Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi from Ireland!

Hi Roe I'm not sure what day will suit everyone. I work but I'll take the day off if it means getting this sorted out. Hopefully people will start posting again instead of just reading and we can arrange a meeting

Hi all I haven't posted here for ages. Was banded nearly a year ago in ACS. Was happy with Jerome as a surgeon and the aftercare he provided while he was still in the country. Found Tara very difficult to deal with - had to practically beg for a fill (which she was unable to give me). Lou knew her stuff but I felt like a small child up against the headmistress each time I saw her! Not very happy with my weight loss to be honest - only 37lbs in a year. I am just so angry about the present situation with ACS. If over 300 people were banded in that first year, then ACS have over 3 million euro of our money. In my opinion, that would buy a lot of stamps to post a letter to their clients to let them know what the situation is. They never even informed us that our surgeon was gone - we had to find that out in the newspaper! The present situation of travelling to Belfast for a fill seems crazy to me. Surely as any doctor will tell you, its crucial to be close to medical care after a fill! What happens if you get overfilled in Belfast - who is going to defill you? Do you wait another month for Jerome to return? Surely the reason we all decided to have the op here instead of the UK or Belgium was for convenience for fills and to have our surgeon on call in case of emergency? Taking a day off work to travel 3 hours to Belfast and 3 hours back, is just not an option for me. If it was, I would have saved my money and gone to Belgium! How many more of us have to be rushed into hospital before we take action? I was at the last meeting and was really surprised at how few people turned up, considering how many people on here are stating how unhappy they are. ACS are able to treat us like this because they know we want to remain anonymous and they are taking advantage of this. I have taken my own steps as was agreed at the meeting to get some answers from ACS, but I really feel that there is strength in numbers. Surely someone on this forum has a solicitor friend that they could confide in to find out where we stand legally. I am happy to attend another meeting and feel that we should all get together to decide what to do, but my gut feeling is that only the same few will turn up again. I went to the trouble of drafting a group letter for the last meeting, but we felt that only four signatures was not enough to warrant sending it. Are we going to carry on complaining on here or are we going to do something? I think turning up on their doorstep isn't really the first step. What are the chances of the person we need to see being there? All we would get is another receptionist who hasn't got a clue what's going on. I would think the woman herself is lying low at the moment. If we could just find out our legal position then we could start from there. I really feel this is the first step. I don't think there is any point in meeting until we know where we stand legally. (sorry for the long post!)

I would really be grateful if we do have a meeting could it be held at the weekend or evening as my job does not allow for time off (no trip to Belfast for me!). Thanks!

Come on girls start posting, or pm, no time to waste.Sorry about my bad spellings. I should take a look before I post

Hello everyone have you seen the Irish Mail on Sunday, someone definitely went to the papers. Have a funny feeling its going to backfire though I'd say Jerome wont be back to Belfast somehow. Someone complained about a nurse doing fills without the supervision of a surgeon and next thing we knew Lou wasnt doing fills anymore. They're treating us like kids if we speak out they take something off us.

Your dead right Holly123 we need legal advice. Someone said Citizens Advice give free legal advice so thats an option

Your right Roe 9 people are reading this post and no-ones posting ACS have got what they want and people have stopped posting. The journalist quoted from this site so we know he's reading it and we know ACS are reading it so come on girls come out come out wherever you are:wink_smile:

Hi folks,

I too would be happy to attend any meetings to discuss ACS aftercare. I do think there should be a lawyer or legal adviser present to review our contracts advise on what what the next step should be in approching ACS. If we're going to do this, might as well do it right.

I think we also need to be cautious about media involvement, even though it could help in highlighting our issue. We all saw the negitive throwback it had for Jerome even though everyone was happy with his service.

Just something to consider.

atfc

The Article in the Mail on Sunday is not helping us - Jerome is being made a scapegoat I am worried about the negative impact this is having on our aftercare. Most of us have done this and didn't tell people about the procedure. Why? because of media bad publicity etc - we are already vunerable about our self image and if we have tried his as a last resort we dont want to be ridiculed for spending such a huge amount of money

