Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help a Noob out...Please?

I’ve been considering this since last summer. When I first looked into it, the insurance I had at the time would only cover 20% - EEP! So that didn’t happen. Now I am double insured and I expect that about 80+% will be covered. SO I have been looking back into the possibility - and, of course, I am now 20 heavier than I was when I started looking into it, and now qualify at the 43BMI without any additional medical issues. Yay me (read loads of sarcasm into that last comment).

I set up a consult next week with the surgeon to discuss options, but I want to hear from people who have had the Vertical sleeve and what your thoughts are.

• Here are a few of my concerns:
  • I have 2 girls, 2 and 4. I need to be able to care for them, even post op. How out of commission will I be? How weak will I be?
  • I also work full time, granted, I’m at my desk, and it is very low impact, but I know that during recovery, it can still be rough just moving. How soon would I be able to get back to work? I can’t be off work for long due to $$ and wanting to keep my job.
  • I have had a hernia repaired on my abdomen by the same surgical group that would be performing this surgery, so I am fairly confident about their abilities, but what questions should I be asking??

Any additional advice would be VERY welcome.

.... and coffee…I NEED COFFE - like I need air…what have you done to help with your coffee addiction?

You need to read all of the information on this site for new patients. As far as the pain associated with the surgery it varies by the person. I had no none nata complications or problems with the surgery whatsoever. I went into the OR at 8:30, was in surgery for 1.5 hours because I was so big it was alot of work to do the sleeve. I was only in recovery for about 45 minutes and the nurse asked how I was doing and I said great so they took me up to my room. I walked every two hours, drank the 8 minicups of Water every two hours and the took away my morphine pump because I didn't use it at all. I was discharged from the hospital at 9:30 the next morning and I went home. The only discomfort I had was one incision would pull a little when I rolled over in bed so I took about 3 doses of the liquid lortab. I is still on the bathroom sink and and need to throw it away cause it is just sitting there. I have lost 101 pounds in a little over 5 months I am off all of my BP, chlorestol meds and my insulin pump. My blood work is all normal and I feel great. I was able to get after it within a day after coming home from the hospital. I have not had any complications other than I now have low blood pressure. I have seen some people that have alot of anxiety about the surgery get a little whiney but truthfully if you had a hernia repair I would say that the pain and recovery from a gastric sleeve would be easier than that. Cutting the stomach down to 1/8 of of size it was is no big deal at all. Get your head in the game follow the rules and enjoy and your new body. It is worth it girl especially for you two lovely children. Good luck and email me anytime, Mark Thomas

Thanks so much for posting that Penman! It wasn't my inquiry you were answering, but it was good to read since i'm hoping for a May surgery date, and hoping to be as complication free and drama free as yours was. What an amazing weight loss you've had too. Anything you think you're doing differently than those losing less than you? It's good to start getting my head in the game, as you say, and planning for a new way of living and new rules.

Hi PD, Post op for the first few days I was in the hospital. Likely you will need to find someone to care for your children during this time. I was quite weak too due to the lack of food and nutrients I was getting though it wasn't dibilitating. I was back to work in about 3 weeks for what I recall.

You should ask every single question that comes to your mind. Keep a note pad with you, so you won't forget any. Write them down as soon as you can. Our brains can zoom a mile a minute during the pre-op phase with so much data and information! It will be easy to forget what you wanted to ask.

As far as coffee, wean off it slowly. It took me an entire month to function without it. Going all at once you will find yourself miserably and all headache-y. No reason to put yourself through any extra misery when it can be prevented.

One last thing you should know: This is NOT the easy way out. Your life is not going to miraculously become better post-op or once you reach your goal. You will have to work really hard to get to goal and you will have to work even harder to stay there.

That said, I do not regret getting my surgery! It has saved me from gaining all my weight back and more like the old days. But I can eat a lot of bad foods if I don't watch myself. I can't eat too much of the good stuff though. So food choices will be super important.

Good luck! If you ever need any questions asked, I'm around. :)

Everyone loses weight differently. I personally have seen med lose weight faster than women. Not always but from what I have seen. Also don't let one persons weight loss deter from your journey. All peoples is different. I'm sorry about the original post. When I told your about my experience I was hoping to show you how it could be not how it always is.

Thank you to everyone for the replies!! I have no delusions that this will be a quick fix. I'm hoping it will help

Me keep in line and get to where I want to be, as has been said a hundred times before, a tool.

I want all the help I can get to gety mind and body into healthier shape.

Penman53, thank you, and my recovery from the hernia surgery was actually really quick, so that is encouraging!

I don't mean to be whiney in any way, so be sure to give me a swift kick if I do. Except for the coffee withdrawal, I'm actually looking forward to this next adventure.

I had my surgery three months ago. I'm a stay at home mom and at the time my kids were 4 and 16 months. I went in the hospital on Wednesday for my surgery and I was home Thursday afternoon. The pain was not horrible but the anesthesia really did a number on me. I was pretty tired and had that "run over by a bus" feeling for a day or two. I did the little things around the house but my hubs did most of it. By Monday he was back to work and I was back to taking my son to preschool. I'd say a good week out of work would have been good for me if I had to go back. Hope this helps!!! Good luck with everything!!!!

Everyone's experience is different. I have seen some need a full six weeks off of work. I have a desk job and took one week. That was perfect for me! I was shopping on day four (though hubby pushed the cart) and back to walking when I returned to work on day seven. I have a three year old and go to school full time as well. Long recovery - ain't got no time for that! Lol!

I'm nine mos post op now. 110, about 40 to go.

Penman53, thank you, and my recovery from the hernia surgery was actually really quick, so that is encouraging!

I don't mean to be whiney in any way, so be sure to give me a swift kick if I do. Except for the coffee withdrawal, I'm actually looking forward to this next adventure.

I drank Decaf for the preop portion of my journey. I continued for about two months. I then went back to regular coffee. No problems at all. I don't drink as much as I used to usually only one or two cups a day but I really enjoy them now as I do with everything in life. Good luck girl, you going to be fine.