Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Failed Lap Band after 7 years

My lap band story begins 7 years ago. My surgery was my birthday gift to "me". The weight loss was slow, but I successfully lost 70 lbs off of my 5'2" frame. My weight topped off at 223 lbs. I looked "hot" and was so proud of myself. I did hit road blocks along the way and I eventually had to have some fill removed. I was very diligent and followed all the rules.

I teach exercise classes 3 times per week. I still have restriction, but I can consume more than a cup of food at a meal. I'm frustrated and I've given up. I would consider gastric sleeve surgery, but I don't believe I would qualify. I want my size 10 back, but stella just can't get her groove back. What is the deal!

Chris from Ocala, Fl.

I guess Im not understanding your question? You had your band removed? Forgive me I am a gastric bypass gal, so 'removing fill' isn't familiar to me? Im assuming you did have it remove if your considering the Sleeve, right? O

It sounds like you just need a fill and focus on eating healthy. Even if you get the sleeve or bypass, you have to follow the rules. And if your band isn't adjusted properly you most likely won't follow the rules. That's why we all got banded. None of us are good at following diets and that's what you're on now unless you get your band adjusted. imo

tmf

You can definitely get back on track. I am sure that fifty percent of people who have weight loss surgery after time want to give up. You want to eat that cake or pizza or sweets or salty. I have issues with sugar and will binge like crazy if I have just one bite. I have no control so I stay away from it. You can do this. You came this far to not go back to where you began. Get motivated and think how much better you felt at your lowest weight.

Reading your post, it appears you answered your own question...you had some setbacks, resulting in Fluid being removed from the band, and now you can eat more than you should....

Which in my case anyway, is the reason I had the surgery...to control my eating...otherwise....

I am at that "perfect balance" where, for me, I have found just the right amount of restriction, and I have changed my habits..all the bad ones....to where I now live an effortless weight free life...never to diet again, and personally I have no fear of ever gaining any weight back..it is impossible for me to overeat....

I am also convinced, and fear...that if I should encounter some sort of ailment, or medical condition to where I would have to get even the slightest amount of Fluid taken out that would disrupt that perfect balance....

I have been reading many posts here over the years, about people "Failing"...gaining weight back, etc...and in many of these posts the person states something happened, by no fault of their own, and had to get fluid taken out of their band....

As a side note, when I read about people "Following the Rules"....which rules are they referring to?

There are Rules for dieters...same rules I have been taught for the last 30 years on how to loose weight following certain criteria regarding calories, eating techniques, portion sizes, etc....Jenny Craig has rules, Weight Watchers have rules....

Then there are "Rules" that apply to how you have to behave in order to exist with the band...do not follow these rules, would be unpleasant, and probably result in getting fluid taken out of the band....one would not be able to survive with a functioning band and not adhere to certain rules....people need to change their behavior in order to find that balance with the band...and that is achieved by adhering to certain rules.....eventually these become 2nd nature...the new normal, after time.

If I did not follow THESE certain rules, I would not be able to get through a meal...or, I would have stuck episodes frequently....the rules in themselves do not allow me to loose weight...the band does that...the rules are there for me in order to live with the band...

My weight loss center had me learning these rules even before being banded...I challenged them on some of them stating they made no sense...their response was learn them now, start to learn new habits.....because as you get your band adjusted in the next few months, they will start to become very important to you in order to be successful....and then they will make perfect sense.....

Edited by B-52

I think that everyone has answered your questions. I just want to wish you best of luck. Getting back on track can be tricky. As b-52 said, maybe just a slight fill will help. Karen..aka.kll724

so in reality your band has not failed... Getting re-motivated is difficult but you can get a fill and restart... Best of Luck to you in the future.. We are all here to help you.

My lap band story begins 7 years ago. My surgery was my birthday gift to "me". The weight loss was slow, but I successfully lost 70 lbs off of my 5'2" frame. My weight topped off at 223 lbs. I looked "hot" and was so proud of myself. I did hit road blocks along the way and I eventually had to have some fill removed. I was very diligent and followed all the rules.

I teach exercise classes 3 times per week. I still have restriction, but I can consume more than a cup of food at a meal. I'm frustrated and I've given up. I would consider gastric sleeve surgery, but I don't believe I would qualify. I want my size 10 back, but stella just can't get her groove back. What is the deal!

Chris from Ocala, Fl.

This happens to a LOT of long term bandsters we get complacent and forget the rules, because honestly many of use get tired of restriction! I found myself in the same predicament.

If it was me I would go back to my surgeons office and have them check the band for any pouch dilation, this is a common late long term complication especially if we find we can eat more food.....

Sometimes 'rebooting' the band can help, sometimes you may have to get some saline removed for about 6 weeks let the stomach rest and start refilling to reset the pouch......

Chris from Ocala, Fl.

call stella on the phone and say its time to get her groove back and then do it.......back to band basics, eating better foods, in the band portions, exercising and (doing)....to quit means give up....you posting shows me you did not give up.......so pick yourself up.....put on a pair of high heels, head up, shoulders back and make yourself well and go get that size 10....you did it once so you know HOW........

all the best cookie :)

I am newly banded and I definitely have restriction, but not at the green zone yet. I am not losing weight but maintaining at the moment. I hope with my next fill, I get to the green zone or closer and start losing. I think a fill may help you too.

Hey Chris I just noticed you are from Ocala.. I am in N. Florida up near Lake City.. I come to Ocala often maybe we can get together sometime.. I will be glad to be your support or band buddy... let me know you can private message me...

Hi, I became complacent in year 4 and had a bad slip. Removed in 2/2013 and went wild with food. Gained all 100 lbs back. Newly rebanded 1/14/14. 2 days post op...hope a stay focus long term this this.

This happens to a LOT of long term bandsters we get complacent and forget the rules, because honestly many of use get tired of restriction! I found myself in the same predicament. If it was me I would go back to my surgeons office and have them check the band for any pouch dilation, this is a common late long term complication especially if we find we can eat more food..... Sometimes 'rebooting' the band can help, sometimes you may have to get some saline removed for about 6 weeks let the stomach rest and start refilling to reset the pouch......

I was Banded 12/22/10 & being re-banded on 2/11/14. I have lost a total of 107 lbs & very happy with my choice to have the band. Last summer I had a stomach virus & the vomiting caused band to slip. All Fluid was removed & band went back into place on its own. Nevertheless for the past few months I'm hungry & can eat more (this is with my band filled to the maximum). My Surgeon said for some/most people after a slip the Band never really goes back to the original state that it was (my sweet spot/green zone). He gave me the option of the sleeve or another band.... Well I chose the Band because I'm happy with it, I know how it works with my body & I saw no need to cut out a portion of my stomach. I'm not saying NEVER to the sleeve, but right now NO.