Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi from Ireland!

hi damienne , would it be possible to pm me the number for dr fredrick , im at a standstill for months now and feel i need a fill ..... im fed up waiting for a result from acs........ thanks

Hi Damienne

Im booked in with Frederik for 9am and my friend is booked for 9.30am - so a meet up after that would be great. I believe the pub is called Larry Murphys (could have that one completely wrong there!) but don't know if it will be open that early? If it isn't we can meet in Pembroke St if people like and go from there

Siepie

Hi folks. Thanks for the welcome. Yes the spelling is Jellybaby, because at 48 years of age they are still one of my favourite foods. I'm afraid I've never quite grown up food wise. If I'm honest, I still prefer chips burgers to avocados or smoked salmon. I have struggled between 10 st. 2 lbs and 15 st.7 lbs several times over the past 20 years. The band is my final spur to take hold of myself and grow up in my eating habits.

I'm being banded on Wednesday. I expect to feel pretty grotty for a few days (hope I'm well enough to suss out the hot doctors Roe!:angry:), but then...new life , I hope.

I live an hour from Cork city. I hope I will be able to join you in the future in Dublin or where ever

Blessings

J.

Hi Elise could you pm me with Frederiks no I cant seem to find it anywhere. I have a head like a sive.

Thanks a bunch Roe.

I'd be grateful if any of you could give me a list of foods/drinks/supplements that I should have ready for myself in the weeks after the banding op.

Is the rule any liquids, or should they be Clear Liquids and, if so, what exactly are 'clear liquids'? The Americans on the forum talk a lot about Protein Drinks. Do we have them here?

As I live in the countryside I'd like to get my supplies in before I return.

Thanks for any guidance you folks can give.

J.

Hi Jellybaby,

I believe it may be me who was flashing their belly at you in Dublin - it's weird, since I have had the op I have no issue showing my stomach, prior to surgery I would never have contemplated it let alone lifted my top!

Dr DeBruyne said we could have liquids without bits and yogurt without bits post op, I had yogurt without bits (Petit Filou and Munch something or other), I had and still have Protein Shakes, I got the powder from Holland & Barrett called Body Fortress whey Protein, you can mix it with Water or milk and make a shake. The powder has 98cals per scoop and it doesnt taste all that bad. I also got some Meal Replacement shakes in Belgium called Gerlinea and bought them back with me. There is an Aldi or Lidl in Vilvoorde that may stock them. Ive been taking Rubex Essentials which is a soluble Vitamin & mineral with lutein, I just let it go completely flat before I drink it. I also stocked up on cup a Soup chicken broth and Tomato from memory. I really lived on yogurt and shakes for the two weeks post op and I survived ok. The pre mixed protein shakes from Holland Barrett were awful so steer clear of them. I was hardly hungry the first two weeks at all.

Hope everything goes swimmingly for you this week - you are in very good hands. If you are feeling up to it hope to see you on the 26th!

Siepie:smile2:

Twinkle Toes and Roe: I’ve PM’d you the number to make an appointment.

JellyBaby: Clear Liquids was never mentioned to me for post op. My liquids consisted of cup of Soups and yogurts(no bits). I didn’t go out looking specifically for Protein drinks but I did have Slim Fasts around which are actually fairly decent for protein (20g a bottle). Also I had milk and low fat custard. Anything with milk really is going to add to your protein amounts. And don’t forget to sip loads of Water. I think apple juice was also on the list Dr. Chris gave me, They don’t recommend orange juice as it irritates some stomachs. I was ok with it though.

Best of Luck on Wednesday. Don’t forget to walk to relieve the gas, it really helps.

Damienne: You seem to be feeling much better. See you on the 16th.

Hi Elsie, and thanks for that no:thumbs_up:. Im waiting for a call back. I cant even get in touch with acs this morning. I hope Fred can fit me in next time round.:thumbs_up:

LOVE ROE

Hi everybody, im new to this page and was hoping for a bit of advise. I am booked into have the band fitted on 1st aug in belgum with Dr Bruno Dillemans. I have read about him but i wont meet him till im over there. Has anyone been to see him or heard stories good or bad, i am going through WLSgroup cause they do the 2 yrs after care. i have bout 6 stone to lose and feel this is the last option now after yrs of WW and diet sheets and pills. i realy feel exceited about it - i think i do have unrealistic goals with as well, id hope to lose 3 stone by xmas. something that the docs wont realy give a defo answer on is can you go out and get drunk after the sugery(not straight away) but id hate to think that i cant have any social life, i have read people do but i thought id ask here.

