Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone!! My surgery is quickly approaching on Feb 17th! And I was just curious what everyone's recovery time was like! I have set a side a week off but If I need more I can take more time off as well ! I am a preschool teacher so I just want to make sure I take care of me first before I ease back in to work!

Congrats Lauren sorry I cant help you with that because I wont have my procedure until March , but wishing you good luck and speedy recovery.

I took two weeks off of work and I have a pretty sedentary desk-type job. I wouldn't have minded taking another week off, frankly. I had a very easy recovery, comparatively speaking. I am imagining a preschool teacher spends time kneeling on the floor with children, getting up, walking around, maybe helping move furniture or toys around -- if I were you I would count on two weeks out to be safe.

Hi there!

My recovery was fairly uneventful...I work a desk job, so very different from yours! I admire anyone that can teach pre-school. You are a saint.

I had surgery on a Thursday. I went back to work 1/2 days the following Monday, but I telecommuted, so I worked from home. I tired easily, even just sitting at my desk that first week. Week 2 I was back full time, again telecommuting, but still felt the need for rests during the day. I was able to walk immediately after surgery and by week 2 was walking a mile each day, but again, I got tired very easily.

I wasn't in pain and had no issues with my incisions - I just got tired.

Best of luck to you! Your date is fast-approaching. What an exciting time!

My day is February 19, and if I'm in he hospital 2 days, that gives me 11 days at home, before I go back to school (I'm a student), and I'm hoping that's enough. Everyone I've talked to ( and more importantly my doctor) have said that I should be perfectly fine, but will probably just be tired for the first week or two. I'm okay with that. I just need to make sure to get my Protein in, so I'm not too tired to miss class.

I can't wait!

Edited by Sarahjane79

Hi I'm new and just in the beginning stage. I had my initial visit this past Monday and was told to plan on taking 2-6 weeks off. I questioned if that was still the case with someone having the Sleeve procedure. I was told yes, but it will depend on my job. I was advised if my job requires a lot of pushing, pulling, standing, lifting or having to put my hands over my head I would need longer. I sit at my desk most of the day so I'll be taking only 2 weeks off although I expected to only take a week. She advised that most doctors don't want you returning to work until after you've had your post op visit usually about 10 days after the procedure. Good luck with everything.

I had four weeks off. Felt well after 2 weeks but I would have been tired if I had gone back before then. The extra two weeks let me get to grips with the purée stage and really feeling like myself again...

I went back to 1/2 days after 1 week and full time after 2 and I have a fairly active job. However, I used to teach skiing to 3-6 year olds so I can somewhat appreciate what you're going back to. I don't think I could have handled all that kid energy after just one week off. And don't forget about the lifting restrictions you will probably have, so heavy books, supplies, crying kids, etc. will have to stay put.

I went back to my desk job at one week post op, but would have done well to take one more week off. Not for pain or fatigue, but because I just couldn't get my mind on work at that stage. All I was thinking about was when I should stop drinking so I could eat 30 min later, what to eat and how much, etc. And for a job that involves keeping track of several pre-schoolers, and wondering if one of them will run into you full tilt... my advice is, take at least 2 weeks off.

I had eight weeks off of work because my surgeon had me on a no greater than 10 pound lifting restriction for 8 weeks, no bending or twisting etc, and in what I do, I can't have those kind of restrictions, so 8 weeks out of work for me.

Hi Lauren I just saw your post and was wondering how much time you took off work?? I am in the begining stages hopefully I will get my surgery(gastric sleeve) October 2015. I am a preschool teacher also. I have 4 and 5 year olds.