Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

More Pre-op Questions....

So, my surgery is 2/3 and I feel like I have new questions every single day and I hope you guys don't mind :)

Protein shake - I have the starter kit coming from powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury......did you guys just do trial and error before surgery in terms of Protein shakes or did you wait until after you had the surgery? I'm assuming I should probably have one in place for recovery. I just don't really know where to start in terms of finding one that I may like. I'm not sure if Unjury will be the one for me since I would prefer to have a ready to drink shake. Any thoughts, ideas or tips? should I just go by several different kinds from the store and sample them prior to surgery?

I know almost everyone gets the "buyers remorse" and I'm wondering if that's something that kicks in just a few days after surgery or if it comes later down the line? How long do those feelings usually linger around for or how long did they linger for you?

Lastly (for now lol), how long after the surgery did it take for you to feel "normal" again?

Thank you so much you guys as you have given me some really good feedback in terms of all the questions that I've asked and it is greatly appreciated :)

As for RTD drinks most people prefer the Premier Protein drinks (30g protein). I use that and Isopure zero carb drinks (40g protein). I pretty much knew what I would want after my two week pre op diet. I really haven't done much with Protein powders.< /p>

I felt pretty normal after 2 weeks or so. Once in a while I have a weird day where I feel kind of icky, but that is rare. I never had buyer's remorse. I healed up quickly and never got nauseated. I've only puked once when I forgot and took a huge drink of Water right after eating a full meal.

As for RTD drinks most people prefer the Premier Protein drinks (30g protein). I use that and Isopure zero carb drinks (40g protein). I pretty much knew what I would want after my two week pre op diet. I really haven't done much with Protein powders.< /p>

I felt pretty normal after 2 weeks or so. Once in a while I have a weird day where I feel kind of icky, but that is rare. I never had buyer's remorse. I healed up quickly and never got nauseated. I've only puked once when I forgot and took a huge drink of Water right after eating a full meal.

Thanks for the response! Where can you get those drinks? Are they in a store or something you have to order online?

Thank you

I had gotten the starter kit from unjury and sample packets from (bjs bariatrics website )Syntrax. I also have pure Protein powder(store bought).

I tried them all while on my pre op diet...they saved me and kept me going each day..the different tastes they all gave were a nice change.

Post op, they all tasted the same to me. But you won't feel up to much of anything besides clear thin liquids for a few days or a week or two. All depends on your sleeve and recovery. I had and still have a very tight sleeve..even at 3 months post op. It was swollen shut post op for the first couple days and I couldn't take anything in.. (that doesn't seem to be the norm tho)

I started to feel human again about a week n a half 2 weeks. I wasn't a fan of the Clear Liquids stage at all..but trudged threw it and followed the plan.

Once I was allowed the shakes again was when I felt better for sure. I never had buyers remorse as they say...I just really disliked the Clear Liquids stage.

I have followed my plan to a T and have had great results so far. 3 months post op and I've lost 48% or 68 pounds.

Now, for Breakfast I have either a rtd pure Protein shake (target or walmart) or I will add a scoop of Syntrax cookie flavor to my cooled coffee.

Good luck with your journey!

Edited by gomekast

Post op most Drs mainly worry about getting your fluids in. Not Protein. The first 2 weeks are usually focused on keeping you hydrated above all else.

I tried a variety of shakes and most were disgusting to me, made me sick or the texture was too difficult. I found the RTD Premier and Muscle Milk the only ones I can stand. I try and stick with the Premier Bc it has the most Protein.

A lot of people like Isopure. It counts as a clear liquid and is packed with protein. I couldn't deal with it. To me, it was nasty as heck.

I am sticking with the Premier and Muscle Milk

Hey there -- I'm a little over six weeks out, and down a little over 49 pounds. I've not had one moment of buyer's remorse, and that's likely because for me, this surgery has hardly been a disruption. I took liquid pain meds for about 4 day post-op, and I had the typical muscular tenderness around my largest incision until just before three weeks post-op, but nothing that left me incapacitated. That tenderness disappeared right before the 3 week mark, and other than having restriction when I eat, I don't even feel like I've had surgery.

