Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved on the 14th - The Good, the Bad but the Truth

Hi! I was sleeve 1/14/14. I am 100lbs over weight but had lost 23lbs by the day of surgery. As of today, I am down 39lbs. The day before surgery, I almost changed my mind and right up until they put me under I was still having serious doubts about what I had decided to do to my body. Let me first say that the liquid diet my doctor put me on for 10 days was nothing compared to the surgery. I thank God that I requested to speak with someone who had also been sleeved and she told me things that the doctor and his staff did not. To begin with, that I would have to get out of bed 2 hours after surgery and drink some awful liquid for x-rays to check for leaks. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful that precautions such as this were taken but it was TOUGH! I have never felt so sick in my life and I have had major surgery before (brain tumor, 3 C-sections, hysterectomy and 2 hernia repair to name a few). Please don't be afraid to ask for something to stop the nausea even if you don't have it. My next complaint was pain control. After leaving the recovery room, it took the nursing staff over an hour to administer ANY PAIN MEDICINE. There was a break down in communication between the recovery room and the surgical floor. I also had an adverse side effect to the anesthesia and it took two days for me to fully come to my senses. In addition to this, I had an adverse side effect to the pain medicine and my heart rate/blood pressure/respirations dropped drastically and I had awful body tremors. Well, I had to stay an extra night and coming home was tough also. I could not get comfortable in any position on the bed so I slept in the recliner (what little I slept). Once home, it was almost impossible for me to sleep. No clue as to why. Another tid bit that someone on here told me, Do NOT trust a fart! Believe me when I say that is so true. Just think that the walk to the restroom is exercise and you will be doing a lot of that. Going to the bathroom!! I have also saw on here that several people state that they don't think they are sleeved. I am SLEEVED! It is hard to eat period. I feel full after three small teaspoons of anything. It is hard to get fluids down also but I am managing about 50 ounces a day. The other thing that I was not aware of is the fact that you will be extremely tired. I have NO energy. NONE. I just want to hang my head and close my eyes. It was bad the first week out from surgery. At that time, I didn't even want to talk. It took too much energy to carry on a conversation. I talk now but very little. Today is my first day back at work and I am now wondering how long I can make it. I have just been here two hours. On top of all this, I have had an allergic reaction to the surgi-strips. My incisions are broke out in a raised, itchy rash that is uncomfortable.

Would I do this again? Too early for me to say. My suggestion for you is to talk, talk, and talk some more to people that have had it done. I did this for health reasons and family history of heart attacks, strokes, and obesity. Don't go into this thinking it is a miracle cure. Don't go into this thinking that the surgery will do all the work for you. Don't go into this expecting it to be easy, complication free, or worry free. Also, don't let my experience scare you. Like anything good, it takes time so I am biding my time until I feel better. Best of luck to all of you!

Wow, Thankfully no "major" complications, but man, you got the mother load of all the other things that can happen. I'm sorry your recovery was not smooth, but congratulations on your surgery.

You do a lot of folks pre-op a big favor by listing the things that can happen, so the are not blind-sided. I was fortunate. I had almost no discomfort and no adverse reactions after surgery. I did initially go in for the sleeve and Gall bladder surgery, but half way through my heart rate shot up and they had to stop. The best they know it was a reaction to the anesthesia & anxiety triggered it. When I went back in for my sleeve a month later, they knew what to do to keep it from happening. I had no surgical history, so no way of knowing.
Other than that, nothing but a super smooth recovery. It will get better every day. Thanks for sharing. YOu're doing great!

