Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can i take pepto bismol? Like that wnt hurt the band will it? I have serious gas pains thats suddenly got worse and no one in the office at this hour for me to ask. Ouch desperate

Gas x is what many of us were advised by our doctors to take. You should really follow what your doc instructed you to do. However, it is my personal opinion that pepto should be ok.

The band is around your stomach, not inside your stomach. Pepto Bismol will flow through like a shake so I see no problem with it?

I can't imagine how Pepto would hurt you or your band, but it's not what I'd use for gas pains. I've tried Gas-X and it didn't help. Mostly you need patience. Depending on how long it's been since your surgery and whether you still have freshly healing incisions, you could try this advice that a nurse gave me years ago. Drape yourself across an armless chair, with your abdomen on the seat of the chair, and rock gently back and forth and side to side. About 75% of the time, that helps get the gas moving in the right direction (though you might not want to do this in polite company).

This is the time for walking! Incorporate the elbows, like a Russian soldier,

I don't know why, but Pepto Bismol is on my "DO NOT TAKE" list of post op meds. But check with your own doctor; he may have different protocols.

Thank u all for ur responses. I am on day 10 after surgery, first few days i had watery stool, now much of nothing and stomach is still real bloated. I took some gas x gels this morning because almost EVERYONE on the site talks about taking them. I nvr hear anyone talking about pepto. My dr only discussed major meds not to take like ibprofin. Theres noone in office amd i didnt want to call emergency line lol i will try those xhair exercises and see if the gas x helps. Thanks!!

If your pain suddenly got worse, I think the after hours call should be one to call and verify that you're not mixing signals up.

For me, I had to take 2 of the gas x chewables at a time. One would not help. I also depended on a heating pad for my shoulder. If you can, walking helped me too.

I use the Gas X strips Extra Strength. Dosage on box is 2-4. I start with 3 and if no relief within 10 minutes then I take the 4th. The nurse told me to lie on my left side slightly to relieve gas pains. This ALWAYS works and no chance of injury

Yea i think it got worse bcuz im eating full liquids now and need to pass gas or use bathroom. Still using heating pad walking and laying on my left. pills must have helped bcuz i did go to the bathroom a little today. Woot! Victory! Lol

Pepto has an ingredient similar to aspirin in it, so may not be so good for your tummy.

Good old post op gas. I got lucky after my lap band surgery, my surgeon did a really good job getting the gas out. I had almost no discomfort from gas. I had left shoulder discomfort but that was thinks to the hiatal hernia repair I had done. I lived on a heating pad for a couple of weeks, thanks to that. Nearly cooked my shoulder because I over did it. :P

I had surgery in March of last year and I wasn't so lucky in the gas department. The gas pains were pretty uncomfortable. A couple of things that helped me were walking, windmilling my arms, and bending at the waist, side to side, then back to front, then round and round. I did it as much as I could, as often as possible, as vigorously as I could, without hurting myself to move that stubborn gas out. I had one big bubble that settled in under my rib cage on my right side and just freaking sat there for a couple of weeks. I couldn't dislodge it, for the life of me. Deep breaths, coughing, sneezing, yikes! Boy, was it a relief when I finally managed to get that damned gas bubble to disperse!

Don't give up. Be persistent, you'll get rid of the pesky stuff, eventually. It's still early days, you are still healing and you will feel much better, soon. :)