Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im new on here. I recently made the decision to have weight loss surgery. Im a nurse alot of my colleagues and friends ( thin of course). Keep saying its the easy way out, just work harder, and other comments against me having surgery. Have yall had any negative comments?

I am a CT tech and have created quite a commotion in radiology Dept. I have found diet books on my desk. Ive been told I'm not overweight enough to have surgery. I just let them know I have done my research and decided this is what I need to do. They have left me alone now. I'm half way through a 6 mo healthy weight coaching that is. Required by my ins coverage.

Tell them that having your stomach 80-85 % removed from your body and then healing and changing your entire thinking and feelings about food and struggling to work on the addiction that food has played in your life and that you have made a commitment to do this for the rest of your life and that they know nothing about what has gone on in your life for you to make this decision.....Dealing with saggy skin and loss of hair and stupid remarks like they are making will not endear themselves to you as you take this so called east way out...

In my books they are taking the easy way out because they have the choice to go back and choose to eat a lot or not. Go off their diets for special occasions or not..To gain it all back because they never fixed what was wrong in their heads...

If they really think you took the easy way out then they are not friends at all..They should be supporting your decision not ridiculing it.....

I think they are afraid of what you are about to become..A new stronger healthier person that they may have to find someone or something else to make themselves feel better about their short comings....

It is so much easier to look at someone else and say Well at least...If they lose that...well we will see won't we!

So it for you hun and tell them that is exactly who you are doing it for...It is your turn and your journey!!!!!!

Also you know what I don't understand! That if they are truly your friends would they want you to do things the easy way or the hard way...If they were friends they would not even say such a thing.....True friends want the best for you.....

Never allow negative comments stop you from living a HEALTHIER life!!

your stomach goes from a size of a football to a golf ball, you will have to put yourself back in the grove of things being tempted daily and trying to get your mind inclined with your journey will not be "easy" you will lose some friends, and gain some new friends. friendships/relationships will all change.

you have to deal with body image, not in a bad way but slowly you will discover who you are underneath it all and you will start loving your new life. after its all said and done here comes the saggy skiin but don't look at it as another issue look at your body as a journal, and the skin will be your story of who you use to be and a old life you will not return to.

no matter what we go through in life whether you are fighting obesity or drugs addiction you have to take it day by day....

its easy for a person to tell you how to get fit....but its all a bunch of bull....i use to go to the gym and reward myself after with a slice of pizza and a big mac....unless they walk in your shoes they would never understand how hard it is.

now that you see they are not supportive don't offer or share your journey with them. just do your research, come on here, look at videos on youtube, go online buddy up with someone and you make a decision to change your life.

people will criticize you, try to talk you out of it, give you some off the wall advice....do what your heart feels, and do whats good for your health....you can stay big and be miserable, or chose to take your life back that choice is yours!

and when you are fitting in those skin tight jeans and pretty shirt, and your co-workers look at you wondering how are you doing it, tell them you didn't take the easy way out, you used a tool that help save your life!

people kill me they will try and give you advice on dating and have no man of their own, go in to a beauty salon and a bald lady will tell me how to keep my hair long and curly..., then you have skinny people not understanding the struggles of being over weight, unhealthy, miserable, sick and the one thing they can say is go to the gym don't take the easy way out...

this life change is far from a easy way out trust me!

i say all this to say do your research and ask yourself whats good for you, forget what ppl say...

good luck and you have all of us here who understand and can support you during this journey!! :)

Yes ma'am! Another nurse here and have had the same stuff said. Just learned to keep my support group close and forget the others. Bothered me a lot at the start but they can all kiss it now nearly 9 months later. So much healthier and happier in my life. I honestly made the best decision for ME! I am so glad I did also. People are gonna talk and it's just the nature of the beast. You follow your heart and what's best for your life! Wishing you plenty of love, support, success, and joy in your journey!!

Everyone has their own opinion. I have heard people tell me to not do it. They tell me I'm not fat enough. People have a preconception that you have to be heavy enough to require a fork-lift to get around. The best opinions come from the thin people that see obesity from a totally different perspective, why wouldn't they...they aren't obese. It's like a deaf person telling a blind person that they can see. Anyways, this decision takes so much research. Of course some opinions count but it makes more sense to hear them from people that have actually been through it.....like the people on this site for example. :) You let that all sink in and make the decision for YOURSELF. It is for your health, not theirs. They aren't in your situation. They aren't bariatric physicians. Anyways, if anyone tells you its "the easy way out" they are full of it. If anything, this surgery takes more commitment than any traditional diet ever would require. You put in months of preparation, your body changes, you are changed mentally, and you have to live your life in a totally different manner. You are strong. You know yourself and if the person hasn't gone to med school for weight loss surgery, or has had the procedure done....screw em!

Thanks everyone its very difficult but yall are right its for me. My family has been so supportive and im thankful for that. Most of all my boyfriend has been a tremendous support. He is dieting with me going to doctor meetings support groups. Im truly blessed to have someone who loves me for me and holding my hand every step of the way.

First of all, welcome to the forum. You are absolutely in the right place! One filled with folks who understand exactly where you're coming from and the almost miraculous, life changing journey you're embarking on. Congratulations!

As others have suggested, doing your own research is one of the best things you can possibly do. Keep researching until you are confident and comfortable with your decision. Choose your sources carefully - there is a lot of mis-information out there. Harvard School of Public Health, the National Institutes of Health, World Health Organization, mayo Clinic, American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, the FDA and WebMD are all excellent sources.

When you reach the point where you are confident that you know more about bariatric surgery than anyone ignorant enough and absurd enough to suggest that it is the easy way out, you're ready. And perhaps more importantly, armed with that confidence, those people and those opinions simply become irrelevant. It's really quite surprising how easy it becomes to simply smile and say thank you for your concern.

You're gonna love the new you!!

I must be very lucky! I too am a nurse but the few co-workers I have discussed surgery with have been very supportive, no negative comments so far but prepared if they come :)

I'm a pct working in the hospital not many coworkers know that I got the surgery just those who as well did the surgery and two best coworkers of mine. Very excited and supportive.

By the time I made the decision to have lapband, I was already about 30 lbs down. Now, a little over a week away, I am 57 lbs down. I was actually told the other day by a doctor that I didn't need the surgery if I could lose tht much I could just keep going! I flipped out. I told her...I can lose this much weight like nothing...but then I stop losing, I get discouraged and I gain it all back and then some. I have tried every damn diet known to man. I have type Ii and high bp. AND I have a 7-1/2 year old and a 13 yer old that need their momma! This, for me, is a last resort. I won't EVER see that doctor again.

I've had a weight problem my whole life so my family and friends have done nothing but encourage me!