Hi! I was sleeve 1/14/14. I am 100lbs over weight but had lost 23lbs by the day of surgery. As of today, I am down 39lbs. The day before surgery, I almost changed my mind and right up until they put me under I was still having serious doubts about what I had decided to do to my body. Let me first say that the liquid diet my doctor put me on for 10 days was nothing compared to the surgery. I thank God that I requested to speak with someone who had also been sleeved and she told me things that the doctor and his staff did not. To begin with, that I would have to get out of bed 2 hours after surgery and drink some awful liquid for x-rays to check for leaks. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful that precautions such as this were taken but it was TOUGH! I have never felt so sick in my life and I have had major surgery before (brain tumor, 3 C-sections, hysterectomy and 2 hernia repair to name a few). Please don't be afraid to ask for something to stop the nausea even if you don't have it. My next complaint was pain control. After leaving the recovery room, it took the nursing staff over an hour to administer ANY PAIN MEDICINE. There was a break down in communication between the recovery room and the surgical floor. I also had an adverse side effect to the anesthesia and it took two days for me to fully come to my senses. In addition to this, I had an adverse side effect to the pain medicine and my heart rate/blood pressure/respirations dropped drastically and I had awful body tremors. Well, I had to stay an extra night and coming home was tough also. I could not get comfortable in any position on the bed so I slept in the recliner (what little I slept). Once home, it was almost impossible for me to sleep. No clue as to why. Another tid bit that someone on here told me, Do NOT trust a fart! Believe me when I say that is so true. Just think that the walk to the restroom is exercise and you will be doing a lot of that. Going to the bathroom!! I have also saw on here that several people state that they don't think they are sleeved. I am SLEEVED! It is hard to eat period. I feel full after three small teaspoons of anything. It is hard to get fluids down also but I am managing about 50 ounces a day. The other thing that I was not aware of is the fact that you will be extremely tired. I have NO energy. NONE. I just want to hang my head and close my eyes. It was bad the first week out from surgery. At that time, I didn't even want to talk. It took too much energy to carry on a conversation. I talk now but very little. Today is my first day back at work and I am now wondering how long I can make it. I have just been here two hours. On top of all this, I have had an allergic reaction to the surgi-strips. My incisions are broke out in a raised, itchy rash that is uncomfortable.

Would I do this again? Too early for me to say. My suggestion for you is to talk, talk, and talk some more to people that have had it done. I did this for health reasons and family history of heart attacks, strokes, and obesity. Don't go into this thinking it is a miracle cure. Don't go into this thinking that the surgery will do all the work for you. Don't go into this expecting it to be easy, complication free, or worry free. Also, don't let my experience scare you. Like anything good, it takes time so I am biding my time until I feel better. Best of luck to all of you!

I am so sorry that you have had such a hard time of it so far. I was sleeved on 7/29/13 I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I came thru surgery and recovery with flying colors, no problems with nausea until I started eating real food again. At 6 mos out I still cannot eat scrambled eggs, high fat ground meat, pork chops. I too had my sleeve for health reason's not because I really wanted it, but my surgeon looked me in the face and told me I would be dead in 7 yrs, if I didn't. Because I had uncontrolled blood sugars, uncontrolled high blood pressure, high cholesterol, liver enzymes over 1000, and climbing. I am only 57 yrs old, I would like to be around to see my grandchildren born and grow up if the Lord blesses me I will. Be able to go and do things with them that I couldn't with my girls. Enough about me, you do not give up are you taking your Vitamins, a multi, B12, b complex, Calcium with d 3, Biotin, if you can't stand the chaky taste you can buy gummies that is what I take. VitaFusion womens complete multi 2x day,VitaFusion Calcium 2x day, VitaFusion B12 2000 mg day, also if you have problems with Constipation I use equate sf Fiber supplement 2x day, also mirlax in hot drink daily. Everyday will be a little better than the last. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, I know you will make it. It's the best thing I have ever done for myself, I wish I had done it 30 yrs ago. If you need to talk we are here dor you.

Thank you for sharing. I had the nausea too and had to spend an extra day in the hospital. Those early days were tough. I sent my family home from the hospital because I too was too tired to hold a conversation. I spent most of Christmas day napping. I have found that the sleeve surgery was completely worth it for me, and I hope you find the same! My energy gets better every day--thank God! I am almost 6 weeks out.

Best,

Amy

If it was gonna happen, it was gonna happen to you!!!!! What a bummer!

I hope you have an eventful recovery. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Hey hang it there! Truth it sounds like you are going better then me my first week. I wont lie I had a thought here and and there questioning my decision but each day gets easier and easier. In no time you will forget what you are currently going though, I did until I read your post and I am only 9 wk out.

Edited by hatters