Hi Edel, welcome to the site. YO are making the best decision of your life by going ahead and getting the lap band fitted. I lost 5 stone with a band from May 07 - Feb 08 and I am so much fitter and healthier for it. It totally radicalised my life and I am sso greatful that I saw it as a good investment in my own health. The reason I did it was so that I could make a baby and I successfully made one on my honeymoon there in February!!!! As for the alcohol, well it is inevitable that you will become a cheap date once you begin your weight loss journey. I am not convinced that it is all down to the band that you are more susceptible to getting drunk on smaller quatities of alcohol or if it is because you loose so much weight and your body needs to get use to such weight loss and the alcohol just seems to have a far greater effect! I could still enjoy my favourite glasses of red wine throughout my weight loss and nobody even noticed that I wasn't interested in drinking as much as I use to. Now I'm not sure about beer drinkers as I am not one so you will have to get more insight from them on here.

As for your Q: re: the 3 stone weight loss by Christmas. Well if you get the band and follow the band eating rules and add in some exercise, like walking you will definately loose weight, no doubt about it. The trick is to keep working with your band and listening to your body so that you can reach your sweet spot and loose the optimal amount of weight. Keep asking the questions on here an dyou will get loads of anecdotal experience. Good luck!

Hi everybody, im new to this page and was hoping for a bit of advise. I am booked into have the band fitted on 1st aug in belgum with Dr Bruno Dillemans. I have read about him but i wont meet him till im over there. Has anyone been to see him or heard stories good or bad, i am going through WLSgroup cause they do the 2 yrs after care. i have bout 6 stone to lose and feel this is the last option now after yrs of WW and diet sheets and pills. i realy feel exceited about it - i think i do have unrealistic goals with as well, id hope to lose 3 stone by xmas. something that the docs wont realy give a defo answer on is can you go out and get drunk after the sugery(not straight away) but id hate to think that i cant have any social life, i have read people do but i thought id ask here.

Hi Edel, Welcome to LBT. Congrats on making your decision to be banded. Three stone by xmas may be possible. I think will take hard work and some exercise. I have lost 3 stone in 4 months (10lb of this on pre-op diet). It def slows down or stops when I'm being lazy. I did have a lot more to lose though. In relation to drink, if your a beer drinker, its bad news. Carbonated drinks are not recommended, they can stretch the pouch. However dont worry about not having a social life, its not a problem. I drink wine or spirits. I dont get drunk though because pre-band, drunk episodes were ALWAYS followed by a bad vomiting session :)(TMI?) I dont want to take a risk of vomiting as it can lead to a slippage and I just dont like doing it either, but thats just me. I can and do have great nights out and I haven't turned into a Water drinking bore.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I havent heard any bad stories about Dr. Dillemans. I believe he does bypass as well as band and can push the bypass sometimes. This might just be for higher BMI people though.

Elsie

Hi All,

Good to see all are doing well.

Roe: delighted you're making an appointment with the Belgium dr. It will kick start you again and make the op you've had worth while. I know it's a pain the way we are being treated by ACS but at this point I think you're doing the right thing. Hope it all goes well for you.

Hi Edel,

Welcome to the site, as for the drink situation, I'm 18mths down the line and although I still drink I have found that I've had to change from my fav. Gin & Tonic to Gin and Cranberry. Only because I can't take the bubbles anymore. I can still have the odd glass of champagne when its offered (rude to refuse) but I need to drink it very slowly. As for getting drunk, well I've had my moments :lol: but for the most part I don't drink more than 2 or 3 drinks because I start to feel full. A tip someone gave me once was to drink doubles that way you can keep up with your fellow drinkers.:P Either way, congratulations on making your decision and good luck with the op. Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing.:lol:

Hi Allure,

How are you, you sound in good form. How is the pregnancy going and how is the restriction? I've not been around the site much and have been very bold as regards texting peeps lately, with the kids off school and the normal routine out the window, I've just been really lazy.:lol: We have to have a proper catch up in the next week or two. So I will text you promise.:lol:

ah girls thanks very much for the replys, very encouraging. I came across this site cause i wanted to find people from ireland going throught it, not that easy by the way. Reading peoples replys makes it seem harder that i thought - i was one who thought ah well i just wont be able to eat end of story, that doesnt seem to be the case. Not that it would put me off as WW used to say "nothing tastes as good as being slim feels", not that i can remember what it felt like now it was 10 yrs ago that i was in any way slim. Me and my sis in law are going together, she is being banded as well on the same day so thats a bit of company. she hasnt as much to lose as me but she has been big all her life, she did lose a lot of weight her self with ww and such but she is stuck now.

There are a lot of good tips on this site, glad i found it.

How do u get the tracker on the bottom.:confused2: