Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what do you do when you are stuck?

Besised the obvious to not get stuck, chew better, smaller bites, etc. When you are stuck what do you do? I dont get stuck that often but am just figuring out a way to get unstuck asap. The last time I got stuck I found myself trying to do all kind of things like bending down to touch my toes, putting my arms above my head, trying to sip Water, but ultimately In the end I end up panicking and just leaning over the sink, or garbage can and letting the slime roll. It took about 20 minutes the last time I was stuck, nothing ever came out but slime. But my goodness its a long 20 minutes.

So what do you do if you are stuck??

Ps I am not currently stuck, just want some info.

Oh how I do not like getting stuck!! I usually can just stand up and tap my chest area and it will go down. Otherwise I just spit in the sink and let the slime happen. It has only happened a few times but it hurts and is so uncomfortable. That being said I think of it as a friendly reminder to eat slower and chew more!! The one thing that DOES NOT work for me is drinking anything. It made it worse when I tried it!

1. Patience and deep breathing.

2. Resolve to avoid future stuck episodes. Prevention is crucial. I know you already mentioned these things, but they bear repeating: careful food choices, slower eating, smaller bites, chewing each bite more thoroughly.

3. Some people say that chewing a few papaya enzyme tablets helps, but that never worked for me.

4. Some people say that drinking a hot liquid helps, but that not only didn't help me, it also made me power-PB.

5. Some people say that drinking warm pineapple juice helps, but my reaction was the same as #4.

6. Ask your surgeon.

Edited by Jean McMillan

at first i just sit there, especially through the pain up the sternum part. about 5 min's after the pain i wait and than i just plain give up. i will go to the bathroom where i drink enough Water that sometimes it makes what is stuck go through or causes enough slime and liquid so i pb. most of the time whatever is there unlodges. for the next couple of intakes i make sure with liquids that i am not swollen. i have never vomited though. i also never have reflux. tonight i was in the car and took a bite of some takeout which i knew i shouldn't have and of course i got the sternum pain. since i was driving i did do the left armed chicken flap to make the pain go away and it did. i than just had a bag ready just in case i pb'd . which i didn't. so i suppose as with everything its something that is personal just to you.

Besised the obvious to not get stuck, chew better, smaller bites, etc. When you are stuck what do you do? I dont get stuck that often but am just figuring out a way to get unstuck asap. The last time I got stuck I found myself trying to do all kind of things like bending down to touch my toes, putting my arms above my head, trying to sip Water, but ultimately In the end I end up panicking and just leaning over the sink, or garbage can and letting the slime roll. It took about 20 minutes the last time I was stuck, nothing ever came out but slime. But my goodness its a long 20 minutes.

So what do you do if you are stuck??

Ps I am not currently stuck, just want some info.

Well...it depends on the level of stuckness...haha is that a word :P

If I just have some minor discomfort and feel like food is sitting in my chest -- I will chew some papaya enzymes and this will break the food up.....

If I have really goofed, and took a bite too big --- IT'S TOO LATE for papaya enzymes because at this point my mouth is watering and I just let the SLIME BEGAN.... :blink: ...some people have bad gag reflex and will vomit....I DO NOT VOMIT I've trained myself enough to NOT put pressure on my band and prevent Pbing.. there is a special technique I use, once the slimming began that I use,

I take a deep breath, and start spitting in the toilet or sink, I allow the slime to come out and sometimes I can SLIME for 10 minutes! And during my slimming sometimes it HURTS because the food is trying to go down and sometimes messaging the middle of my chest right between my breast push the food on down and I don't PB or vomit...I have NOT vomited once since I had my new band....but I have slimmed a few times and my lap band is TIGHT....

With my old band, I have been stuck to the point of obstruction, I made a mistake and swallowed a pill and sipped a very cold Protein drink on my way to work....to make a long story short, that pill got caught in my chest and I ended up in the ER because it was cutting off my breath..I ended up vomited about 10 times before the pill came up...very scary!

With my old band, I have been so hosed up to the point of being stuck for HOURS!! vomiting several times...horrible situations....

When you are hosed up to the point of obstruction, papaya pills are no good, when the band is extremely tight papaya pills are no good because the only thing you can do is vomit your food back up to relieve the pressure...and this is why keeping a too tight band is dangerous because eventually after all the frequent vomiting...you can damage the band and cause pouch dilation and slippage....

Edited by NaNa

Thanks for all the replies. I never like to get stuck, not something I ever look forward too. I try to avoid things like this at all cost, but when it does happen my Band reminds me who's boss and whips me right back in shape lol. I was just curious to know what others did.

Earlier recognition 'stuck' is pending helps minimize my own episodes.

"Keep eating" in the suspicious time 'not all is right' is NOT helpful at all.

Neither is issuing Words of Power invoking the numerous names of the Cretins in charge of all Perfidy in the universe.....

So.....my steps are

1) stop everything, relax, assess what you believe just happened.

2) Within a few minutes the degree of misery becomes obvious.

3) Willingly prepare for the ineveitable 'expulsing of the offending wad'. Most often this is several globs of slime followed by a separate solid wad of something that curiously remains identifyably unchewed. Again.

4) Most episodes are over & done within about 20 mintues.

Rarely is there any lasting irritation of the Os. A little sip of warm Water sometimes soothes the internals.

Most often my appetite has been interupted but may return within the hour.

I retreat to softer foods for a day or so.

Sometimes it is confusing in trying to assess just WHAT caused the event.

Most often I find some mistake in the early phase of that eating period....as in yesterday, trying to finish the 1/2 sandwich from lunch.

Somehow within the first few swallows (yes I was hungry and ate TOO FAST) that sensation manifested warning to STOP eating.

In the early years of postBand, I didn't recongize this signal and despite a certain unrest, would continue. Too late.

Other than the excellent points above in AVOID whatever produces such events, I've adopted a "learn to slime/PB gracefully" method.

This includes walking around outside and unloading in the bushes if necessary. Sometimes just taking a little break, walking around and relaxing will resolve the issue for me.

Edited by Jack

It's not the right thing to do, but when I get super stuck to the point of misery. I drink an Alka selzer or coke. A glass of wine will relax you. Use this only if it's the weekend or you too far away to get an unfill. Malox works good

I prefer the "floating" method to twice a bad stick. I ate a bite of potato with skin and got stuck. I was in the car and was sliming for almost 2 hrs spitting into an empty cup. Finally stopped and went to a bathroom with a bottle of Water and sipped the water to float the skin back out. It's like a pb it it's less violent than as actual vomiting. I don't recommend it unless as needed... Easier to just avoid the skins on things.

I used to go into the bathroom, and drink some water...does not take much....sure enough, since it has no where to go, it will all come back up and out...may take more than one to clear it all out....I usually felt pretty good afterwards....

It's not the right thing to do, but when I get super stuck to the point of misery. I drink an Alka selzer or coke. A glass of wine will relax you. Use this only if it's the weekend or you too far away to get an unfill. Malox works good

I agree, it's not something you want to do...

I tried to drink cold and hot Water, I would have to say that nasty hot water seemed to work a little, but It just sucks overall to be stuck. I am listening to my band and can tell when it tells me "dont even think about it" lol.