on yet another "FAD" We are not stupid people we did not do this lightly

We chose ACS So that we could get proper aftercare close to home -And not the cheaper option of travelling abroad - It seems to me here that people are not taking into account that ACS hands may be tied in what they can offer us with restrictions from the Medical Council / Board ect. May be we should clarify the position with ACS They do need to notify us of were we stand. And If the Medical Council/board or whatever authority have taken our surgeon away from us and he can only see us outside the Rep of Ireland - then surely they have a duty to provide us with the back up of a reccomended surgeon in Ireland who is qualified to deal with our aftercare and can review the procedure that is so under question that they deem it a health risk - If this is the case then we need a clinic set up to monitor the patients that have undergone this surgery and give the necessary aftercare required for sucessful followthrough - I don't want to wait for an emergency to find out Im in Trouble. I also dont want to have to justify what I have done in having this procedure by going public, But more than that I don't want to be punished by the Irish medical council and our health system that cannot offer people suffering with obesity a solution that does not require a ridiculously long waiting list and Gastric by pass instead of Banding as a preferred method of treatment - a surgical risk I would not be prepared to undergo at least banding is reversible and I hope some day having lost the weight I can go on to leading a normal healthy and fit lifestyle that will keep my weight under control. If an Irish surgeon is suspended his patients are followed up to - why not us!

Just my two cents - This board is now public property and I Suspect most of us will remain reading. I fear for where our future lies with ACS as I can't see Jerome coming back to Belfast next month - He told me He would see me in France if there is a problem but who will pay for that!!

A meeting I feel could turn into a Media event - Its not just members of this board that need to attend but all patients who have been banded by ACS - This is what we should be asking ACS to organise. An Information evening for all their patients - as we already know they are watching I think we need to coordinate our actions - Everyone should write directly to ACS to protect their anomininity and an action group of people willing to go public be formed to monitor the progress of action - if nothing is forthcoming than we will each individually have to make a decision to seek both legal & medical advice as we cant live with an unmonitored device inside us. I do think the Minister for health should be notified of the situation now so if action does have to be taken that we have a documented case of concern with regard to appropriate aftercare for patients of ACS - Sorry its so long I hope it makes sense and I'm not rambling too much !

I think maybe we should PM Any Details about meetings or dates venues or times and not broadcast on the board

i'm going to ring ACS tomo and if i get told to ring back i'm going to ring my solicitor for a chat, see what she recomends. I'm going to ask ASC to give me an extra two months cover free of charge as i've been ringing up since January. been away all weekend and trying to catch up on post now, what this about journalist quoting us?

so whats the story girls,do we go tog.. or go it alone.

pm before 11.am monday

love roe

Hi All,

Just a quick note to say I'm back from Belgium and doing good. Everything went well with the procedure and the treatment and care I received in Belgium was excellent. I still have some pain around the port incision but I know thats the biggest incision and will take the most time to heal. Enjoying the feeling of not being hungry and have dropped a few pounds already!!

Good luck to everyone dealing with ACS!!

Elsie

Elsie hi terry here I met u at the meeting, I forgot your name and it was Alaicia who told me it was you,I am so glad you got the band done the weight will fall off now, I was looking in going over to Belgium for some Lipo, do you no if they do it in that hospital. talk later

Hi All,

Just a quick note to say I'm back from Belgium and doing good. Everything went well with the procedure and the treatment and care I received in Belgium was excellent. I still have some pain around the port incision but I know thats the biggest incision and will take the most time to heal. Enjoying the feeling of not being hungry and have dropped a few pounds already!!

Good luck to everyone dealing with ACS!!

Elsie

Hi Elsie,

Welcome home and welcome to the losing side. :eek::lol: I'm delighted you're feeling so well. Take it easy though, don't do too much too soon. Keep us posted on your progress.:)

Elsie hi terry here I met u at the meeting, I forgot your name and it was Alaicia who told me it was you,I am so glad you got the band done the weight will fall off now, I was looking in going over to Belgium for some Lipo, do you no if they do it in that hospital. talk later

Hiya Terry,

If you look back on page 42-43 there is some info about the hospital from Ellen who is thinking of PS there. Here is a copy of what she told me.......

Coco

You were asking about cost of arm lift. With the guy Im going to its carried out in a hospital not a clinic and it costs 2200 Euro under sedation (not general anaesthetic). He's got lots of fans on wlsinfo and is in the same hospital as Chris de Bruyne. Full body liposculpture (as opposed to liposuction which apparently is riskier, involves more bruising and more pain) costs 2500 and Tummy Tuck with muscle repair (which incidentally shrinks your waist by at least 4 inches) costs 2700. In due course I'll report back as regards the pain element.....don't actually care about the pain - just want to see bucketfulls of fat being hoovered out!!!!!

Ellen

I hope that's helpful but if you PM Ellen I'm sure she'll tell you all she can.:)

hi guys dosnt seem to be to many up for a meeting. well have to say bye bye to that for now.