Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 8...and really struggling

I had sleeve surgery 8 days ago, 1/13/14, and over the last two days I've been feeling really depressed in regards to food. For the first 4-5 days post-op, I was on a liquid diet, i.e. broth, sugar-free popsicles, sugar-free Jello, low sugar juice, etc. I did fine with that, but of course, I wasn't really wanting to eat at that point. Since Saturday, I've transitioned to the next stage, which allows me to add scrambled eggs, cream of wheat, mashed potatoes, and light yogurt. But I'm not doing so great. I've been having diarrhea randomly after eating, so I'm not sure if I'm eating too fast or not eating the right thing, or if this is just normal? The diarrhea isn't horrible, since there isn't a whole lot going in - there ain't much to go out! And I'm also just feeling so sad and depressed at all the things I can't eat now. I have the worst cravings. I was at the supermarket with my boyfriend on Sunday, and I walked past the deli area. This market has a gourmet olive bar, and I was overcome with the MOST incredible craving for an olive. I seriously considered going over, snatching an olive, and just putting it in my mouth so I could taste it. I rationalized it to my boyfriend, saying "I won't swallow it, just taste it." Thank goodness he was there to make me see how bad an idea that was. But it was so depressing walking around the store, looking at all the different foods, and feeling like I didn't belong there because so much of it is off-limits for now.

Does it get easier? Are the feelings I'm having normal post-op feelings? I have my first post-op appointment with my doctor tomorrow, and I believe I will be transitioned to the next phase. I'm hoping maybe I'll feel better at the next stage. I'm going to talk to my doctor about this, but I'd welcome hearing from anyone else who has felt this way, is going through the same thing, or has some encouragement they can share. Thanks for reading, fellow sleevers.

Oh yes...I had those feelings early on. I cried one day with depression of what I could not have... Now I am fine. I did view eating as an event. I would get excited about it. Now I just eat to stay alive...no longer an event or something to get excited about and that was a good thing for me. Best wishes to you... You will be better when you can have more variety.

Totally normal. I am 6 weeks out today and half the time I have diarrhea. It doesn't bother me that much. Before you know it you can eat that olive. Just be patient.

I felt exactly the same way!!! And there are days that I still do! I had mine done 1/10/3014 so I could definitely relate, I had a situation like that happen to me while making dinner for my husband, I was able to overcome it by having a shake and a popcicle, I'm relieved to hear that I'm not alone, I've heard people say the gastric sleeve is the easy way out, I don't think people realize how many changes you have to go through while on this journey, I'm sure we will be ok and it will definitely be worth it! Good luck!!! :)

I went through a bit of depression! But I remembered why I did the sleeve in the first place! The mental aspect is tough! I had my sleeve on Dec 27 2012 and I am so happy I did it! Hang in there, those feelings are totally normal

Eat to live, don't live to eat, is our new motto! It is amazing how our tastes change following surgery. The small mashed potatoes packets, the 1 container of premade mashed potatoes, and 1 raw potato I bought to cook, have sat lonely and unwanted. The SF chocolate pudding containers I bought for convenience are lonely too. I cannot think of anything I am craving. Maybe some homemade chicken and dumplings or 1 chicken wing! But I am smarter than that. I read someone 2 months out had a pickle with turkey wrapped around it. Have not wanted that yet. I did have Cream of Wheat twice and did not die of happiness like I thought I would!<br /><br />Purple kite, relax. You just had a weak moment. I was going to the grocery store every 2 days prior to surgery and now I have not been in 7 days. Love the new way of eating!!! We do not eat out much so thankfully I am not tempted a lot.<br /><br />Every day will get easier, I am 2 months post op and loving this new life with no cravings. Good luck everyone.

I was also banded on 1/13/14 and still on a full liquid diet. I would love to have something other than yogurt, pudding, Protein shakes, malt o meal, runny mash potatoes,creamed Soups, applesauce, orange sherbert. That's about the extent of my diet for the last week and for the rest of the week! I have cheated a bit and had a few ritz crackers and everything was ok. I don't want to chance it any so I wont venture out more than that until later in the week. I'm right there with you!

I'm on day 15 and just today got the ,ok to start eggs, pureed bean Soups, cheese and other mushy foods, it sounds like you started to soon, diarrhea is a sign of your body rejecting it, at least that's what my doctor told me, and if you do have diarrhea after a food then wait 24hrs until you start another mushy food.

I will say this, only 2 times I put something in my mouth and chewed it and spit it out. A French Fry and Chinese fried rice. It satisfied me and didn't hurt to do it. Just don't swallow it but you know that. It does get easier I promise, slow baby steps you are still in the early stages like me. I was sleeved on the 7th. Hang in there!!

THE FIRST SUPPER: I am Day 8, puréed food. Today I craved meatballs and creamed spinach. DH got a meatloaf dinner plate for one at Boston Market. I got out my little 2-TBSP cups: one with puréed meatloaf; one with creamed spinach; one with mashed potatoes. Ate the meatloaf first, half the spinach (too fibrous), then the potatoes. Sat at table with my DH and ate a civilized hot meal. Chewed each bite 30 times. Two meals for half the price it would have been a month ago and I had leftovers for another meal! Major morale boost.

I'm 6 days out and I have also thought about things I can't have. But I just tell myself that this is my new life. I've eaten enough pizza, fried foods, fast food for a couple of lifetimes already. Yes, I see ads and get a twinge of cravings for that stuff, but look where it got me - 380lbs is where that got me.

Besides, I'm fairly certain once you're far enough out, you can enjoy things like that occasionally.

Thank you all so much for replying! It is so helpful to hear that my struggle isn't unusual, and that I'm not alone. I feel much better after reading these responses. :)