Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared to Death

I had surgery on Valentine's Day and I followed my diet for the first week after surgery. After I was allowed to move to regular foods, I have completely lost control of myself. I eat whatever I want, whenever I want it and I can't stand myself for it. I have zero restriction and feel the same as I did before surgery only less $15,000.00. Not sure why I can't commit to eating better and lots less. I have a fill finally on March 29th. Should I expect to have more control, or will I still constantly be battling the urge to eat? Any advice? I can take it.

Don't panic. It's alright.

I did the same thing as you. I ate everything after I healed up from the surgery - cause I figured that after I started getting fills I wouldn't be able to "ever eat ___ again."

1) You have no fill. Basically, it IS just like you never had the surgery. You are still as hungry as before and therefore have just the same lack of control. Do as well as you can - but don't beat up on yourself too badly.

2) You WILL be able to eat those foods that you love - probably for a long time and several fills, so there is no need to worry about never eating it again. I wish I had known, I would have done better before my fills started.

So, don't be too upset with yourself. Once you start getting fills, it will start to get easier to control yourself. It will probably take more than one fill to get to good restriction - so don't say you haven't been warned. I think I have had 7 or 8 fills now. I have good restriction NOW - but it was fill 6 before I had anything close to Good restriction.

Remember - this surgery is for slow and steady weightloss. FAST isn't the way and it isn't likely to happen unless you really, really work hard and are lucky enough to get good restriction early on.

It's not a race. It's a journey. Try to relax and enjoy the scenery.

Hugs!

:) Thanks so much for the support. It is hard to keep things in perspective. My family asks me all the time..."How are you doing?" It gets frustrating because I always say still starving and quit asking. The pressure is greater because everyone knows I have had surgery and are expecting this great difference right away. The fact is, if they really took the time to read about it, they would understand how slow of a process it is. Thanks again renebean!

Kelly

I'm in the same boat. Just got my first fill on Monday (had to beg for a 5 week post op fill)...and they only added .5cc's which is literally nothing. I can't tell one bit of difference, and could probably eat an entire cheesecake by myself! Are you gaining any weight? I was more worried about that than anything. I lost my initial 13 or so lbs. the first week. Since then, nothing much. I think inches are coming off though. Another fill scheduled on Monday. I'm going to talk them into a much more agressive fill. Hang in there...we'll both make it. I'm sure we won't be able to eat normally for long!

Lessofme,

So nice to meet someone who feels exactly like me! In all fairness, I was told that I would have a frustrating first six weeks and that I could expect little to no weight loss my first year because I'm not "big enough". Still, you hope that is just a sick joke and that the weight loss really will happen sooner than that. I just want to see a pound a week and I'll calm down. I guess I'm going to have to do all the work myself for now. Thanks again for listening!:)

I am trying not to feel a little concerned about the weight loss and hunger. My DH & I am scheduled for surgery on the 9th & really counted on just being hungry a week or two and at least more than 10 lbs loss each by end of 4 weeks. Thanks for the forewarnings and encouragement about being patient.

simmons775

Exactly! I think we're on our own for now. I guess the hardest part after paying $13K out of pocket for my band...is that I'm so ready to take a break from dieting on my own. 25 years of fighting the lbs. by myself is enough! I was anxious to let the million dollar "band" control my portions rather than my brain for a change. Instead, I'm finding myself measuring, counting, literally dieting once again. Kind of discouraging. Glad to hear I'm not alone though.

Be sure to tell the Dr./nurse the truth about what you're actually able to eat comfortably, so they'll be agressive enough with your fill to do some good! Sound's like the fill amount is totally based on what you can eat.

You may have to have more than 1 fill to feel good restriction. It will also help with your hunger. Try not to eat more than 1 cup of food at a time. Limit your Snacks and try and eat as healthy. I think once you get a couple good fills things will turn around for you. Good luck.

Every body will be fine. Just focus on maintaining and try to build good habits on drinking Water and getting in your exercise. It will all come together when you start to get decent restriction.

I promise.

As to what to tell everybody - I educated them until they were bored to tears. Everytime anybody asked (and sometimes even if they didn't!) I told them that this is the slow, safe surgery and that it would never be dramatic. Most folks stopped asking - cause they knew they were going to get a lecture! LOL!

It's only pressure if you let it be. Anybody who is less than kind should get a good stiff kick. Or you can come back later and gloat. Or you can just educate them to death. Whatever works for you.

Chin up. Drink your water. Practice chewing. Trust me, that chewing skill will be important in a few fills.

Hugs!

I hear and feel your pain. Before the first fill is called bandsters hell...because you can still eat and get really hungry. I had this same problem. I also lost 23 pounds after surgery and stayed there for 3 weeks.

I got my first fill last Thursday. WHAT a DIfference!!! He filled me really well because I told him I could eat a horse. Plus, I was from out of town.

Since Thursday, I've hardly been able to eat. I get hungry and then after 3-4 bites..I'm stuffed!! It's amazing!!!

Hang in there...You're all going to make it and life is going to be greater for all of us!!

Just a reminder that everyone is different - a .5cc fill may be nothing to one person, and be far too tight on another (like me).

I was also told that they DO initially give a .5cc fill during surgery, but it's not considered a fill...just part of the surgery. So you're not completely wide open.

Do try to get a grip on yourself now though, because when you do get a fill to where you're getting restriction, you may have a real tough time (headwise) with eating the smaller portions.

Hang in there! I was like you and thought that I would drop weight and just not really have to watch things but believe me after the fills it does get better and doesn't feel like dieting. You are just happy with a whole lot smaller amount than before. I eat whatever I want but just smaller amounts but over all I think that I really eat healthier also. I haven't been able to exercise and I just had knee replacement surgery 3 weeks ago but looking forward to when I can to speed things up a bit. But slow is good and sure as heck beats gaining... good luck it will all come together for you in a little while..

Before I totally freakout can someone tell me this, if the small Inamed band only holds 4cc why do I have 4.3 ccs in mine??? My Dr. said I have the small band and when I wound up with 4.3 cc at my last fill I said I thought it would only hold 4 cc. He said some hold 6 ccs and kept walking. Should I be having some saline removed? I don't want to wind up with erosion or whatever... I'm think I'm doing fine but I'm worried I may not be down the line. Any advice? Does someone out there know if I should do something about this or not?

Also, I would appreciate some advice from people that have lost over 50 lbs within 6 or 7 months of their surgery. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. What does a days worth of meals consist of for you?

banded 7/7/06

25 lbs lost (yep only 25)

I had my surgery on 2/7 and my first fill was 2cc on a 4ccs band. I have been losing slowly because I can still eat, I never experienced what people say... 2 or 3 bites and they are full. I eat about 1/2 a cup of food for each meal. I even feel I should eat less than that, because I have lost only 16 lbs so far. ( including pre-op diet)