourself. Expect to be in a certain bounce range. Once you've gone beyond that look out for gain. Hard to tell the difference between real hunger and head hunger. Try to switch one snack with hot tea. That soothes my head hunger.

I never lost my hunger at all, which was sort of disappointing, but now I'm glad -- it's good to know when I'm really hungry vs just having head hunger. I used to be on three meals and three Snacks per day -- but now I'm on max three meals (two on 5:2 fasting days). I do get hungry between meals sometimes, but if you just ignore it for a few minutes, it goes away...or at least becomes less prevalent/in your face. I have found that low-carb/paleo eating combined with intermittent fasting (5:2 in my case) has done a lot to curb my hunger.

But yeah, if it's not acid, then it's good old willpower and distraction that are the best tools! :-)