I, too, very much disliked the full liquids stage just because I missed chewing, but I had zero trouble straight out of surgery taking in all of my Water and 85g of Protein per day on average (never less than 60g, and only occasionally 100-105g/day). During full liquids, I found some easy-to-prepare savory Soups in which I mixed unflavored Protein powder. Additionally, I've enjoyed the same unflavored Protein Powder mixed with Water and Crystal Lite. I've also been drinking Premier Protein shakes cold and plain or mixed with a tablespoon of PB2. So, so good.

Edited by VSG AJH

I get the Premier Protein from Kroger (local grocery) but you can also get it at costco or Sam's or on Amazon. The Isopure I order from GNC.com. It is also available at GNC stores.

My surgeons office suggestions bariactic advantage however kind of pricey. Other option they suggested is carnations Breakfast drink sugar free. Will start my liquids sunday 1/19 and surgery 1/30 yikes getting little nervous.....

My surgeons office suggestions bariactic advantage however kind of pricey. Other option they suggested is carnations breakfast drink sugar free. Will start my liquids sunday 1/19 and surgery 1/30 yikes getting little nervous.....

I'd buy just a very few samples of the Bariatric Advantage. They upset my stomach something awful and taste like ass.

@gomekast

Thank you so much for your post and all your tips!!! I just now noticed you are from MN too :)

I have to start my Protein shakes on day 4 post-op. I am going tonight and get all the stuff I need for my 3 week clear liquid diet portion of post-op and getting a few different Protein Shakes to sample.

Looks like you're doing awesome!!! Super happy for you!!!

Thanks again for your input!

My surgeons office suggestions bariactic advantage however kind of pricey. Other option they suggested is carnations Breakfast drink sugar free. Will start my liquids sunday 1/19 and surgery 1/30 yikes getting little nervous.....

wow, you're just a few days before me!!! I am 2/3! I am off tonight to get a few Protein drinks to try and the stuff needed for my 3 weeks of Clear Liquids post-op! All the best to you and stay in touch since our dates are so close!!!

Hey there -- I'm a little over six weeks out, and down a little over 49 pounds. I've not had one moment of buyer's remorse, and that's likely because for me, this surgery has hardly been a disruption. I took liquid pain meds for about 4 day post-op, and I had the typical muscular tenderness around my largest incision until just before three weeks post-op, but nothing that left me incapacitated. That tenderness disappeared right before the 3 week mark, and other than having restriction when I eat, I don't even feel like I've had surgery.

I, too, very much disliked the full liquids stage just because I missed chewing, but I had zero trouble straight out of surgery taking in all of my Water and 85g of Protein per day on average (never less than 60g, and only occasionally 100-105g/day). During full liquids, I found some easy-to-prepare savory Soups in which I mixed unflavored Protein powder. Additionally, I've enjoyed the same unflavored Protein Powder mixed with Water and Crystal Lite. I've also been drinking Premier Protein shakes cold and plain or mixed with a tablespoon of PB2. So, so good.

Thank you SOOOO much for your post!!! I hope mine goes as smoothly as yours. It sounds like you're doing amazing!!! YAY!!! :) A few questions - what are "savory soups" and what is PB2?

I definitely recommend premier Protein. That is all I could drink.. I am 6 months out and the first week I had a little buyers remorse but only because of the nasty liquid meds. They were so hard for me to choke down and felt like they were burning my throat and I literally barely slept for a week. But I would do it again in a heart beat. I also couldn't drink straight Water. I still have a hard time I drink power are zero and crystal light.

Hope you have a smooth recovery. Good luck !!!

Thank you, @Cindymaried !!!!

Sounds like you've done great!! I am expecting the worst, so hopefully I surprise myself with how easy it is LOL

I am off to hunt down some Premier Protein tonight! :)

Here's a tip for Clear Liquids. Plain old chicken broth is practically tasteless. I used plain chicken broth and simmered it on the stove with a bit of dried rosemary and thyme for 15-20 min. and then added a smidge of Better than Bouillon. It is so savory and delicious and will soothe your tummy both before and after surgery. I strained out the bits of herbs after surgery. It was my go to food and counts toward you liquids, too.