Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fear of not losing enough weight

Does anyone fear not losing weight with VSG? Or that you won't lose enough to make the surgery worth it? Or fear that you'll mess up with postop eating? Overall I'm feeling pretty set on having surgery, I just have these fears swirling around.

Has anyone had surgery and felt like they didn't lose enough to make it worth it? Or that people didn't notice?

I'm not sure how much I want to lose, but considering my starting point, I would benefit from losing 150-200lbs, which seems so daunting and honestly, nearly impossible.

Any insight is much appreciated.

I did feel that way, but now I am so glad I did it. Wouldn't change a thing. I am losing a little every week and I am so happy. Some days are harder that others but over all it has been a positive change. I think your fears are normal.

I am very much afraid of all of those things and I use that fear to keep me following the rules that my surgeon and dietician laid down for me. I also read the posts here from people who are having trouble losing weight due to their poor eating choices, or dealing with re-gain, and I use those posts to keep the fear burning. Sometimes fear is a healthy thing. I am like you and also need to lose somewhere between 150-200 from my starting weight. My terror of not doing it has kept me on track and I am down 145 lbs so far. While I am afraid of somehow stopping losing, my rational brain knows that if I stay on track and follow the very rigid rules laid down for me, I will lose the weight I need to lose. So far my weight loss has been very steady and I feel like I am getting closer and closer to my goal.

Edited by Bufflehead

I think at one point or another most of us have been plagued by thoughts of this not working. Why should it, nothing else has ever worked. We all lose at different paces, but we lose. You do your best, follow what your doctor/nut tells you and you can't fail.

I have not regretted one moment. Its a process and work and it will take time. Commit to eating right and exercising.. you can't fail this time, you are armed with a great tool to help you.

I had mine right at 10 weeks ago today, and I constantly have that fear. I've seen friends who were successful at it and some who weren't. I just try to keep a clear mind about it. I lost 120lbs on my own years ago (in 2011) but gained it all but 5lbs back. It taught me a lesson!!

That is completeley normal. The majority of us I would estimate have been through every diet known to man and did really well, until we went off the diet and all those lbs we worked so hard to get off came back so fast!

I don't know what I would have been at today if not for the surgery. I had given up on dieting as I could not do another failure. I think mentally the failure is harder than the weight...at least in my case.

So, yes, I would think the majority of people have that fear, but each day convinces you that yes you can lose weight, yes you can keep it off.

Hang in there!

I am 7 months post op and have lost 83 pounds so far. This would not have happened without my sleeve to help me. I have tried it all only to regain what I lost plus more. I still have some to lose and I am confident that it will happen. I will tell you the one thing I am learning at this point in my journey. In the first 6 months you have to really identify what needs to be improved upon in your life to continue this for the rest of your life. When the losing slows down you have to call upon your own strength and learned knowledge to stay successful. Losing will continue but it will be more dependent on your ability to squelch your old habits. With that said you do grow stronger and develop habits that make this easier than before the surgery. You also find yourself yearning your old foods and have to fight that. Basically cravings for foods really never go away but if you have learned to eat healthier and replace those old foods it is much easier to say no to the old ones. I love my new life and still crave some old ways but the difference now is I can say NO to the old stuff much easier than I ever could. You can do this and will love what you did for yourself! :)

I am 4 weeks post op and I am currently at a stall. I am so fearful of not losing. My nut says it is normal not to lose week 2-4 because the diet is designed to help heal the stomach. But in my brain, ev 1 around who had the surgery is losing except me. Why? Maybe because I want it so much. I will see what happens this weekend after the bloating goes away. Need I say more? I want to tuck my shirt in my pants without seeing that extra roll under my stomach. Ugghhhh!!!! I hate this feeling.

I am absolutely afraid to weigh because I fear the number has not moved. I'm doing everything right and my clothes are falling off of me but I am absolutely fearful that I am not losing weight or I'll be the one this procedure doesn't work for.