Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I am 6months post op...

Just a bit scared and paranoid at the moment that im going to stretch my stomach...

Hows everyone handling food and Fluid intake and do we need to still sip our fluids or are we able to drink properly now n how much at a time? Last thing I want to do is stretch my stomach coz im drinking too much at once.

If you can swallow it without pain then you can drink faster then you used to...I almost drink like I used to except I hold less Water in my mouth at a time...

some people will always sip, sip and sip...Me nope I can drink it down fairly fast now!

I can also drink pretty much as before but I do make the effort to take smaller mouthfuls. I still don't drink and eat at the same time, never will, and it's now a habit as my nut says that can stretch your stomach over time- it also allows you to eat more.

As for the amounts of food I can eat, I can definitely eat more now than even two months ago. But I still feel a restriction once I get to a certain point so continue to eat Protein first and in starter size/small main portions.

You shouldn't worry about stretching your sleeve. Unless you regularly overeat to the point of feeling pain, even if you drink more, you should be ok. Every sleeve relaxes a bit as time goes on, just be sensible and you should be fine :-)

Edited by Indigo1991

Your capcity will increase over time naturally and it's not because you've "stretched" your stomach with fluids. As Indigo1991 mentioned, you would need to be overeating to the point of extreme pain and discomfort many many times over to do any real "damage" to your restriction in the longrun.

I am approx. 20 months post-op and I can "chug" fluids now, though out of habit, I do reserve some in my mouth and swallow in more normal gulps.

Everyone's healing time is different and progresses at a different pace. You will notice your capacity, tolerance and reaction to different foods will change over time, even well past the 1 year mark (I still see changes now, after 20 months). As a general rule, it is good to get the "lay of the land" from other people, but always remember you are unique and cannot compare yourself directlying to anyone else here (even if they have same height/weight/surgery date, etc.).

there is a guide somewhere... you can probably ask your surgeon...the one I remember is the Protein (fish/meat/chicken) would be about the size of a deck of cards... since Protein is the most important, thats the one I remember; so when we go out, I cut my portion and then get a "to-go" box for the rest for lunch the next day :) I know that's just a little thing, but hope it helps

Edited by BigGirlPanties

I don't have it in front of me but I believe my guidelines are months 1-6=1/4c, 6-12=1/2c and 1yr+=1cup tho I've seen folks taking 1/2 cup at same stage as me per their surgeons guidelines, that being said every doctor is different...did you get a binder or could you call! I'm 8 weeks out and just starting real food so I'm still super careful about measuring tho I do have signals when I'm full. I wouldn't worry too much (I can guzzle Water too without thinking and my surgeon said it's fine bc depending on the prior shape of your stomach, the sleeve may allow water to pass straight through, mine is nearly vertical so this is what happens and said it's a-ok! I do try to drink slow but sometimes I catch myself doing it lol!

good thread.