Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 5 mos post op--- how do ya'll feel about this surgery for a teenager?

I'm interested in possibly approaching my teen (17 years old) to have this surgery. It has changed my life and future. She isn't as heavy as I was.... but I know from experience that unless something drastically changes, she will be battling this weight her whole life. I really don't want her to wake up one day like I did and be old, worn out...then finally decide to do something about it. I want her senior year and prom to be amazing! I want her to feel beautiful....which she really is a stunning girl, but as we all know, weight puts up a wall we love to hide behind. Input??? I'm having feelings both directions but am leaning towards doing it if she's onboard.

post-149403-0-47305700-1390618266_thumb.jpg

I have mixed opinions about this question. On one hand, I was also an overweight teenager and would have loved to have been a "normal" size like all of my friends were. However, I can also say that I know that I was not mature enough when I was 17 to handle the responsibilities that comes with this surgery, following the steps, avoiding certain foods, and to be able to really understand the possible consequences.

I think it would be on a case by case basis. I think if your daughter is mature enough to handle all of the baggage that comes with weight loss surgery, then there is nothing wrong with having the conversation with her.

I was 50+ lbs overweight during my senior year. If I hand known that I'd spend the next 28 years being fat and miserable, I'd have done almost anything to get the surgery.

But keeping the weight off may be a challenge if you don't address the reasons for being overweight. It might be psychological/emotional issues or like me, my parents systematically over-fed me every day, and I became addicted to food. Having a good post-op support system in place really makes a difference.

My grandaughter is going to consultation for WLS & I support her 100%. I figure if she can have a permanant solution at an early age she will have a much happier life than yoyo dieting for decades like I did.

Well the reason I'm actually on the fence with this is that she isn't really as overweight as the Dr's in the US would like for her to have surgery, but I know it just multiplies a little at the time and one day you wake up fat and miserable! I also feel the the risks are soooo much less when you are a little less overweight and healthy and younger. I just don't know how to feel!?! They really want you to be huge and almost dead to have the surgery here. I had it in MX and had a wonderful experience. Actually a better hospital experience than any other here in the US ever!

First of all, congratulations on your success. As far as approaching a teen about this, I think is a good idea. The reason why I did my surgery to begin with was because I saw how it changed my cousin's life. He is only 16 (15 when he did the surgery) but it has made him a new person, he is more active, he is happy, enjoying his life sooooooo much more than before. However, it took him almost a year to come to a decision about the surgery, he was very reluctant and really took his time until he was ready. So I really don't think it's a bad idea to let your child know that this is an option, without felling rushed or anything.

I'm interested in possibly approaching my teen (17 years old) to have this surgery. It has changed my life and future. She isn't as heavy as I was.... but I know from experience that unless something drastically changes, she will be battling this weight her whole life. I really don't want her to wake up one day like I did and be old, worn out...then finally decide to do something about it. I want her senior year and prom to be amazing! I want her to feel beautiful....which she really is a stunning girl, but as we all know, weight puts up a wall we love to hide behind. Input??? I'm having feelings both directions but am leaning towards doing it if she's onboard.

I actually want my daughter to have it as we'll. She is very short for a 15 year old and very over weight. I'm going to speak to her about it over dinner tonight. He self esteem is so low because of her weight. If she agrees we will go to mexico this summer. Dr E. Ortiz did my sleeve and I would like him to do hers.

Is that a picture of your daughter at the bottom of your original post? She is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Has she asked you to have the surgery?

I would NEVER "suggest" the surgery to my teenage daughter. I was crushed during my teen years because my mother said I needed to lose weight. I was 5' 7" and weighed between 140 and 150. She and my sisters were all 5' 2" and under and weighed in the 100 pound range. I was NOT fat, just bigger than they were.

I never got over her view of me as fat. Eventually it became a self-fulfilling prophecy - highest weight 270. I am 54 years old now and it took a lot of work to get rid of the feeling of being fat (and therefore ugly) because my mother thought I was.

If your daughter asked you if she could have the surgery, then that is a different story. But even then, this is a rough road - not a magic solution. She would have to be very mature and realize that she would have to eat (and drink) like a well-disciplined adult for the rest of her life.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm an 18-year-old girl and have been battling with my weight all my life. Just recently, it's gone a little out of my control. My parents suggested me this surgery and I was really excited. My surgery date is February 15th, 2014. I'm still excited and a little nervous now too.

The main reason my parents suggested the surgery was because the scale was keep on climbing and they wanted to give me a tool I could use before it really got bad. This surgery will help with my health. I wish I could have gotten this done before prom. I felt like crap on prom surrounded by all the thinner girls who looked gorgeous. I think you should suggest it to your daughter too. If not to look good and feel good for prom and the rest of her life, then for the fact that she will be healthy.

I'm 5'0 and weigh 180 pounds

Well the reason I'm actually on the fence with this is that she isn't really as overweight as the Dr's in the US would like for her to have surgery, but I know it just multiplies a little at the time and one day you wake up fat and miserable! I also feel the the risks are soooo much less when you are a little less overweight and healthy and younger. I just don't know how to feel!?! They really want you to be huge and almost dead to have the surgery here. I had it in MX and had a wonderful experience. Actually a better hospital experience than any other here in the US ever!

Off topic: I noticed ur in Oregon. Who did ur surgery? I had Dr Tersigni at Bay Bariatrics in coos Bay. Luv them!!

Just moved to So Ca from Medford, Or 3 mths ago. Sure miss the "no sales tax and someone pumping my gas" gig Oregon has going!!!